Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Closed Thread

Old 01-01-2008, 10:35 AM   #1  
Mel

Default Happy New Year! Jan 1, 2008 - Jan 15, 2008

Happy New Year!

I'm very glad to see the rear end of December 2007 Food is still piled around my house, but like millions of other "resolutioners", today is a NEW Year! Out with the old means about 3 pounds of cheeses, carrot cake, and chocolate. In reality, my dh will put it all somewhere, won't tell me where, and he and ds will continue to whittle away the piles of calories.

I have learned from this December, that I'm nowhere near bullet-proof. I guess I'm a slow learner. I was sick enough for 2 weeks that real workouts were out of the question, then off work for almost another 2 weeks with a houseful of people who expected lavish meals, wine and desserts. My clothes are tight and 5:30 am cardio will be a rude shock tomorrow morning! But I WILL do it. I don't like the sluggish, puffy feeling at all and there's only one way to get rid of it that I've found: clean food and effective workouts.

I've heard enough good things about "the New Rules of Lifting" that I'm going to use my Barnes and Noble gift card to buy it- probably my first actual purchase of a exercise/diet book in about 5 years Change can be good!

So what's up for 2008 in your world?

Mel
Old 01-01-2008, 11:10 AM   #2  
Out there trying

S/C/G: 185/127/125

Height: 5'4"

Mel - I wish you nothing but the best but I must say, it's good to know that you're human!

I managed my December goal of maintaining my weight so I'm thrilled about that. There were certainly a few splurges but I think this goal really helped me. Keeping in mind that all I wanted to do was not gain stopped me from probably gaining a few pounds by focusing on good eating on most days but it also was practical.

I have though, also been slacking a bit on the workouts simply because if I'm not at work, I don't do much. Tomorrow is back to normal and I think I too will purchase that book and try to make some changes to my workouts and maybe tweak the eating a bit. Nothing too crazy but it's time for a little change.

everyone. Things are looking a bit snowy here today so it may be time for some shoveling later.

ETA - I just went to Amazon and ordered the book! The description sounded like exactly what I'm looking for. Here's hoping!

Last edited by elisa822; 01-01-2008 at 11:27 AM.
Old 01-01-2008, 02:25 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 209/209/160

Height: 5'9

Hi everyone. Happy new year!!

My bf pre-ordered me NRLW for xmas but it hasn't arrived yet, grumble, grumble. It's time for me to mix up my routine again and I'm hoping there'll be enough something 'new' in it for me--I've been doing versions of the man-program for the last couple of months. Let's hope the programs aren't basically identical.

My body is screaming at me today. I had to take about 10 days off from lifting while I was away for the holidays and just got back to it yesterday. I was SO WEAK. I had to drop my weights on most of my exercises and today my body is killing me, especially my deadlift muscles. How is it that some people return from a break stronger and refreshed whereas I instantly lose all my muscle-power and turn into a weakling?

Anyone have suggestions about building up to doing pullups? I've been using the assist machine for the last 6 weeks and I've made NO progress. I started with a 100lb counterweight and I've made it to a 90lb counterweight. Really impressive over 6 weeks. Also, I feel that the movement isn't quite right on the assist machine--it's too easy to change the angle of one's body to make it easier. I'm not sure what to do about all this. Thoughts?

Hope everyone has a lovely new year's day. The gym is closed but my dog is demanding exercise.
Old 01-01-2008, 07:14 PM   #4  
Mel

try doing "negatives" to work up to pull-ups. Drag a bench (lol, you are tall and probably don't need it) over to the pull up bar and start in the "up" part of the exercise. Slowly lower yourself in control. When your arms are mostly straight, hop back up on the bench and do it 9 more times

Another way is to use giant rubber bands (not many gyms have them, I have my own)- loop one over the pull up bar and put your knee it it. Depending on the thickness, they give varying amounts of assists, but you also have to use your core muscles to remain straight like when doing an unassisted pull-up.

Hmmmm, seems to me I remember a whole article on Krista's site....yup, here it is.

Mel
Old 01-01-2008, 07:51 PM   #5  

Thanks for that, Mel. I didn't think to look on Krista's site.

I'm having a lovely, lazy day. Hope the rest of you are having a nice new year's day also.
Old 01-01-2008, 09:24 PM   #6  
Working My Way Back Down

:happynewyear: everyone. I had a quiet night last night. DH left to fly to MA to see his Dad, and a friend invited me over for dinner. She had all my favorite - and friendly - appetizers: cold shrimp, cut up fruits and veggies. I was a happy gal. Dinner itself was shredded beef sandwiches. I had only a minute portion of the barbeque sauce, and 1/2 the roll. There was also a jello salad made from a CL recipe (that I'd given her a couple years ago ) A glass of wine, and I was good - esp since I was driving. Home by 10, though I ended up being up til after 12 watching my neighbor's fireworks (totally illegal where we live) from my kitchen window.

