Old 01-08-2008, 07:08 AM   #1  
All things are possible!!

Default Not sure if I'm doing the right thing - would love your input

What do you think about this?

In addition to my "regular" job, I have a part-time job, too (for financial reasons). I go to my part-time job for an hour or so in the morning (starting around 5am) and then go back for a couple of hours in the evening. It is at a vet clinic - I walk dogs, clean up, etc.

I have been eating supper early - around 4:45 or so, then going to the vet clinic. I do not eat after supper. Then, in the morning, I head back to the clinic again - and don't eat breakfast until I get back.

I know that breakfast kicks off your metabolism, right? Am I doing the wrong thing by not eating breakfast before going to the clinic in the morning? Frankly, I don't know if I'm awake enough at 4:45 to make breakfast!
Havingfaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 07:24 AM   #2  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Hey! Wow, 4:45 is soooo early.

I'd say, don't make your "real" breakfast that early, but do have a snack--something that's easy, like 1/4-1/2 cup of 2% cottage cheese, or a glass of lowfat milk with a couple of crackers, or half an apple with 1/2 TBSP of peanut butter. Around 150 cals or less, just to get the ball rolling.

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 07:25 AM   #3  
Almost the Big 50!

S/C/G: Goal of 150!

Height: 5'8"

Something light may be a protein shake????
CyberGypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 07:28 AM   #4  
Former Quitter

S/C/G: 310/310/180

Height: 5'7

Maybe you can have a cup of skim milk, a protein bar or something very small. But, if you're not hungry yet, don't worry about it.
GirlyGirlSebas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 11:16 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 292/144/145

Height: 5'10"

You're still eating breakfast by 6:30ish, so I wouldn't worry about breakfast until you got back. 6:30 is still plenty early in the day and I don't know what plan you're on but I'd hate to see you use too many calories that early in the day, especially when you stop eating for the day before 5:00 p.m. You could set yourself up for being starving in the evening and that never helps.
Robin41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 01:41 PM   #6  
Smartypants

I agree with Robin... well, a combo of everybody LOL... eat something 150 cals or less, just to tide you over, maybe a piece of fruit or something, and then have your breakfast when you get back.
txangelgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 03:39 PM   #7  
Jen

Height: 5'3"

Depends on how you feel at that time (in the morning). Are you starving and you end up eating too much when you get home because you feel like you are going to keel over? Do you feel sluggish, more like going back to bed than walking dogs? Think about how you feel and base your decision on that.
Jen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 05:19 PM   #8  
All things are possible!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen View Post
Depends on how you feel at that time (in the morning). Are you starving and you end up eating too much when you get home because you feel like you are going to keel over? Do you feel sluggish, more like going back to bed than walking dogs? Think about how you feel and base your decision on that.

At that time of the morning, I'm just feeling tired! But seriously, I don't feel hungry when I go to the vet clinic, which is just odd to me, because I haven't eaten for 12 hours at that point.

I really like the idea of grabbing a small glass of skim milk before heading to work. I think I can definitely handle that! Thanks for all of your input. You are one WISE group!!!
Havingfaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 06:26 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 283/253/190

Height: 5'9"

I start the day off with a protein shake regardless of the time of day. My trainer thinks it's super important to have something to eat within 30 minutes of getting up & since I am not much of a morning person the shake fits the bill. You can get some that are low calorie & it does help your body starting kicking in that metabolism.
Lifeguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 09:57 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 274/?/175

Height: 5'8

I agree, have a glass of lowfat/non fat milk or a yogurt or something, and then your real breakfast when you get home that few hours later.

Lifeguard, what protein shake do you use? I haven't been able to find any that haven't been repulsive.

Last edited by djs06; 01-08-2008 at 09:57 PM.
djs06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 11:57 PM   #11  
Hooping my Life Away

S/C/G: 298/218.1/170

Height: 5'8"

I have to get up at 5:45 and work till 8:30. I don't really have time/wake enough to eat at that time. So, I take a slim fast muffin bar to tide me over till I get home to eat a real breakfast.
Daimere is offline   Reply With Quote