Closed Thread

Old 01-04-2008, 08:54 AM   #1  
Onward and Downward

S/C/G: 285/215/1??

Height: 5'2"

Default 'volumetrics' - Jan/feb 2008

Welcome . . . . . . Thought we should have a new start once again . . . Hope this will become one of your favourite places at 3FC . . .

VOLUMETRICS is not new, it just hasn't been making as big a splash in the weight loss community as some of the better known plans. I first discovered Volumetrics about a year or two ago thanks to the review on 3FC. After reading the review I went and bought both of the books and decided the Principles of Volumetrics was something I could live with . . . forever.

VOLUMETRICS explains how to FEEL FULL ON FEWER CALORIES . . . and let's face it, most of us don't stick with something very long, if we feel totally deprived all the time. The guiding principle is to get the 'highest volume of food at the lowest cost in calories' by choosing foods with a lower ED (Energy Density). BTW, 3FC has a data-base of over 7000 foods and is one of the few that includes the ED for all the items.

What foods have a lower ED? Basically, those that contain the highest water and fibre contents . . . for example; we all know that grapes and raisins start out as the same fruit, right? Raisins simply have had the water content removed. Did you know that 1/4 cup of raisins contains about 100 calories? More importantly . . . did you know that you can eat almost 2 full cups of grapes for the same 100 calories! I know which would make me feel fuller and stay fuller for longer . . . how about you?

Anyway, enough of my blathering for now . . . Please come and join our little discussion group as we help each other make our way along the long and winding road to better health and fitness the VOLUMETRICS way . . . hope to see you all soon . . .
Old 01-04-2008, 09:04 AM   #2  
Onward and Downward

Hi there everybody . . .

Well, I am back home . . . after a particularly harrowing three hour drive from the airport on Wednesday night -- trip is usually under an hour and a half -- in blizzard conditions. My luggage didn't get here until after 5 pm yesterday, however. Somebody else grabbed it at the airport. think I'm going to stencil cats (or something) all over it to make if look unusual since people obviously don't bother to read the name tags.

Everything is okay with the cats -- although they did manage to break a few things while I was gone. Guess they were bored. Nothing that can't be replaced. At least they all seem to be in good health.

Health-wise . . . well, I'm starting January five pounds heavier than I started December. Considering the garbage I've been eating and the exercise I have not been doing, things could be worse. As soon as I visit a few more places around 3FC, I'll update my profile comments and my ticker to reflect the latest venture down the long and bumpy road to better health and fitness.

Hope this will be a great year for all of us, gang . . . see you soon . . .
Old 01-04-2008, 01:36 PM   #3  
Viva la vida loca!

S/C/G: 360/329/297 (second 10%)

Height: 5'6"

Hello!

I tracked this thread down and am glad I found it!

Just getting started with the Volumetrics idea. It may not be a flashy way to lose the pounds, but the results speak for themselves!

I read much of the other Volumetrics threads and hope maybe others will come this way.

Thank you, meowee, for continuing this thread. Hopes all goes well on the scale!

Oh, by the way -- I'm Claire, really overweight and wanting to lose the extra pounds in a healthy manner. I've owned so many diet books and programs and tried everything (at least it feels that way) to get this stubborn fat off me. I think Volumetrics may be the answer.

Cheers!
Old 01-04-2008, 07:18 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 224/see ticker/130

Height: 5'1''

Linda- Welcome back home! I'm glad to hear the cats are healthy. I had to up my ticker after the holidays too.

Welcome to the group Claire!

Everyone have a great weekend
Old 01-04-2008, 11:17 PM   #5  

Hi! I found the book at my local library and I am already learning sooo much. Its really common sense, but of course you can't make a lot of money on something that isn't flashy and most of all making you sick, I guess that's why I had never heard of it.

I finally worked my way to the recipes and I can't wait to get my shopping list together with all the good things. And the idea that I can still have my favorite foods, combined with healthy choices... I'm all for it.

I look forward of course to learning more and getting rid of the last 40+ pounds!
Old 01-05-2008, 12:39 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 202/ticker/135

Hey, Linda, glad to see you back. Also happy to hear that the cats are well. I'll bet they were glad to see you after they got done giving you the cold shoulder .

Welcome, Christin!

I imagine I will have to adjust my ticker up. I haven't weighed for a few days because I was so high - I am hoping some of it was due to all the ham I ate (water retention).

I did really well today until I had a few cashews and a very modest serving of Ben and Jerry's chocolate fudge frozen yogurt. I never should have bought the frozen yogurt, but I had never seen it before and felt like I had to try it as my contribution to research.
Old 01-05-2008, 10:55 AM   #7  
Liz

S/C/G: 229/185/150

Welcome home, Linda! And welcome also to Claire and Christin! This is by far the easiest and most effective "diet" I've ever been on, but it's still not magic, and you have to be really aware of what you're putting into your mouth. I think the biggest ingredient is your personal mindset, and deciding that this will be a new way of life for you, not a temporary diet.

and that's my sermon for now. Like Gail, I'm waiting to do my official weigh-in, just so that everything bad I've eaten gets a chance to stick to my body. When I have a true weight, I'll know what I have to deal with. I actually don't think it's going to be too bad. I made sure I stuffed veggies in between everything bad I ate, so hopefully that affected the amount of bad stuff I ate.

