Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 01-02-2008, 02:14 AM   #1  
Time to get serious

S/C/G: 200/200/140

Height: 5'9"

Default SCALE is now a four letter word

Well holy crap. I stepped on a scale today. First time in 9 months.

K, a little background - I have a 9 month old baby. Gained weight with the pregnancy. As I did with my four other kids. Difference here, is I'm 41 now, and this weight is not going anywhere!

My other kids are 18, 16. 14 and 12. Lost the weight after having them, and kept it off. No need for a scale, I was happy with the way I looked, clothes fit, kids kept me active.

My clothes do NOT fit now. I caught a glimpse of this fat girl in my bathroom mirror the other day - she was gone by the time I turned around, but I SAW her there. She also likes to jump in front of me when there is a camera around. I'm getting real tired of her.

I decided enough is enough, and signed up for WW online. I live in rural Alaska, so getting to weekly meetings isn't always possible. So, I got all excited, signed up, and started the process. Well, it asks for my weight. Huh...I didn't know my weight, as I don't own a scale. So, I guessed.

Oh...did I guess WRONG!! Sheesh, I went to a friend's tonight, and lo and behold, in her bathroom was a scale! Hmmm, I thought, lemme just lightly step on this and see what it says. I about choked. Promptly stripped to my undies, and stepped BACK on the scale. It STILL said way too much. So I stepped off the scale, hit it with my big toe (to reset it - hey, desperation was setting in) stepped back on. K, now comes the illogical thinking...if I only stand on the scale with ONE leg, I'll weigh less. I'm pretty sure my left leg weighs around 20 pounds.

So, here I am, in my friends bathroom, in my undies, standing on her scale, balancing on one foot. My eyes huge, my mouth agape, now positive her scale is off. I canNOT weigh this much.

Reality check. OK, now this is PERSONAL.
aksuzyq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 02:48 AM   #2  
Angelina/Gerard is Love

S/C/G: 291.8/286.8/199

Height: 5'4 1/2

LMAO! I have a problem with a fat chick stepping in front of me during pictures too. to 3FC!
JasonsLea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 06:50 AM   #3  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Hey aksuzyq!

I hate it when the scale won't cooperate.

Well, now you know! At least there's that! Keep up with the WW, that has been a successful program for many folks.

Hang in there!
Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 07:32 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

I nudge it with my toe to reset it too!

Welcome! Scales are but they are a helpful tool in the process. And now that you know, you can show the scale who's boss!
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 09:23 AM   #5  
Old Cackler

well, darlin. here's my two cents. reality bites, big time. but if we're not honest with ourselves, there's no way we can fix the problem!!!

with your FABULOUS sense of humor, aksuzyq, you'll be able to deal. you've already set yourself up for success. GO FOR IT!!!!!
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 10:57 AM   #6  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Ohhhh. The scale. The truth is it really isn't all THAT evil. You've got to kinda keep it in perspective. I agree with Heather, it's just a tool. A valuable tool in gauging, well, now much we weigh.

Of course the foods that we eat, the choices that we make, DICTATE what we weigh. So, you see, maybe it's not the SCALE that's evil.

Anyway, along the lines of what Jiffy said, we can't change what we don't acknowledge. Now you know just what you're dealing with.

You've come to the decision to lose the weight. Really, that's more then 1/2 the battle. WW is a great program. Before you know it, you'll have that scale on your side. Good luck!

Last edited by rockinrobin; 01-02-2008 at 10:59 AM.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 11:19 AM   #7  
Starting Over

S/C/G: 255/255/155

Height: 5'7"

Haha you've got a good sense of humor about it - I don't see the fat girl in the mirror too much because I can manipulate that but in pictures..man! Glad you are taking charge of your weight! Good luck!!
cakses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 11:58 AM   #8  
Staying positive!

hahaha, I love your post!!! I how I can relate, SO MUCH!!

You can get it down girl, I KNOW it...stay strong, it will happen!!!
Lynne08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 01:47 PM   #9  
Time to get serious

Oh, I know it's not the scale's fault, I was just so shocked last night when I finally DID step on a scale at how much I actually weighed. Mortified, in fact. But yes, knowledge is power, and now that I know AND ADMIT how much I weigh, it's changing.

(It's the FORK'S FAULT!!) Silverware, be gone!

I turned to my DH last night, and told him how wrong I was about how much I weighed, and that I was going out to get a scale today. He said he didn't notice it on me. To which I gave him the same wide eyed open mouth gape. He said "I guess you don't notice it on the people you love." Bless his heart...
Old 01-02-2008, 01:50 PM   #10  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

Oh, DH gets points for that.

The scale isn't going to be your enemy ANYMORE...because now when you step on it, you'll see that number going DOWN. And THAT is a great feeling.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 02:18 PM   #11  
3 + years maintaining

Oh how right Mandalinn is. It is a FABULOUS feeling watching that scale go down. And part of that is KNOWING that you do indeed control what the scale does (for the most part).

You've certainly got the right attitude AND a wonderful husband. With that kind of a combination - you are headed for success. Yay!!!!
Old 01-03-2008, 02:05 PM   #12  
Time to get serious

OK, so I buy a scale, and bring the scale home. My kids are thrilled, jump on it like it's some new toy. Who knew they'd love a scale this much, I'da gotten one years ago. And there it sits, in my bathroom. Taunting me. Oh well, I WILL WIN this battle, and soon actually look forward to stepping on the wretched thing.

Right? :

So, last night DH decides maybe he'll step on the scale. Heh heh... I'm not the only one who gained weight with the baby. Now, he's a big guy, but he's gotten a bit bigger in the past few years as well.

So guess who's now losing weight with me. He's all into the fitday, online diet stuff. Doesn't want to do WW exactly, he'll modify his own diet to suit his eating. Whatever, at least he's trying.

My question - this BMI index. Is it the same one for women and men? We looked at that last night as well. For me, I'm not quite obese, but far too close to that point for comfort. For him, he's off the chart. Scared the both of us a little. The chart we saw only went to 250, and he's more than that. Where can we find more info on this?

I'm even more motivated now to lose weight, for me AND for him and his health. I had no idea he weighed as much as he did either. I guess he's right, you don't notice it on the people you love.
Old 01-03-2008, 02:26 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 152/140/130

Height: 5'5"

LOL - your original post was hilarious! Welcome, and it looks like you have the cards all stacked in your favour - you have a plan (WW), a scale to track progress and "keep it real", a DH who not only loves you like you are, but is going to join you in your weight loss (this will be SO helpful!).... and your great attitude. You can't NOT lose!
Janie Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 02:33 PM   #14  
3 + years maintaining

http://www.3fatchicks.com/Diets/Calc...MI_Calculator/

The above link is to a BMI calculator here at 3FC. Yes, the same one is used for men and women. But there are ranges given as to what is "normal". The higher range weights are usually for the men, the lower ones, for the women. Lucky us.

It's great that hubby has joined you on this little venture. That's a big help. So glad the kiddies are liking your new "toy". You really are off to a great start. Keep up with that great sense of humor. It'll definitely come in handy.
Old 01-03-2008, 02:35 PM   #15  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

aksuzyq, BMI is the same for both women and men. It is based only on height and weight--therefore it is certainly not an exact measure. Go here:

http://www.nhlbisupport.com/bmi/

You should be able to enter your husband's height and weight and get his BMI.

Body fat percentage is a better way to judge whether someone is overfat, but it's not easy to get an accurate reading. The best way is either calipers or immersion--but some scales use electrical resistance to measure it.

Jay

Last edited by JayEll; 01-03-2008 at 02:35 PM.
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote