The Biggest Loser - Winning by Losing For discussion of the NBC tv show The Biggest Loser and the book Winning by Losing, by Jillian Michaels

Old 01-05-2008, 02:18 PM   #1  
weight watchers

S/C/G: 211/211/150

Default Do you think that is right??

Last week when I was watching TBL, they said on there that drinking water increases metabolism...Does anyone know if that is true, or were they just pushing that water bottle?

Thanks!
Old 01-05-2008, 03:27 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 185/168/150

Height: 5'8

http://www.weightlossforall.com/bene...r-drinking.htm
Old 01-05-2008, 03:44 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 266 / 179 / 165

Height: 5'7"

Hi, I googled it, as I did not catch that on the show, and I got as many sites supporting it as discounting it. Some said that cold water required the body to warm it up to process it, while others said that was bunk. i know that it does fill you up so you eat less or feel fewer hunger pains, and it does help other parts of your body work better. So while it's good yes, I wouldn't swear that it revs the metab. just on its own. Interested tho to see what others think.

Last edited by sportmom; 01-05-2008 at 03:48 PM.
Old 01-05-2008, 03:48 PM   #4  

Height: 5'8"

I had read somewhere at sometime that if you were feeling sluggish to drink a glass of water...so, I do and it helps.

I know it is not scientfic but it seems to work for me!
Old 01-05-2008, 04:02 PM   #5  
Wannabe Health Nut!

S/C/G: 228/ticker/128

Height: 5"4

I used to be (and sometimes still am) constantly dehydrated.. For me, it caused a MOUNTAIN of problems.. Fatigue, irritability, headaches, nausea, dizziness.. It's amazing all the things that simple dehydration can cause. So, while it may or may not rev the metabolism, by allowing the body to be fully hydrated, and thus working at peak performance, I would think that the metabolism WOULD be affected just by the opposite way of thinking - if I'm dehydrated, my body isn't working at peak, therefore my metabolism isn't working at peak.

Anyway, I think all these things about 'quick fix' ways to up the metabolism (as with any 'quick fix') should be taken with a grain (or pile) of salt. The best ways to up the metabolic process are gaining muscle, eating small frequent (and healthy, clean) meals and moving around.

There HAVE been some studies (which always seem to be dis-proven later) which say spicy foods like cinnamon, the capascin (sp?) in hot peppers, cumin, etc. can temporarily spike the metabolism, but their effects are somewhat short-lived and minimal.
Old 01-05-2008, 06:15 PM   #6  
Former Quitter

S/C/G: 310/310/180

Height: 5'7

I've copied the thread where I asked a question about the water issue. As you can see, I received many varied responses. I hate drinking water. Sometimes, I'll make myself drink it just because I think I should. But, I have trouble staying on-plan and making myself exercise, so most of my focus is on those two subjects. Maybe, when I get a handle on them, I'll focus on the water.

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/show...ighlight=water
Old 01-05-2008, 07:53 PM   #7  
Accepting who she is

S/C/G: 173/see ticker/138

Height: 5'5"

I read in Shape last year that another benefit is liver function. If you are dehydrated,your liver has to work a lot harder to get rid of toxins. Getting rid of toxins is the first job of th liver. If it is struggling to do that, it cannot get rid of fat as easily; all of its effort is toward toxins, not fat.
Old 01-05-2008, 09:54 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 266 / 179 / 165

Height: 5'7"

very interesting........
Old 01-06-2008, 07:41 AM   #9  
weight watchers

S/C/G: 211/211/150

*That* was some interesting reading! I never really realized how much it can effect weight loss. I read the post and abstract about the studies, but man, all these women can not be wrong, if they all say it effects their weight loss, skin, fatigue, ete. Their has to be *something* to it! And I am usually very skeptical when it comes to the medical establishment, anyway.

All though I am with the lady who says she hates public restrooms! They give me the creeps for some reason, always have! LOL
Old 01-06-2008, 08:01 PM   #10  
I believe in myself

S/C/G: 257/200/160

Height: 5'8

I've seen a difference in my skin from consiously making sure I'm getting a minimum of 64oz a day of water. I'm shooting for half my body weight, but cold weather makes it hard for me to drink water, summer, no problem.
Old 01-08-2008, 05:55 PM   #11  
FoodieMama

S/C/G: 325/160/165

Height: 5'9"

I live in the extremely arid climate of Colorado, and I find that if I don't drink enough water I feel horrible! I have a hard time regulating my body temperature, I get headaches, my hands and lips are constantly dry and flaking, and I feel parched. I also am shooting for 1/2 my body weight in water, but typically get in 64-96 oz. per day. I find it definitely helps me in my weight loss efforts, as well. The only other thing I drink regularly is coffee in the morning and milk with meals.
Old 02-29-2008, 03:32 PM   #12  
banned

it does if its ice water b/c the temperature o=f it rtevs metabolism by burning extra cals to warm it to a temp. your body can tolerate. also in general, your metab will hold everything if not properly hydrated