Old 12-28-2007, 03:43 AM   #1  
gonna win the thin!

S/C/G: 270/see ticker/160

Height: 5 feet 5 inches

Smile pump you up!

i just had an awsome work out at the gym a few hours ago.
i actully went into the free wieghts area, which is man central. everyone is grunting and pumping iron, its all very primal.

anyways, i alwas feel a little akward being the only girl in the room most of the time, needless to say, my wieghts are tiny compared to the beef cakes struting around with bicepts the size of cantalopes. i dont normaly hang out with men, or any men who lift wights. most of my guy friends are artists lol.

anyone have any good resorces for working out in the free weight room? i dont know much, but i really like it and i want to be really carful about doing things right so i dont hurt myself

aslo, any other girls out there feel akward in the gym? please share your stories with me
math puppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 06:52 AM   #2  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Hey!

Most gyms have trainers who will teach you the right way to lift. Ask at the desk and make an appointment--it's worth it even if you have to pay for a session.

Be sure that you are not using weights that are too heavy--sometimes even trainers try to start women on too-heavy weights.

One danger is that a person can damage tendons with weights too heavy, and that tissue takes a long time to heal. So be sure you're doing it right.

Jay

Last edited by JayEll; 12-28-2007 at 06:52 AM.
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 09:45 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 283/253/190

Height: 5'9"

If you sign up with a trainer make it clear that you are interested in using free weights. I have found in the past that they often just want to cycle you through the machines & was disappointed.

As for feeling awkward, I am pulling some pretty heavy weights now but I still feel a little out of place - especially since I've just moved & am at a new gym. Not only am I the only girl but I'm also the lightest skin person in the room - I stand out a little - lol!
Lifeguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 10:00 AM   #4  
Becoming myself

S/C/G: 294/233/180

Suggestion: IPOD! It really helps. I put on aggressive music with a bit of country thrown in and throw myself at my workout. I have some just flat-out aggressive music (Rob Zombie, Guns n Roses, Metallica) and some with attitude. It's great when Gretchen Wilson's "Here For the Party" rolls around, and thoroughly entertaining when I hit "Playing with the Boys" by Kenny Loggins (you know, from Top Gun) in the playlist rotation.

Get a bit of training from a qualified trainer so you don't hurt yourself, and go for it! Every single person in that room started with small weights, remember that. NO ONE walked right in on their first day and picked up the weights they're using now. (Unless today is their day 2!) You don't need to be afraid of heavier weights, either. Your body will learn and will build itself. Women's bodies don't bulk naturally, so you can lift heavy and all you'll get is lean and tight.
sidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 10:18 AM   #5  
active kids, active mom

I so know that awkward feeling. At the same time, I have discovered that any of the men who might actually be paying me any attention (they are typically very into their own routines and camaraderie) do so in a friendly way. The other day, in fact, I was staring down some equipment, trying to figure out how to use it, and looked over and a man with a smile on his face was watching me. I asked him how to use it and he walked over very nicely and helped me out. It was almost like he was waiting for me to ask.

I think most people in the weight area are pretty welcoming. We just have to get over ourselves a bit.

Funny anecdote that convinced me these are nice guys: the four most huge men I have ever seen who work out daily and for hours on the weights were there the other day. When I got closer to their stations, I overheard them all talking about the Oprah Show. It really humanized them for me.
knitsforfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 11:33 AM   #6  
I'm a Loser ;)

S/C/G: SCG: 255/see ticker/160

Hehehe.

Todd used to bodytrain when I met him (he's starting again... man he can do tons of 50 lb curls with just one arm... I can barely even lift the damn thing off the ground!!!!)... so I'm kind of lucky that I'll be able to get pointers from him.

But I can see how you would feel about being the only female in the room with all the beefcakes hehehe. Of course - it's never a bad thing.

Like Lifeguard, I'm naturally SUPER white (I don't tan, I burn...)
tamaralynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 10:46 PM   #7  
One life, live it well

S/C/G: 304|ticker|160

Height: 5'6˝

Quote:
Originally Posted by math puppy View Post
anyone have any good resorces for working out in the free weight room? i dont know much, but i really like it and i want to be really carful about doing things right so i dont hurt myself
A trainer is really the right way to start out. S/he will also help you get a good routine or two together and also critique your form. Meg mentioned a good link to me recently: ExRx.net. It lists every possible exercise. The graphics aren't the best, but you get the idea.

Quote:
aslo, any other girls out there feel akward in the gym? please share your stories with me
We moved a couple months ago and I joined 24 Hour Fitness 4 weeks ago. I just started weight training 2 weeks ago - after a LONG break. The weight room has a very manly man feel (and smell) about it. The first time I walked in I noticed that the 2 gals (to about 15 guys) there were throwing around the weights, grunting excessively and walking around with clenched jaws and fists. Like they were trying hard to be intimidating? OK, I understand that weight training isn’t a “chummy” sport. Well, except for a few of the guys who apparently feel the weight room is the appropriate venue for sharing their sexual prowess/conquest stories! Come on guys, save it for the bar! So yeah, I'm still in the awkward spot - maybe as more time passes it'll become a more "comfortable" room, but for now I'm just in it long enough to get my work done and then I'm outta there!
Nori71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 03:38 AM   #8  
gonna win the thin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MomTo2SweetPeas View Post
We moved a couple months ago and I joined 24 Hour Fitness 4 weeks ago. I just started weight training 2 weeks ago - after a LONG break. The weight room has a very manly man feel (and smell) about it. The first time I walked in I noticed that the 2 gals (to about 15 guys) there were throwing around the weights, grunting excessively and walking around with clenched jaws and fists. Like they were trying hard to be intimidating? OK, I understand that weight training isn’t a “chummy” sport. Well, except for a few of the guys who apparently feel the weight room is the appropriate venue for sharing their sexual prowess/conquest stories! Come on guys, save it for the bar! So yeah, I'm still in the awkward spot - maybe as more time passes it'll become a more "comfortable" room, but for now I'm just in it long enough to get my work done and then I'm outta there!

i go to 24hr fitness too! i think i saw you are from seattle as well? unless i am hallucinating....its pretty late lol
Old 12-29-2007, 03:39 AM   #9  
gonna win the thin!

thanks all for the great advice! ill make an appointment and also i checked out a few books at the local library!
Old 12-29-2007, 11:56 AM   #10  
One life, live it well

S/C/G: 304|ticker|160

Height: 5'6˝

Yeah you were up late! I hadn't noticed where you were from. We don't live in "SEA" proper. Actually we live in Covington, down by Maple Valley. Know where that is? I work out at the 24HF on Kent-Kangley. It's a nice place. They are moving to an empty Albertson's in the same parking lot soon and it's going to be huge and have some nice additions. I'm waiting to see if they'll have kettle balls. Probably not. I'd love to try those though. Gotta get my girls ready to go to the gym. It's crazy kinda...I pay more for childcare there than I do for my membership!
Nori71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 04:27 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 343/293/199

Height: 5'8"

Just ask the guys for help. Seriously. Im sure they will be super nice to you and be thrilled to help instruct u. Dh loves to help me/ or anyone who wants to talk weights. He is one of those 'arms as big as..' guys. lol.
xJox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 04:30 PM   #12  
in F major

S/C/G: 278/223/178

Height: 6'

My favorite online weight training resource is the iron section at stumptuous.com
Tharmony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 05:21 PM   #13  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

I disagree about asking "the guys" for help. Most guys have no idea how much weight a woman should lift, and a lot of them have terrible form. Ask a bona fide trainer.

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote