Old 01-07-2008, 05:55 PM   #1  
All things are possible!!

Default A weird random thought

I realized that fruit cocktail (in pear juice, not syrup) for dessert is actually really, really sweet! It has been about a week since I've had anything sugarry. We have been "treating" ourselves to sugar-free Jell-O for dessert, which is also really good. But boy that fruit was SWEET!

It made me think - I have always been a big fan of chocolate. ANY kind of chocolate. And I know others have tasted a chocolate dessert and said something like, "Whoa, that's really rich", and I didn't get that at all. Is that because I was so used to eating chocolate daily that its sweetness/richness didn't really register with me?
Havingfaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 06:09 PM   #2  
Face down in Cabo!

S/C/G: WOE - Atkins

Height: 5'10

I've had that same experience. I don't know if there is any science behind it. My guess would be if you use the same taste buds all the time eating the same foods, maybe you burn them out? Sort of like the way mom's can't smell dirty diapers after a while? Just a guess!
CT Cabo Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 06:20 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 273/260.1/163

Height: 5'7"

You tastes change as you change your diet - I've lost the taste for many things as I've not had it for a while. It's good though! I think lots of veggies almost cleanse my pallet .. if that somehow makes sense!

-Aimee
SwimGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 07:07 PM   #4  
Smartypants

yes that is exactly right! It's cause your taste buds grew unaccustomed to sugars, so when you placed sugars back on them, they're like "wow". They're heightened.
txangelgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 07:50 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 166.5/135/120

Height: 5'8"

yeah that happened to me too. I was so used to eating sweets that it didn't register that something was rich. Now when I eat them I'm ok with just a little cuz they'll seem overpoweringly rich. it makes it easier to know when to stop so it's a plus!
FlabulessPhyllis is offline   Reply With Quote