Whole Foods Lifestyle For discussion of whole foods and more natural diets.

Old 01-09-2008, 11:13 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 166.5/135/120

Height: 5'8"

Default Soy Confused

I have heard so many different things about soy both good and bad. Some people claim it's got tons of health benefits (but is that because it's subsidized by the government) and some people claim it's bad for you and causes allergic reactions and other problems. Does anybody know for sure? Is it something I should eat more of or avoid or just in moderation? I am confused Any help out there on this topic?
FlabulessPhyllis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 11:33 AM   #2  
Meg

Phyllis, check out this thread from last fall: Is soy good or bad for us? It does a pretty good job of discussing all the pros and cons.
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 03:48 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 166.5/135/120

Height: 5'8"

Thanks Meg that was very helpful. I don't eat much soy but sometimes snack on roasted soy nuts and I was just wondering if it was doing more harm than good. I don't have a thyroid problem, no allergic reactions and have reached puberty so I guess eating soy nuts once in awhile is not going to kill me!
FlabulessPhyllis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 04:59 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 180/172/155

Height: 5'6"

You may also want to google the difference between fermented vs non fermented soy products.
In traditional asian cultures, fermented soy is eaten more often than in the states. fermented includes tempeh, miso and soy sauce. It is the unfermented such as tofu, soy milk, tvp, and processed foods that are problematic if over consumed.
Here is one such resource, i didn't read it all, it is long, but it touches on the new thinking that it is the non-fermented soy that is not good for you:http://www.westonaprice.org/soy/ploy.html

Last edited by kaebea; 01-09-2008 at 05:02 PM. Reason: forgot to add link
kaebea is offline   Reply With Quote