Old 12-30-2007, 11:35 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 303/252/150

Height: 5' 5"

Default Loose/excess Skin??

I have a current obsession with loose skin. I should have an obsession with something else, like eating better, but this is what is currently stuck in my mind. Is it possible to lose a large amount of weight and not have loose skin? For some reason that bothers me almost as much as being overweight.
KidsLibrarylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 11:37 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

That question gets asked a lot. It freaked me out too. Although I do have loose skin, it really isn't as bad as I feared. We are all different, though.

Check out this Skin FAQ in the maintainers' forum:
http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=36040

Last edited by Heather; 12-30-2007 at 11:38 AM.
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 11:43 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 261/252/145

Height: 5'4"

I get mentally stuck on things like this too, and I really don't know the answer to your question. But I thought I'd share my experience so far, since you are about where I started and I have lost about half of what I want to lose. Only now am I starting to notice some skin issues. On my thighs, butt, and under my chin, when I run my hand over my skin, it doesn't feel as taut and smooth as it used to and looks a little wrinkly. I don't think this is noticeable to anybody but me right now. I have lost 48 lbs. in 7 months, and I've walked, but haven't otherwise done a lot of exercise. I have read on this board that exercise helps and that your skin does "catch up" some and tighten up a little. At 45 years old, though, and having been pretty fat for the last 15 of those years, I don't expect my skin to snap back all the way. There's NO WAY I would take back the fat to get rid of the wrinkles. I plan to get serious about my exercise program and we'll just see what happens. The loose skin is a result of the way I've treated my body, and that's just the way it is. If, after I lose the rest and give it some time to catch up, it still really bothers me, then I'll consider a tummy tuck. Try not to worry about it so much. I've read lots of threads on this board about this issue and never has anyone written that they'd rather have the weight than the loose skin.
Schmoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 11:51 AM   #4  
Meg

Think of it this way ... if you lose the weight and decide that you liked your skin better when it was all filled out with fat, well then -- you can just gain the weight back! Funny, no one's ever picked that option.
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 12:19 PM   #5  
2 wheels is plenty :D

S/C/G: 264/195/150

@ Meg...

But it's totally true....I'd rather have my extra skin than the weight back. I'm 41....and I have always been overweight. I don't think I can reasonably expect to look like a model even with surgery. I would rather make the goal simply to feel/be healthy and look pretty good with my clothes on.
chick_in_the_hat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 12:29 PM   #6  
The Radiant One

S/C/G: 250/142/135

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meg View Post
Think of it this way ... if you lose the weight and decide that you liked your skin better when it was all filled out with fat, well then -- you can just gain the weight back! Funny, no one's ever picked that option.
Hahahaha!!
fiberlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 02:37 PM   #7  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Hmmm.... Some loose skin, which is totally undectable in clothing, or being morbidly obese??????

-Wearing a size 2 or wearing a size 26/28?
-Not having high blood pressure or having high blood pressure?
-Being able to shop any where I want or being limited to a few overpriced/poor quality/meager choice stores?
-Being incredibly physically active or being sedentary?
-Having tons and tons of energy and stamina or being lethargic and totally void of energy?
-Being healthy or not being healthy?
-Being self confident and being able to be my "real" self or being withdrawn and hiding behind my fat?
-Feeling utterly fabulous day in and day out or dreading waking up in the morning?

I could really go on and on (I tend to do that sometimes ). Let's just suffice it to say that I'd TAKE THE LOOSE SKIN ANY AND EVERY DAY over being morbidly obese. NO DOUBT ABOUT IT. In fact I highly recommend it.

Last edited by rockinrobin; 12-30-2007 at 02:38 PM.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 02:48 PM   #8  
I have less blubber!

S/C/G: 207/203/160

Height: 5'3"

I'm trying not to think about it LOL. So far no loose skin here, but if I suck in my stomach it gets that deflated balloon wrinkly looking effect, so I am expecting a little skin damage at the end of it. OH WELL!!! I will look a heck of alot better in my clothes...and not many people see me naked anyway
sockmonkey70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 07:21 PM   #9  
girl in the public eye!

S/C/G: 270/262/140

Height: 5'5

Thanks for the info..this is something that I have been worried about too. I never thought about it that way...having loose skin or staying overweight! LOL I totally agree. Has anyone found weight lifting helpful?
belleamiee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 07:38 PM   #10  
The Radiant One

S/C/G: 250/142/135

Height: 5'2"

Weight lifting won't prevent loose skin. However, it will help with how the skin looks. Loose skin looks much better over toned muscles than no muscles.
fiberlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 08:59 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 303/252/150

Height: 5' 5"

Default Thanks...

Well, I never said my question made sense, just that I was obsessing over it. Thanks for the input and information, it is appreciated!
KidsLibrarylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 09:45 PM   #12  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

I didn't mean to make light of your question. I apologize if it came off that way. In fact it really is a good one and an often asked one and I could perfectly, perfectly understand why it would be on your mind.

I was really trying to ease your mind and help you to stop obsessing over it. Please trust me, whatever loose skin you may have, and you may have minimal or none, but even if it's lots, really and truly - it's just so wonderful to NOT have the FAT, that the loose skin is a minor issue. Very, very minor.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 05:18 PM   #13  
Simply Filling Technique

Smile Who knew we would be successful though?

Who knew we would be successful one day and then we would have something else to think about?

I think of all the times that I tried to lose weight and failed. I am taking a wait and see attitude right now. I have lost about 46 lbs since the winter of 2004. I have lost about 16 lbs of that since this past September. I too love to exercise and I was really surprised to see my body parts shrink but some looked better when they were filled out with fat, like my thighs, for instance and the back of my upper arms.

I do want to look good naked. I am newly married, five years, and I want to look good in my birthday suit. I'm not going to regain the weight so my thighs look better but I am sad that although I wear a full pant size smaller just since this past September, I know what my thighs look like underneath the clothe. I know and that matters!

I wore a lot of clothes this past holiday season that I couldn't wear a year ago. I am very satisfied with that. Now, to get back to the weights and Pilates and see what else I can do!

Schmoodle said it best, I thought!
pamatga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 08:31 PM   #14  
active kids, active mom

I have an odd confession: I sort of like my loosening skin. It is my body's way of reminding me that I have not treated it well all these years. It is also my body's way of showing me just how much weight I am losing. When I run my hands over it and feel the emptiness, I am reminded of the fat that once occupied that space and it feels good to know that some of that fat is no longer there - and the rest of it is on its way out.

Of course, I also LOVE my c-section scar and the droopy breasts that fed a multitude. So I can see how this is just another area of weirdness for me.
knitsforfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 09:07 PM   #15  
Red Team Member

S/C/G: 289/206.5/140

Quote:
Originally Posted by knitsforfive View Post
I have an odd confession: I sort of like my loosening skin. It is my body's way of reminding me that I have not treated it well all these years. It is also my body's way of showing me just how much weight I am losing. When I run my hands over it and feel the emptiness, I am reminded of the fat that once occupied that space and it feels good to know that some of that fat is no longer there - and the rest of it is on its way out.

Of course, I also LOVE my c-section scar and the droopy breasts that fed a multitude. So I can see how this is just another area of weirdness for me.
You're not alone! I kinda like that loose, puckered skin on the bottom of my tummy...it shows me that I've lost quite a bit of weight.
Cassie501107 is offline   Reply With Quote