Have a great weekend everybody!
Old 01-05-2008, 02:14 PM   #8  
Onward and Downward

Great big to each of CLAIRE and CHRISTIN. So glad to have you joining us. I know you will enjoy the site and I know you will do well with the principles of Volumetrics, too.

Well gang . . . don't know how I've found so much stuff that has to be done so urgently so early in the year . . . but I have. Hey, it's helping me to stay on track. Yesterday was pretty good (a little too much starchy stuff, though) and so far today is going great. Helps that the sun is shining and the temperatures are sneaking up to near the freezing mark (which is fairly much the seasonal norm around here) and the Khat Khids seem to have finally forgiven me.

Well, I'd better get back to work. Hope everybody has a great day of doing the good stuff. Keep things moving and shaking, gang . . .
Old 01-05-2008, 04:12 PM   #9  

Happy Saturday!! I'm keeping on track with my goals Yeah me! It's been a hard struggle for me. I love food and was totally out of control during the holidays. But now on day 4 on the plan I'm finally feeling more in control.
Old 01-06-2008, 09:21 AM   #10  

Height: 5ft 5.5in

Hello everyone! My first week attempting to get back on track was a mixed bag. Some days really good, some days - well let's just say those sugar cookies were really good. I think last week was still part of the holidays, half my office was gone. This week will be better, back to normal, back to watching what I eat and keeping it as volumetric as possible! Good luck to us all!
Old 01-06-2008, 11:11 AM   #11  

Morning everyone,
I got to move my ticker down 1 pound. I know it's not much but baby steps. Have a great day!
Old 01-06-2008, 06:11 PM   #12  
Liz

S/C/G: 229/185/150

Congratulations Teacher! And so early in the year, too!

Here's to all of us seeing out tickers go down, too!
Old 01-07-2008, 06:55 AM   #13  
Onward and Downward

Hi gang . . .

Wow, life has been a little chaotic recently. Hopefully things will get back to normal (read dull and boring) really soon and I'll get more time to chat. At least the eating has been pretty good for the past couple of days and the weather -- although dull -- is definitely a lot warmer.

Have a great day . . . See you soon . . .
Old 01-07-2008, 12:40 PM   #14  
Viva la vida loca!

S/C/G: 360/329/297 (second 10%)

Thanks so much for the welcome! I am also a cat person and am enjoying the kitty avatars!

I am already having some results from this way of eating. This morning, my ankles weren't so swollen and my feet looked normal for the first time in three years.

I'm sold on this!!

Our temp is supposed to hit 71 today -- about thirty degrees above normal, and will plummet back into the 30s by the weekend. I'm going between two wardrobes!!!

Have a great Monday, all!!
Old 01-07-2008, 04:36 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 202/ticker/135

I am not sure what I am trying to say in the following rambling paragraphs. I think it is that volumetric principles work pretty darned well utill you mess it up with a high density meal.

I had a bad food day yesterday. I went out for breakfast. Hoping to get a smaller portion, I ordered from the senior menu. I had an omlette, hashbrowns and sour dough toast - I didn't even think to ask for the toast without butter. The omlette had bacon and cheese in it. It was all good, but I could tell that it was greasy - read high energy dense. I also had a small piece of cake. Well, I wasn't hungry again until dinner, so I ate a good healthy dinner - a big salmon salad and vegetable soup and 6 oz of 1% milk. The problem was that by bed time, I was ravenously hungry and ate a half a big milk chocolate candy bar and a bowl full of oyster crackers.

I learned a couple of things. First, don't eat such an energy dense meal - it totally messes up the rest of the day. I could have ordered a salad. I just didn't think of it. Second, the volumetrics book mentions that the weight of the food is important. the omlette didn't weigh nearly as much as the ones I make at home because I smother them with veggies and soy or chicken sausage crumbles. I probably should have eaten something else later in the afternoon. Between not eating in the afternoon and choosing a pretty light dinner, I ended up starving too late in the day.

The small piece of cake I had was worth it. The breakfast was not. Part of my "not thinking" has to do with my hardly ever eating out except for Sizzler where I get the salad bar. I don't usually have to try to figure out what I can eat at a restaurant.

When I make my own food, it is always pretty. My omlette has parsley or something sprinkled on it. My fruit bowl has a bit of fresh mint on it. I use those little red, yellow and orange peppers to garnish some of my meals. The breakfast I had at the restaurant didn't have a single garnish. Yellow eggs, white bread, white potatoes. Pretty is important. Speak to as many senses as possible when trying to achieve satiety.

The volumetrics book also mentions drinking smoothies with lots of air incorporated. I think I am going to try to figure out a smoothie recipe that I can drink for a bedtime snack. I keep waking up or not going to sleep because I am hungry.

It appears that I have gained about two pounds from my holiday season excesses. That is really pretty good, although having to loose two pounds again is discouraging.
Closed Thread