Old 01-04-2008, 04:59 PM   #1  

Default Dining out or Fast Food for a last resort...

Along the same lines as the earlier post regarding a Japanese steakhouse, what are the best options for places to eat when you absolutely have to go out? Its only my husband and I, so picking up fast food was our easy and economical meal at least once or twice a week. Last night, we cheated a little bit and had the Santa Fe Salad from Arby's... We decided it could have been worse and we could have eaten Taco Bell or pizza like we used to, and that warded off a little bit of the guilt.

So...what would you suggest? If its the absolute last option?
brittanyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 05:28 PM   #2  

Chic filet and Subway have recieved good ratings for healthy'er fast food places. The grilled chicken wrap from Chic filet is great and comes with dressing on the side so you can put as much on as you like.

My hubby and I also like sushi, either to eat in or to go. We only eat the cooked kind. No raw fish for me. If you haven't tried it check it out. It is yummy. And is a nice option for dining out.
OneXSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 06:08 PM   #3  
Cecilia

S/C/G: 205/Check the Ticker/155

Height: 5'2

OneX I have a question does the Sushi you eat have tempura breading on it?
cecil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 07:39 PM   #4  
LAWL Salt Police

I can answer that one too, Cecilia.. Liz and I are sushi fanatics... Best if you stay away from the tempura stuff if you can.. It may be small, but it's still fried.. And don't forget to save up your starches for it..

As far as fast food goes, do the new menu guides not have exchanges and suggestions for eating out? As long as you save your starches, you can get away with an OCCASSIONAL burger (no cheese) from McDonalds as well as pizza, which counts as a carb craver. Just stay away from the fries and the ranch dressing (for pizza dipping)...

At taco bell, you can have one taco (SO not satisfying).. Liz and I usually get the fiesta taco salad. Get it with no sour cream or beans, and ask for extra lettuce.. And try not to eat any of the shell (something I have a REALLY hard time not doing)...
Dan2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 09:09 PM   #5  
That's me on the left

S/C/G: 295/221.5/195

At McDonalds you can get the grilled chicken sandwich, no mayo, and it counts as 2S and 1P. You can also get the salads, just watch the dressings, and count them as 2V (yeah!) and 1P.

I go to TB on occasion and have been surprised that it does somewhat fill me up. I get either a Tostada, fresco style (which means no sauce or cheese) or a beef gordita, fresco style both of which count as 2S and 1/2P.

Dan, how exactly do you count that Taco Salad? I would guess 1P, 2V?
mgresso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 09:14 PM   #6  
Time to get back on track

S/C/G: 295/295/150

Height: 5'8

I really enjoy Rubio's... they have a Healthmex menu which offers tacos and burritos on whole wheat tortillas and salads. They are very good... and SUPER satisfying! It's all fresh, so it's good.

I really love Chipotle too... as long as you watch what you're getting. I get their bowls or salad now. No sour cream (ick!) or rice and you're pretty good... I love mexican food!
michie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 10:00 PM   #7  

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan2112 View Post
I can answer that one too, Cecilia.. Liz and I are sushi fanatics... Best if you stay away from the tempura stuff if you can.. It may be small, but it's still fried.. And don't forget to save up your starches for it..

As far as fast food goes, do the new menu guides not have exchanges and suggestions for eating out? As long as you save your starches, you can get away with an OCCASSIONAL burger (no cheese) from McDonalds as well as pizza, which counts as a carb craver. Just stay away from the fries and the ranch dressing (for pizza dipping)...

At taco bell, you can have one taco (SO not satisfying).. Liz and I usually get the fiesta taco salad. Get it with no sour cream or beans, and ask for extra lettuce.. And try not to eat any of the shell (something I have a REALLY hard time not doing)...
Hey Dan,
Carb cravers - do not exist on the new numbered plans.

Here is a repeat of my earlier post from the Losers and Friends Thread -
I am sorry to say that Carb cravers do not exist on the numbered plans. They were replaced by quick combos. Pizza counts as 1/2 protein/2starches/1fat for 1 plain or vegetable slice (mushroom, broccoli or spinach), pizza shop style; 7" long by 6" crust (1 slice of large 14" pizza); pat oil.
The fiesta taco salad at Taco Bell is 880 calories; 82 grams carbohydrates; 46 grams of fat; 1800 mg sodium - yikes! Even if you don't eat the shell, it is definitely not on plan. This used to be one of my favorites before LAWL and I had to lose it in order to lose the pounds.

Lynn
LAWL franchise center
total lost 61.5 lbs.
Current weight
Original goal of 50 lbs lost – achieved
New goal to lose total of 65 lbs

Last edited by Lynx; 01-05-2008 at 07:08 AM. Reason: to add in grams of fat
Lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 01:09 AM   #8  
LAWL Salt Police

Geez Lynn.. You take the fun out of everything.. I would imagine that the sodium and calories you listed includes the salad if you eat the beans and sour cream, through, right?