Today has been a "sanctioned" goof off day. I seldom have whole days with absolutely no commitments or DH to cook for. The most work I've done is to empty the dishwasher. Some reading, some surfing, a little TV tonight, eating up leftovers, and being a warm lap for the cat. I couldn't do it much longer (unless I was sick) but I'm enjoying it. Back to the grind tomorrow, and I have a project report due on Friday, so I'll be in writing mode. Thankfully all the holiday food has left the building, so healthy eating will be easier.

Hope all you sick folks feel better soon!
Old 01-02-2008, 04:26 AM   #7  

Happy New Year, All.

No resolutions for me, don't believe in them. Just continuing with this as my lifestyle.
Old 01-02-2008, 02:56 PM   #8  
Out there trying

Starting the year off right with a good workout today. I'm waiting for my book to arrive from Amazon and for my training appointment (Friday) so I just did some cardio and a decent UBWO. Food is good today and it feels like a Monday and it's already Wednesday so not too bad, I guess.

ETA - Mel - I was checking the link you gave to Krista's site regarding the assisted pullups and I noticed that she's not a big fan of the Smith machine for squats. I was wondering what you thought about it. Thanks!

Last edited by elisa822; 01-02-2008 at 02:57 PM.
Old 01-02-2008, 05:07 PM   #9  

My NRLW arrived today. Hooray! I'm going to read it tonight after dinner.

Elisa, I heard from other people here (can't remember whether it was Mel, Meg or perhaps Depalma) that the Smith machine is no good. If you think about it, this makes sense. The Smith machine requires a perfectly vertical movement, but squats (and lunges) really aren't that vertical--there's a bit of an angle involved. At any rate, there seems to me to be no reason to use the Smith machine when you could use the squat rack.
Old 01-02-2008, 05:19 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 266 / 179 / 165

Height: 5'7"

Yep, I"ve heard people say they're unnatural in their track and they take away the requirement to balance yourself which is a key component to wl.
Old 01-02-2008, 06:28 PM   #11  
Out there trying

Me confused. Can someone simply explain the difference between the Smith machine and the squat rack? Since I use neither, I now have to go see what's available at my gym before my appointment on Friday. I was looking forward to finding a way to squat more than I can lift onto my shoulders but I'm thinking my gym might only have the Smith machine.

Thanks!

Old 01-02-2008, 07:48 PM   #12  

The Smith Machine has a track on it, so the bar is not free, but rather confined to going up and down on the track. The Squat Rack just has pegs on which to put the bar, so that you can climb under the bar and lift it off the rack and do your squats with no support at all.

Smith Machine

Squat Cage

The ones at my gym look pretty similar until you get up close.
Old 01-02-2008, 08:13 PM   #13  
Mel

Not all Smith machines are vertical. Some are built with the bar traveling on an angle to better mimic natural motion.

I like the Smith machine for variations on a standard squat. I don't use it for the good ol' basic squat for all the reasons mentioned above, but there are some variations that you can't do with a free bar.
  • Legs very close together
  • Legs very wide in a plie position- the only other way to do this is a single db squat
  • Split squats with the rear leg on a bench or bosu

I also use it for a variety of uses for which it was never intended,lol.
  • Butt blasters (kneeling in front of it on all fours and pushing the bar up behind you with one leg...get a spotter)
  • Explosive chest presses (use the safeties)
  • Explosive pushups for people who can't do them yet from the floor
  • Lying pull ups

It's also good as a steady anchor for band exercises

Mel
Old 01-02-2008, 09:26 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 266 / 179 / 165

Height: 5'7"

I remember watching the old Body Shaping series on ESPN and the guys there loved the Smith bc it allowed them to lift really high weights in what they said was a safer environment bc you couldn't get pinned by the weight. They also put the women on it bc they said they didn't need to find a spotter that way.
Old 01-03-2008, 09:54 AM   #15  

So, my news as Sportmom knows from my blog--I'm thinking of studying personal training. Really for no other reason than to know what I need to know for myself for my best future. Bonus would be that someday, if I wanted, I could do personal training, like as a side job if I marry and have kids, or something. I think I'll order the class this spring and I have 2 years to get certified.

Who woulda thunk I'd want this, but I do. I'm going by my gut. If I'm interested, I move on things.
Closed Thread