Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 01-03-2008, 09:47 AM   #1  
LLV

Default Finally found a way to sneak veggies in on my son

I've tried to sneak vegetables in on my vegetable-hating 8-year-old son many times and have failed. Forget about chopping them up real fine, he'll notice and push the entire meal away. He eats NO vegetables whatsoever, except for the occasional carrot. He'll sometimes (but not often) eat baby carrots dipped in ranch dressing.

But my son is now eating cauliflower, carrots, butternut squash and sweet potatoes...... and he doesn't even know it.

I've started buying jars of baby food; the carrots, squash and sweet potatoes. He loves things like Chef Boyardee spaghetti and spaghetti o's, mac & cheese and beans & weenies. I've found that the jarred baby food can easily be mixed into these foods and he hasn't noticed at all. The cauliflower is eaten when I make him homemade mac & cheese. I cook the cauli until it's super tender, then puree it and mix it in with the cheese sauce.

Now if I could just find a way to sneak the green baby foods in, like peas and broccoli. Problem there is he doesn't eat anything that the green color could be disguised in.

Thought I'd share this for mom's out there trying to find ways of sneaking vegetables in on their kids and also if anyone has any tips on this subject, please feel free to share. I'm open to more suggestions
LLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 01:48 PM   #2  
it's always something

We recently reviewed two cookbooks that were based on using pureed fruits and veggies to sneak more nutrition into kids meals. You might find some great ideas in them

The Sneaky Chef
Deceptively Delicious

Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 02:12 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 355/314.4/279 (short-term)

Height: 5'5"

Those are excellent ideas! Very sneaky, but necessary! haha
Vicky88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 02:44 PM   #4  
~~Maintainer!~~

S/C/G: 346/186/186

Height: 5' 9"

I have read the Deceptively Delicious cookbook and I think it has some great ideas. I don't have it here beside me, but she uses pureed vegetables in many of her recipes. There was even a baked "chicken nugget" recipe where she pureed veggies and used them as the binding with white chicken meat. It was very creative. I did try a ranch dressing recipe from the book that used pureed navy beans as the base. It tasted really good. So far that's the only recipe I've tasted.

Tonight we're having turkey enchiladas, and I'm using spaghetti squash as a "filler" with the meat. It has no taste but fills me up for fewer calories. You can really smush it up so that it blends in with the enchilada sauce pretty well.

The deceptive delicious cookbook had a brownie recipe with a green veggie. I just can't remember which green veggie. Seems like it was broccoli.
jtammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 03:25 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 209/209/160

Height: 5'9

I sneak veggies into almost everything just because I like the extra bulk. Just last night I made soup for this week's lunches: it's a thai-style chicken curry soup, with mushrooms and coconut milk. I sauteed onion, carrot, zucchini and a parsnip along with the ginger and garlic at the beginning and then pureed it all before I put the chicken and mushrooms in. You can't tell the veggies are there at all--they just add to the overall 'creaminess' of the dish. Some veggies, especially zucchini, are particularly good at hiding in dishes. I put shredded zuccs in nearly everything and you never even notice them.
baffled111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 04:45 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 135/130/125

Height: 5'6

Ophrah has a bunch of her recipes on her website- including the chicken nugget one with broccoli. I can't help but laugh.. its so deceitful but hey it works. I had no problem eating veggies when I was little. Tonight were having baked brussel sprouts, my favorite.
ILoveLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 05:53 PM   #7  
LLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILoveLove View Post
Ophrah has a bunch of her recipes on her website- including the chicken nugget one with broccoli. I can't help but laugh.. its so deceitful but hey it works. I had no problem eating veggies when I was little. Tonight were having baked brussel sprouts, my favorite.
I looked over her site but I'm finding nothing about the recipes.

Do you have a direct link?

Thanks
LLV is offline   Reply With Quote