Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 01-07-2008, 07:09 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 211/165/155

Height: 5'4

Default In the Beginning...

Not sure if this should be in the Exercise or this forum, but here goes. When you all started to exercise, did you begin only with cardio, or did you include weight training in your workout? This is only the beginning of my process, and I've been including cardio AND weight training. Nothing too too serious, but I'm definitely hitting the machines. A friend told me she was only doing cardio because she didn't want the fat turn into muscle; she wanted to lose the fat first. Which lead me to those questions.
takeitSLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 07:15 PM   #2  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I started weight training long before I started cardio. I lost about 70 lbs before I did any cardio.

It is a myth that fat will turn into muscle. You burn fat, you build muscle and it is very hard to build muscle. Doing weight training will burn lots of fat.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 07:27 PM   #3  
Meg

I agree, fat can't turn into muscle -- it's physically impossible.

However, if it WAS possible, it would be a wonderful thing!! Unfortunately, we have to work for our muscle.

I started both cardio and weights at the same time, and totally believe that's the winning combination for fat loss. Cardio to burn calories, weights to build muscle to sustain our metabolisms and let us look great when the fat is gone. You are 100% doing it right by doing both from the beginning.
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 08:59 PM   #4  

Cardio, even in binge exercising, never did anything for me. WL has changed my body.
JerseyGirl69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 01:02 AM   #5  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

Height: 5'7

I started with just cardio. I'm now a yr. and a half into maintenance and I am doing weight lifting. Wishing I had done it from Day 1.
lilybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 01:48 AM   #6  
One life, live it well

S/C/G: 304|ticker|160

Height: 5'6½

"Last time" I really focused on cardio with weak WL attempts here and there. I'm eating the same way as before, but this time I'm hitting the weights regularly along with good cardio amounts. It's been a little over a month and I'm soooo impressed with my body changes already. I haven't lost HUGE amts of weight but in the past it took losing 20+ pounds for me to notice it in my clothing and for others to notice. I'm already experiencing both!
Nori71 is offline   Reply With Quote