Old 01-08-2008, 07:32 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 288/ticker/145

Height: 5'5"

Default Exercise goal

I have been a non-exerciser for my whole adult life. I've never enjoyed exercise, but when I lost my breath walking up three flights of stairs last month, I realized that enjoyment has nothing to do with it. This is something I must do, for my health and my body's sake. The fact that it will help my weight loss goal is an added bonus.

So, I set myself a goal. It won't look like much of one to those people who exercise an hour a day, but for me it's a huge improvement over nothing. I am going to do 60 minutes this week. Since I'm doing the WATP one minute walk, that breaks down into 15 minutes 4 days a week.

I'm starting with weekly goal instead of a monthly one, because I know if I did a monthly goal I would be very tempted to only exercise the last part of the month. So, weekly goal. And if I don't meet it, well, I'll start again next Monday.
LisaF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 07:44 AM   #2  
Former Quitter

S/C/G: 310/310/180

Height: 5'7

Hi Lisa,

The first part of being successful is having a plan. You have a great plan! You will be amazed at how quickly you start to feel more energetic and how quickly your stamina will improve.
GirlyGirlSebas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 08:17 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 257/219/145

Everyone has to start somewhere, and I think your plan is great. You will build up to where you are doing more and more...and a lot quicker than you think if you really commit and stick with it. Good job on seeing that health is more than just what goes in the mouth. YOU CAN DO IT!
Purplefirefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 08:45 AM   #4  
The Radiant One

S/C/G: 250/142/135

Height: 5'2"

You can do it! Start slow, and don't be afraid to try other exercises. You may find something you really enjoy.

I had no idea how much I would love bike riding, until I bought one that fit me properly and got out there. Now it is my absolute favorite exercise!
fiberlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 10:03 AM   #5  
Kelly M

S/C/G: 246/147/150 WW Goal

You can do this, and it will get easier! You'll be working out longer and more frequently before you know it!
boaterswife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 11:52 AM   #6  
Hi From Canada, eh?

S/C/G: check the ticker :)

Height: 5'8

I'm right there with you! ugh i hate it! it's all in my head, because once I do it, it's not that bad and i can do more than i thought!

so i'm going to pledge too! I already pledged 10 lbs. in the valentine's contest, and I'm pledging to do the WATP 1-mile walk 3 x this week!

Last edited by Trazey34; 01-08-2008 at 11:53 AM.
Trazey34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 11:57 AM   #7  
Long Time Member

Height: 5'6

They say the key to exercise is doing something you love. I do water aerobics twice a week and each time I can't wait to go. I LOVE it. If you think it's wimpy, it's not - you get what you give. But my point is to try and find something you love to do.

I think you goal is great!!
Sandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 12:01 PM   #8  
Incredible Shrinking Sue

S/C/G: 284/146/150

Height: 5'6"

I love the WATP 1 mile! It was something I could do without having to be super coordinated to do other aerobic moves that some of the dvds have. I still do the 1 mile & sometimes the 2 mile one. I love the fact that it is such a great workout in such a short time too!

Because I was soooo out of shape when I started, I also tried Tai Chi to gain some flexibility & coordination and well, some gracefulness to my clunky, chunky frame. I would recommend it to everyone & I plan to do it always. I use the AM & PM workout to energize my body in the morning (well, I'm still waiting for THAT to happen! LOL) & relax my body & mind at night (that does work).

Weekly goals are good & much easier to keep. Sounds like a great plan!!!
suesully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 12:46 PM   #9  

Hi,

Just starting is the hardest part! The first time I tried a one mile workout, I lasted seven minutes (I'm not kidding!) Now I can do the four mile workouts (with some water breaks, though!) Once you form a habit, then try adding a few minutes more at a time. You don't have to jump right from one to two miles. You can do 1.5 miles or whatever feels best to you.

Best of luck!
Sherry
suzie76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 12:50 PM   #10  

Height: 5'8

Sounds like you're headed in the right direction. You have manageable goals and you're realistic that it might be hard at first & you may have to try a few times before you meet them. As long as you ready to hang in there & keep trying, you'll find yourself exceeding your goals before you know it.

Good luck with it & keep us posted on how you're doing.
nylisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 01:25 PM   #11  
Smartypants

I'm joining too - I will do 2 of Leslie's videos every day, for 2 miles a day; I did them last night and I actually enjoyed it!

I think your plan is great; it shows you have a goal, and you are making a commitment to yourself, which is more important than anything. The only thing I would say is, don't leave yourself room for error... tell yourself, "I'm gonna do it, I am worth it, and no matter what I'm gonna meet that 15 min a day goal. And you know what, it also work to plan ahead. For example, if you know you might miss a day somewhere in the week for time reasons, take those 15 minutes and spread them out into however many days adding time, for example you want to spread them out over two days, so on one day do 23 mins and the other do 22 minutes. And if you do end up missing, don't think it's the end of the world; just begin again!

We are all rooting for ya!
txangelgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 09:32 PM   #12  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trazey34 View Post
I'm right there with you! ugh i hate it! it's all in my head, because once I do it, it's not that bad and i can do more than i thought!

so i'm going to pledge too! I already pledged 10 lbs. in the valentine's contest, and I'm pledging to do the WATP 1-mile walk 3 x this week!
Yay! I'm glad to have the company. We can compare notes at the end of the week. Good luck with it!

Lisa
Old 01-12-2008, 12:11 AM   #13  

So, how are we all doing? I almost didn't do my 15 tonight, but then I forced myself to do it. I am determined to make my goal this week, as it would be terribly embarrasing if I couldn't even do *one week*. It's actually gotten a little easier; it takes me twice as long to feel like I'm going to keel over than it had. How long do you think it will take to be able to do the mile easily?

Txangelgirl and Trazey34, how are you both doing?

Lisa
Old 01-12-2008, 01:20 AM   #14  
Smartypants

Lisa!!!! How very sweet of you to ask!!! Well I admit I am back on scale obsession....I showed a 3 and a half lb loss this week, on one day, then my weight started coming back up a pound at a time ARGH!!!!!!!!!! I have been so angelically good Lisa.... I have stayed precisely on plan every second of every day, and I have exercised every day. Yet it is climbing! I do think I am ovulating....there is, um, "evidence" that I am...I wonder if that means AF is coming, which in turn might mean the weight is due to bloating? Wishful thinking. I got some Aquaban tonight just in case; the Lord knows I drink enough water LOL, so I don't think a day or two of water pills could do anything but help, if that is what's going on. Anyhoo, yes even today I was on plan, and I did my 2 miles, which makes the big 1-0 this week hooray!!! 10 miles holy cow, I cannot believe I have done that this week. More than ever before! Crazy. But I admit, I am disheartened. Until I saw that blasted post about weighing ourselves, I was flying by....but I let that get to me, and I shouldn't have, and now I have scale obsession again. I'm trying to stay inspired here....

Last edited by txangelgirl; 01-12-2008 at 01:23 AM.
Old 01-12-2008, 01:25 AM   #15  
Smartypants

PS Lisa I really believe if you give a beginner's Leslie Sansone Walk Off The Pounds tape a go, you'll find 1 mile is easily done! and this is someone who can't even do the treadmill or walk around the mall LOL! She has really saved my life when it comes to starting exercise, and doing it consistently, or, I should say.... being physically able to exercise every day. 3FC made me a believer to try it, and I'm so glad I did. I do 2 of her tapes every day, which each one is 1 mile. Give it a go! I promise you it will help you tremendously.

EDIT: I am such an airhead...I see you are doing the WATP LOL. It is 12:30am here in the Lone Star State and Holli is tired / wired LOL... I'm like, I hafta go to bed during the week but it's the weekend so in my ******ed noggin staying up late makes me feel like I have more weekend time hahaha. Hey whatever works right? BTW my daughter Hailey did WATP with me - the 30 minute walk one, which is 2 miles in half an hour! And she's 7 yrs old - go figure!!!

Last edited by txangelgirl; 01-12-2008 at 01:29 AM.