Guess I'm behind the times with my plan information.. However, it makes more sense the way pizza is counted now than it did as a carb craver...
Dan2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 10:43 AM   #9  

Height: 5'2"

Hi Brittany,
I just wanted to say that my restaurant of choice is Applebees. I am a big fan of their WW menu items. The portion sizes are appropriate, in my opinion.
To help make my decision I refer to the frozen meal guidelines in the numbered plans - calories 200-300; carbs less than 40; protein at least 14; fat less than 10 grams; sodium less than 750.
For instance -

STEAK & PORTOBELLOS - this one is pretty close to the guidelines
Juicy, flame-grilled sirloin steak topped with sliced, sautéed portobello mushrooms and a savory brown sauce. Paired with steamed herb potatoes and seasonal vegetables. 330 calories, 10 grams of fat; 8 grams of fiber

GRILLED CHILI-LIME CHICKEN SALAD
Seasoned grilled chicken breast atop a bed of fresh spinach, tossed with red onions, roasted red peppers, sliced fresh mushrooms and reduced-fat cheddar and mozzarella cheeses. Served with a chili-lime vinaigrette dressing
250 calories; 6 grams of fat; 6 grams of fiber

Shrimp Skewers - similar to the Steak and Shrimp Skewers - I do not have the exact nutritional details on that one.

Hope this helps

P.S. I have to say that you look exactly like my niece who lives in NC. Wow, I can't get over the resemblance.

Lynn
LAWL franchise center
total lost 61.5 lbs.
Current weight
Original goal of 50 lbs lost – achieved
New goal to lose total of 65 lbs
Lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 12:08 PM   #10  

Thanks so much! This helps tremendously! Again, not an every night situation, but good to know just in case!
Old 01-07-2008, 01:07 PM   #11  
TBL Challenge Blue Team

S/C/G: 308/199/175

Height: 5'6"

We like the Ruby Tuesdays. My DH gets the Salad Bar and Turkey Minis Combo and I get the Salad Bar and Regular Minis (I just can't do the Turkey ones, which is really bad considering my 8 year old eats them).

We combine them on to 1 bun and that does away with a starch, then 1 of us gets broccoli instead of the French Fries (BOO HOO) and the other gets a potato and we split the potato and Broccoli. With the salad, I just about manage to get my veggies in for the day ... which is hard for me. Oh, we lose the Onion Fries on the Minis (not that you get much of them, but they are fried)

Depending on your condements, it generally counts it as: 1P, 3S (the potato counts 2 even though you only get half because of the size), 2-3V, 1F (if you do butter on the potato)

It chews through your starches, but it is nice once in a while and doesn't cost an arm and a leg for us to eat there.
krjpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 02:56 PM   #12  
Kelly

S/C/G: 216/180/150

Height: 5'5"

With 2 active kids we unfortunately have to eat out quite a bit and I really try to plan into the day what I can have when we will be eating out. It can be so hard, but what I have learned to do if we are going someplace we have never been before is to look at menu's on-line in advance. I pick out the healthiest option before going, plan the rest of my day accordingly and NEVER open the menu when we are there, so I am not tempted to change my mind. Most places you can at least get a grilled chicken and salad or seafood and don't be afraid to ask for changes to have it made the way you want...no cheese...no mayo...etc.
StevenBensMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 03:21 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 207/?/160

Height: 5'8"

Brittany, I don't know if they have Baja Fresh where you are at, but it is a good choice. They have a great salad that is totally on plan. Wendy's can have some good selections also. If you have saved your two starches, they actually have combo meals that you can order a salad and a ff salad dressing. They also have a large variety of salads... although you have to be careful with some of the additional items to put on, but normally you have to assemble these yourself, so it is very easy to leave off the almonds or crutons or whatever if you don't have the exchanges for those. Just don't open the little bag and add them... I read on Dan's web site that the McDonald's oriental chicken salad was lower calorie than the wendy's so that can be a good choice. If they give you dressing in a little tub, I often just dip my fork in the dressing and then spear my salad, and that way I use about 1/3 of the dressing that I normally would have poured on. That way you can actually use the 1 tablespoon that they recommend of the dressing and not feel like your salad was half dry.
BarbaraB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 03:31 PM   #14  

Good idea. That's what I felt the worst about with the Arby's salad was the dressing. Thanks!
Old 01-07-2008, 04:19 PM   #15  
Kristen-LAWL

S/C/G: 251/215/155

Height: 5 8 1/2"

Brittany
I'm up 'north' in Canada but we like to try to eat out when we can. We have a chain here called Extreme Pita and we get a whole wheat pita stuffed with grilled chicken and pick all the veggie toppings we can. We stay away from the sauces but it still tastes good. We also go to the mainstream restaurants like Kelseys and order chicken sandwiches or wraps on whole wheat with side salads. I usually take my Hellmans spritzers in my bag so I can have more taste on my salad than a measly tbsp of the restaurant kinds. We also try to find places that offer seafood or meats that we can order grilled, pass on any potatoes or rice and get all veg instead. It's hard at first but I get such a joy out of not cooking for my family that anything anyone else makes tastes great!
KrispieD is offline   Reply With Quote