Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Closed Thread

Old 07-27-2001, 09:51 PM   #1  

Default need good cookbooks

I am new to this whole idea of eating healthy. What lo fat cookbooks do you reccommend? I like simple down-home food. No veggie stuff or real elaborate meals. Im just looking for some simple comfortable food that i can actually feed my family. Any suggestions?
Old 07-28-2001, 12:45 PM   #2  

Default Not a cookbook, but a website

I'm not that great of a cook, and I like simple, basic, 'non weird' things. I've found a good source of recipe is to be found at Kraft's Web Site. From there, though should be a link to recipe search. You can search for recipes by type, ingredient, brands, or nutritional goals -- like low fat, low calorie, high fiber, etc.

Now, it's a Kraft Foods site, so every recipe is pretty much guaranteed to have at least one Kraft Food item. But hey, you can substitute other brands...
Old 04-30-2002, 02:52 PM   #3  
Mommy x 4

S/C/G: 230/160/150

I post recipes on www.recipezaar.com, there are lots of low fat, low chol etc etc, all recipes that get posted are put online with their stats, fat, calories, fibre etc. I have found many good recipes there and have posted some of my low fat ones. For cookbooks my favorites are Betty Crocker's NEW EAT and LOSE WEIGHT cookbook and Vegetarian Times. I love to cook and try new recipes all the time, have lots of my own I would like to post on this site but I am not sure where? Am new here. Hope you check out the zaar and find some good ones there, pls let me know if you find some real keepers.
Old 05-01-2002, 09:24 AM   #4  
Mama to 3 Little Monkeys

S/C/G: 232/161.4/125

Height: 5ft 3 1/2inch

I have two new cookbooks:

200 Easy Recipes For Healthy Weight Loss: Cooking Thin with Chef Kathleen by Kathleen Daelemans.

This is an awesome book with great recipes and great weightloss advice. The only downside is it does not have nutritional information. I have made several recipes from the book and they were exellent.

Another new book I have is:

The Healthy Kitchen: Recipes for a Better Body, Life and Spirit by Andrew Weil, MD and Rosie Daley.

I made a roasted chicken recipe from this book that was to die for. This book also includes nutritional information.
Old 05-02-2002, 02:28 PM   #5  

I love love love Healthy Homestyle Cooking and More Healthy Homestyle Cooking. They are very down-home meals (I grew up on a farm so I'm use to meat and potatoes) and there have only been one or two recipes that my family hasn't liked. And we've made many meals from these books. You can find them at Amazon.com Lots of good reviews there too!

Old 05-21-2002, 05:48 PM   #6  

Angry

One that I've found helpful is www.healthyexchanges.com. It's run by JoAnna Lund and you can find all her cookbooks there as well as some free recipes that are absolutely wonderful.

JoAnna has a show on public television and she does great-tasting, diabetic, healthy recipes that aren't skimpy on the taste. Her "Desserts Every Night" is especially palatable.

Best of luck!
Old 06-04-2002, 07:54 AM   #7  

Default 99% Fat Free Italian

The books in the "99% Fat Free" by Barry Bluestein are WONDERFUL. They contain virtually no fat and are all delicious. The 99% fat free italian cooking is available on Amazon. com and it contains reworks of favorites like a decadent Tiramisu, Lemon Risotto, Veal Spiedini - all of them are truly delicious and "legal".
Closed Thread