Old 12-29-2007, 09:16 PM   #1  
active kids, active mom

Default Aced the holidays...keeping up the momentum

I can proudly say that, for the first time ever, I achieved my holiday goals:

1. Eat a pretty sensible and enjoyable Thanksgiving meal with dessert and consider that the holiday splurge (1 meal -- not several days)-- check

2. Eat whatever I want Dec. 24-26, as long as I stay under 2600 calories (my daily is 1400-1600) -- check

3. Exercise 5-6 days every week through holidays with a break of doing only 4 days over Christmas week -- check

All this has paid off. Between Thanksgiving morning and today, I am down 10 lbs.

So, my question is this...after such a great boon, how do you remain motivated? I know it sounds counter-intuitive to worry bout losing motivation after a really successful holiday, but I find that I tend to freak out after a really successful period of weight loss - such as this -- and chuck the whole thing. I worry that I could take this success and toss it right into a big bowl of self-sabotage.

Why is weight loss so scary? Why do we sabotage ourselves? Why is it sometimes harder to follow success with more success?

Or is it just me?

In search of greater success,
k45

Last edited by knitsforfive; 12-29-2007 at 09:31 PM.
knitsforfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 09:24 PM   #2  
No description available.

I know Sabotage well.

You have made such wonderful progress! My advice is to keep telling yourself that YOU have the power to make your body what you want it to be. You own that, no one else.

When I start to do weird mind games, I focus on the physical aspect of weight loss. Calories in/calories out. Control those basics and ignore the lurking saboteur.

Work your plan today. And tomorrow. And the next day. The weight will take care of itself.

Congrats on your success over the holidays!
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 09:28 PM   #3  
M.S. + living balance

S/C/G: 325/200's/199

Height: 5'10"

The same thing has been stuck in my head... I feel like I've come so far... but my mind goes 'what if I cant do it?' or what if what I do isnt good enough? What if this doesnt actually fix all my problems? (like it will)

I'm staying motivated by buying new clothing that's a bit too tight on me. It's so exciting to watch the formerly too tight stuff become the horribly baggy stuff. I'm also talking about it even more. I want my family and friends to call me out and feel open about the changes I'm making.

You aren't alone - the unknown can be scary. I think we are our own worst critics. You're doing so well! You're obviously are on the right track

Last edited by valpal23; 12-29-2007 at 09:29 PM.
valpal23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 09:52 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 257/219/145

Oh, it's not just you! Last time I got into losing the weight I reached exactly 30 lbs. and sabotaged myself until I gained back almost all of it. Now I am back to 21 down, and I made it through the holidays with my exercise and eating goals a success, lost almost 10 lbs. this month...and now after it is all over, I am starting to sabotage myself. I have been wondering...Why???

Before, it was right at 30 lbs. that everyone noticed, and that made me uncomfortable. i am so used to being in the background, ignored, that being in the center and seeing the reactions on other's faces just made me very uneasy. I learned from that mistake and am determined NOT to go to food to make myself feel safe again. I'm going to use exercise, I have a new love for that now. People are used to seeing me fat, no one where I live now has ever seen me thin, so I just have to deal with them staring until they get used to it. I have to deal with my new role, whatever that may be.

The mental is the hardest obstacle for me. I start to self sabotage every weekend, because Monday is weigh in, so I deal with this every single week. I don't know if it will ever go away, but I am hoping it will.

Right now I am working jsut to get back to 30 lbs. lost. almost there again!
Purplefirefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 09:59 PM   #5  
active kids, active mom

It's such an important reminder that a community is vital on this journey. It would be very hard to explain to a lifelong thin friend that I am worried about the 10 lbs. I lost over the holidays -- that I fear reversing everything. I am not sure a lifelong thin person would completely get that.

I do have to remember to go one day at a time and to put motivational carrots in my vision -- like a small outfit.

I did put on a smaller pair of pants today and that felt great. There can be such disconnect, though, between that great feeling and all these fears.

I too have problems after 30 lbs. Purple. I have heard others say the same thing. I wonder why 30 is such a wonky number??
knitsforfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 10:23 PM   #6  
Hi From Canada, eh?

