Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 12-22-2007, 03:42 PM   #1  
Observer of Phenomena

Height: 5' 4"

Default Zsweet?

Has anyone heard of this 0 cal sweetener? It's base is erythritol, which sounds a little scary to me, but it's being marketed as a natural sweetener (although, so is Splenda, so what's that worth). Anyway, I'm just wondering if anyone here knows about this stuff, and if they've tried it.

Here's a link http://http://www.zsweet.com/sugar-a...ion-facts.html
3Beans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 06:23 PM   #2  
it's always something

I tried it last year. If you taste it straight, it really does taste exactly like sugar (IMO). I mixed it in a beverage and it was still just like sugar. I then used it to bake brownies and that's where the difference began to show. As a test, I used a simple brownie recipe from Cooking Light and baked one batch with all sugar and the other with half sugar and half zSweet per their suggestion. While the brownies made with zSweet were still very sweet to taste, they were very fluffy and cake-like. I took pictures of them side by side, I need to find them

Overall, I think the product is too expensive to use as a regular replacement, especially when it seems slightly limited. Personally, I'd rather buy real, organic sugar when I have to have it, and then curb my sweet tooth instead
Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote