Closed Thread

Old 01-03-2008, 12:07 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 298/298/150

Height: 5'6"

Default I want to rock

I'm in a band, and I can't rock out properly cause I'm always out of breath. I wonder what kind of exercise is good for that.
I gotta get hot... No one wants to look at a sweaty cow heaving around to a rockin song. Any advice... or friends?
Old 01-03-2008, 12:29 PM   #2  
Colleen

S/C/G: 155/131/120

Height: 5'1"

Talking

As you lose weight it'll get easier, but I think you need to quit being so hard on yourself.

Beth Ditto of The Gossip was voted NME's "Coolest Person in Rock." So, I think you're wrong, *lots* of people want to see a fat girl rocking out.

That and I've haven't seen many bands who move a lot that *don't* get nasty and sweaty regardless of size.
Old 01-03-2008, 12:39 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 298/298/150

i mean heaving (as in breathing)... like.. unable to sing... lol. yikes... my guitar intros/solos is the only time i really get to rock out without like killing myself.
Old 01-03-2008, 03:59 PM   #4  
doing it right this time

S/C/G: 230/192/140

Height: 5'8"

oh man.... LOVE Beth Ditto. Keira Knightley is also quoted several times saying that she thinks Beth Ditto is extremely sexy and she wishes she could look as great as Beth does.... interesting, dont you think?
Old 01-04-2008, 05:23 PM   #5  
Bewitchin' in the kitchen

Pilates might be a good exercise to try. I found it good for my abs. I also do belly dancing which helped my stomach, abs and thighs/butt area and was also a good cardio workout.
Old 01-04-2008, 05:37 PM   #6  

Any cardio exercise with help increase your lung capacity. Walking, short bursts of jogging, just about any exercise video, yoga, pilates, hiking, dancing. You love to rock, so get out there and dance for exercise (on the days you are not singing.)
Old 01-04-2008, 08:07 PM   #7  
in F major

S/C/G: 278/223/178

Height: 6'

In my experience there is no ready to rock. The only way to do it is to just do it. The more you rock out the more you'll be able to rock out. Call it rehearsal if you want - but every day you can find a reason to turn it up, belt it out and sweat like you mean it.

Reacting to your favorite music and/or performing your own is way better than exercise to me. It's got some of the same physical benefits but imparts a deeper satisfaction.

How many calories does moshing burn anyway?
Old 01-05-2008, 02:53 AM   #8  
Mango Empress

S/C/G: 275/check my ticker!/145

I sang in a metal band for 3 1/2 years before i moved to Sweden. The way i trained my body and lungs to be ready for stage was to go all out in rehursals too. I'd get all nasty and sweaty, but i could kill on stage because of it. There's nothing quite like diving off stage into the middle of a moshpit with your microphone ::grinz::
Old 01-28-2008, 06:44 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 240/176/155

Height: 5'7"

I love this thread and I wish I'd seen it earlier! Anyway...

I'm a big fan of the air guitar and I'm also addicted to karaoke. Or I love to air "mic" it in the kitchen when I'm blasting music to rock out to and cooking up a storm. You've got stage presence already, so rock it in your own kitchen. Because I loved dancing so much and "rocking out", I would attribute this to my some of first work-outs when I started getting in shape.
I also used to play electric violin in a black metal band, where I had some vocal parts. It also got pretty sweaty under those heat lamps. I have some not-so-appealing photographs from a couple shows where I'm dripping in sweat. It goes with the territory.
Closed Thread