Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 12-31-2007, 12:31 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 280/280/190

Height: 5'7''

Default Silly question, but where do you buy...

tape measures?

I've basically only got Dollar Stores and Wal-Mart around me. I'm sure there has to be some at Wal-Mart, but that store is so huge I wouldn't know where to look!
CherryBlossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 12:35 AM   #2  
Getting healthy!

S/C/G: 275/ticker/140

Height: 5'6"

Hi Cherryblossom,

Walmart has tape measures. Go to the craft section and from there, go to the sewing area (where the needles, embellishments, etc are) and there should be tape measures right there!

Good luck!

~Renae
enchantedonyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 12:19 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

You can also find them in office supply stores.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 12:26 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 311/305/150

Height: 5'9"

I actually got a really awesome travel sewing kit at a dollar store, and it had a tape measure in it. They've got all kindsa hidden treasures there.
McMoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 02:29 PM   #5  
Blonde Bimbo

S/C/G: 250+/144/135

Height: 5' 4"

Ok, I was all set to chip in...hardware. Then I read the replies and realized there's more than one type of tape measure. I really gotta find a new hobby besides remodeling my house. LOL
almostheaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 05:49 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

You want the kind of tape measure that is in the sewing section-not the kind from the hardware store. Sewing tape measures are meant to measure the body...hardware store kind (that you pull out of the square base) are too stiff, and the base and pull tab get in the way.
aphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 06:09 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 351 / 282 / 135

Height: 5'3"

The only kind of tape measure I have is the hardware kind.

When I had to measure myself, I took my cat's leash and used it around myself like a tape measure. It was nice and flexible, but not stretchy. Then I marked it, and straightened it out on the counter, and measure it with the hardware tape measure.
rabidstoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 08:20 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 188/ticker/130

lol at almostheaven...a bit home improvmevent obsessed are we LOL
GatorgalstuckinGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 10:16 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

The kind in the sewing supply area are only about $1...
aphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 11:47 AM   #10  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

...and as a bonus my dd likes to spread out the tape and use it to practice counting numbers. She would love to have one of her own. DOH!!!! There would have been a good stocking stuffer! Maybe I'll look for a bright pink one for her birthday.

anyway, I was going to say JoAnn Fabrics or any sewing or craft store.
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 12:52 PM   #11  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

Or any drug store (Rite Aid, Longs, etc) in the sewing section.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 07:33 PM   #12  
Blonde Bimbo

S/C/G: 250+/144/135

Height: 5' 4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorgalstuckinGA View Post
lol at almostheaven...a bit home improvmevent obsessed are we LOL
Just a little. Perhaps I should post this bit on the lighter side, but, true story that happened just this New Year's weekend, reposted from another of my sites...

My husband went down to the downstairs bath Saturday night around 1 a.m. and found a flood. Water was dripping from all around the two light fixtures. I got on the phone to the home warranty folks and the repair company called around 2 a.m. Said he'd be on the phone to his plumbers between 8 and 9 a.m. and see which one he could get out to us. All this while hubby was out in the dark with a flashlight, bailing the water from over the manhole cover and turning the water off...as we don't have a shutoff valve to the house.

Well, the guy gets here around 12:30 p.m. Sunday before New Year's...I was amazed. But we had to shut the power down in there last night, and it's on the same breaker as the furnace! YIKES! So we bundled up good Saturday night. I stuck the dehumidifier in there, and by the morning, a lot of it was dried up, so we turned the heat back on and warmed up while we waited. We have a drop celing in there as new pipes were installed before we bought the place, and some of the sheetrock had been taken out, so they just put in a drop a couple inches lower from the sheetrock. You could see where the pipes run. So they were all along the wall and up the wall between the laundry room and bath. But we had to pull down more sheetrock to find the leak, so I had a major mess to cleanup that afternoon, because there was ONE pipe that ran in the center of the floor. The hot water pipe. They didn't run it with the cold, through the wall, and covered in the sheetrock, you couldn't see it. They also ran it right up against the upstairs floor, making it very difficult for the guy to fix it, as it was butted against the floor, which it shouldn't have been installed that way.

Well, the good news though is that my upstairs bathroom floor no longer squeaks, after I ran nails into the floor joists to take up the slack.

Now that you're done being thankful this didn't happen to you, go ahead and get the laughter outta your system. Hubby's had a jolly old time ribbing me today. And the plumber had to call his dad and remind him of the time when he was 14 and put a nail through their water pipes. And my dad reminded me of when he SAWED through his flooring and right through the water pipe. And hey! I'm just a little ole blonde girl. What the heck do *I* know about water pipes.
almostheaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 07:56 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 188/ticker/130

lol no wonder you have home improvment on your mind (:
GatorgalstuckinGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 08:40 PM   #14  
Paleo-ish Girl

S/C/G: 255.5/174/160

Height: 5'6"

I ditto the dollar store sewing kits! Wally world should have them too.

If you can find them @ Wally World, get the retractable kind (they're in a little round container). They work like hardware tape measures, but are the seamstress kind.

@ almostheaven,
egads!
Altari is offline   Reply With Quote