S/C/G: check the ticker :)

Height: 5'8

I hear ya! why we do it to ourselves is beyond me - I'm sure a therapist might help us LOL

What I've done this time is not celebrate too much the 50 I've lost, but keep my eye on the next 10, and the 10 after that. I plan on losing 10 pounds another 8 or 9 times. Whenever I start thinking "wow I've got this whole thing beat" I pull out a size 18 pants that might as well be for a child they're soooo small for me LOL and that seems to keep me motivated!

Stay strong for the next 10 !!!
Trazey34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 11:25 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 292/144/145

Height: 5'10"

It sounds to me like you get a lot of motivation from setting and achieving goals. So what's your next one?

It can be easy to coast and lose motivation after that. So immediately set yourself a new goal and get to working on that.

Good luck, you're doing great.
Robin41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 11:52 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 257/219/145

I think 30 lb. was big for me because that's when I had to buy new clothes, the old ones wouldn't stay up anymore, and then everyone else noticed the weight loss. Plus, it put me closer to being under 200 than I had been in years, so it was a big milestone for me. I can't wait to reach it again, and then surpass it!

I have set up reward packages for myself for every 10% of my starting weight lost. The first one will be at 231 lbs...I am just 5 lb. away! My rewards will be a pair of jeans that fit well, a workout outfit that fits nicely, MP3 player (hubby got me one for christmas, oops), walking shoes, new handbag, and the biggest loser cookbook. I also want to get a rose to plant in the spring that represents this first part of my journey (I have an area to plant roses in anyway, figured this would make it more fun!). I will get these things over time as I work toward my 20% package...and I can't wait, because I never ever buy myself anything! When I find things I would really like to have, but would never buy for myself, I add it onto a reward package.

Robin, I think you are very right about setting goals continuously, I have learned I fall off the wagon if I don't ahve something I'm shooting for....sounds like knits is the same way maybe.
Purplefirefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 12:38 AM   #9  

Height: 5' 7'

Great job!

I think that taking it one bit at a time helps. Are you doing it on your own? For me, that works better than being weighed in by someone every week etc. Less pressure, more success long term. Take it slow etc.

I think the ads on tv alone will be a help and everyone will be watching it. No more cookies at work I hope.

Motivation is an odd thing isn't it??
HocusPocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 12:39 AM   #10  
Long Time Member

Height: 5'6

You made it through the HOLIDAYS!!!! for you!! And you are down 30 lbs...even better! As soon as January 1 hits, this place will be booming and everyone will be motivated. Maybe you can read here a lot soak up some of that motivation. Mind games are a hard thing. Just remember, you are not alone.
Sandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 03:42 AM   #11  
beautiful on the inside:P

S/C/G: 119 (262) /107 (235) /60 (132)

Height: 5'6''

I feel the same thing when I lose over 25 pounds. For me it's more leaving my comfort zone (having to feel like I could be a real person, scary). I think when I was my fattest I cut myself off from ever expecting anything, particularly with respect to my appearance. I think when I lose weight that puts me in a arena of hope and maybe I'm afraid that my hope will be crushed? So better crush it myself than fail somehow as a thin person I don't really know, but I agree it IS a weird thing. When I get into those weird zones, I just put my head down and try to focus on what I'm putting in my mouth, and make sure everything is extra fiberlicious
kasmin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 07:06 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

Hi knitsforfive! First of all....congrats on your awesome acheivement! I have done pretty well myself and have wondered how to keep it going. What got me through the past several months was visualization. I know it sounds funny. But, my triglycerides were 508 last September - I had the beginnings of pancreatis and my doctor told me that it was a life threatening number. So, it was that number"508"...that I kept thinking about that kept me going. Ultmimatley - I got that number down to 179 (tested last week).

So I found myself in the same situation as you - your Christmas/holiday focus is gone. My 508 focus is gone. But, I decided to find another focus to help get me going again. This may sound funny - but, now my focus is my pancreas. I need my pancreas to be healthy - a "happy" pancreas is a good thing for me. So, the last few days - it's that picture in my head that's helped me.

Perhaps, you can change you focus. Maybe a visualsation or a piece of clothing or vacation or a healthy heart - whatever.

Just a suggestion.

Am SO proud of you for getting thru this tough time of the year healthfully!!!!
Beverlyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote