Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Closed Thread

Old 04-25-2002, 06:24 AM   #1  
HRH Arabella, Woods Nymph

S/C/G: 256/ticker/165

Height: 5'8

Thumbs down 21 Day Challenge #4

Originally posted by katrinabgood Thanks, Katrina!

I missed my weigh in today...not too upset about that, because I seem to have fallen into the same slump a lot of us around here have found...having said that, I can't believe that I just blithely threw away almost a whole week of good, on program work for a day or two of haphazard eating!

We need a collective kick in the pants to re-energize us and get us back into high gear...Here's what I was thinkin'...

When I belonged to ediets, there was a message board called the "21 day challenge" the idea being that it tales 21 days to form a new habit. You commit to eating within your program, drinking the water and exercising for 21 days. If you slip, you begin again on Day 1. It really was very motivational and really a lot of fun...anyone interested in a challenge? Let me see if I can dig up the rules...

wow! I can't believe I did it without losing my post...must be an omen!

Rules for the 21-Day Challenge

Block 1
1. You must drink a minimum of 64 ounces of water per day.
2. You must eat from your meal plan or stay in your calorie range for every day!
3. If you go over your calorie allotment, (OR cheat!) you must start over.
4. No exercise is required until your second 21-Day Challenge (block#2), but by all means, if you're already exercising please continue!
5. Your 21 days must be CONSECUTIVE days! That is the whole point in forming new habits.
6. Nothing is wrong with having a yummy snack!! Just make sure you plan for it!! It has to be part of your calorie limit for the day!
7. This works on the "honor" system...no one will monitor you...if you "mess-up", you are only cheating yourself by not beginning again! The importance behind this challenge is to have 21 consecutive days of self control!!
8. What do the numbers mean that you see by peoples' names?? They stand for DAY/POUNDS LOST/BLOCK. 1/0/1 is Day 1, 0 pounds lost, Block 1.
9. Once you have finished block #1 (the first 21 days) you will progress to block #2...

Block 2
Same as block 1 + 20 minutes of exercise 5x/week

Block 3
Same as Block 1
+ increase to 30 minutes of exercise 5x/week
+ toning exercise for at least 15 minutes 3x/week
+ must post inches lost

Block 4
ON YOUR OWN... no rules except for the ones you set for yourself... it's time to turn this plan into your plan... you should state your rules and follow them for 21 days... repeat this as many times as necessary until you are at your goal.
Good luck to you as you complete your journey! YOU CAN DO THIS!!! It all starts with a single step... and following with a new one each day!!

What do you think? I'm just trying to shake things up a bit around here...

I'm up for the challenge, ARE YOU?
Old 04-25-2002, 06:27 AM   #2  

Default Day 1

I didn't exactly go down in flames yesterday, but I had a snack in the afternoon when I was kind of borderline hungry and then ate dinner even though I wasn't hungry at all. So. Day 1 again. Sometimes this is a lot easier than others.

Have a great day, Blockettes!

xo
babette
1/212 (-3)/1
Old 04-25-2002, 06:06 PM   #3  

Default Bump!

Here's the new one!
Old 04-25-2002, 07:46 PM   #4  
a work in progress...

Day 2 for me...

I had a stellar day yesterday, food, water great. LOTS of exercise and I weighed in last night 3 lbs less than last week! Can't beat that! Best motivation in the world!

Love to stay and ramble on, but I gotta get dinner on the table...hungry man just pulled in the driveway!

later...
Old 04-26-2002, 07:53 AM   #5  

Unhappy Day 1

Again. I'm really struggling with depression that I know is at least partially hormonal, but if I don't struggle it will only get worse. This is how I gained 7 pounds over Christmas, depressed and just said "the **** with it" -- but of course, it only strengthened the depression and weakened me.

So. I'm going to try to do things that will help me out of this slump. I'm heading out for a walk and will try to make time for meditation. I don't know why I resist it so much when I know how much power it has to transform my life. Maybe because it takes a while to really feel the effects. Give me instacure, please

Kat, congrats on the stellar day! If we just string a bunch of those together, we'll have this thing beat!
xo
babette
1/212 (-3)/1
Old 04-27-2002, 08:45 AM   #6  

Angry Day 2

WOOOHOOOO! Katrina!

Can't believe that I neglected to mention the 3 pounds gone where the bad pounds go -- that is excellent!

I'm continuing along. My jeans were looser yesterday right out of the laundry, which I'm taking as a positive sign. Had a pretty good day yesterday, had lasagne and caesar salad for dinner, but ate very sparingly the rest of the day.

Have a great day, Blockettes.

xo
babette
2/212 (-3)/1
Old 04-27-2002, 09:29 AM   #7  
a work in progress...

Default Day 4

OK, this is where I usually blow it, so I'm going to be v*e*r*y cautious today...I'm having Fat Free Krusteaz Muffins for breakfast with some cantalope and strawberries....big salad for lunch....chicken and mushrooms over rice and salad for dinner. That's my plan. It's gorgeous today, I will get a walk in and definitely some yard work.

So that's my plan and I'm stickin' to it!

Unless you find that "insta-cure," babette...

see you later!
Old 04-27-2002, 09:32 AM   #8  

I knew I wasn't doing as well as I thought .. I am neglecting water...

Day 1.. and on my way to the Brita Pitcher. Thanks for the reminder.

bliss
1/0/1 oh man .....
Old 04-28-2002, 07:54 AM   #9  

Thumbs down Hmmmm... no insta-cure yet, but i made it to Day 3

Good Morning, Blockettes!

The sun is actually shining here, after about a month of dreary weather. Not what you would call warm, but the sun is great to see. DH & I will go for a 5-mile walk pretty soon.

Yesterday, I walked to the gym and back (2 miles), did 30 minutes on the crosstrainer at the top of my range and two circuits of the machines. Then i walked a mile later to go to a friend's birthday party at a bar downtown and back again. Had a couple of beers and the food was typical greasy bar food, but I didn't eat very much of it, so I think I did fairly well -- if not nutrition-wise. Then when I got home I practiced Tai Chi for a half-hour.

The lack of an insta-cure is what makes this so difficult. You know, if you quit smoking or drinking, you just stop. You make the decision to either be a smoker or a drinker or not (well, actually, I made the decision to be a moderate drinker, but if I had to either be an alcoholic or quit I would quit). If we could quit being overweight by making the decision and suddenly ****POOF**** we would be slender, ah.... how long would it take us to make that decision? I would be a slender chickie typing this message. I suppose we could consider we were making that decision each time we make a choice, exercise or not, eat a doughnut or not, but making the decision a few dozen times a day every day is a lot harder than doing it once. Sigh...

I'm going to try harder to eat a bit less -- i know that the extra exercise will eventually take weight off, but I'd like to see some change on the scale....NOW!!! I'm sure if i even made it around the darn block i would see some improvement.

Have a great day, Blockettes!

xo
babette
3/212 (-3)/1

Last edited by Arabella; 04-28-2002 at 08:02 AM.
Old 04-28-2002, 12:15 PM   #10  
a work in progress...

Cool guess what day I'm on...again?

Yep, that's right...Numero Uno...I'm not sweating it though...I didn't go CRAZY overboard...just off program...a bit. So, time to start over...I'll just keep starting over til I get this right! Right now, I'm off for a walk, in the rain...back later!
Old 04-29-2002, 06:52 AM   #11  

Angry Day 1 - Do I LIKE this block?

Ah, well... I toyed with the idea of continuing on and calling this Day 4 because my lapse was very minor -- just picked at turkey a tiny bit while I was getting dinner on the table. But. That's the slippery slope -- I tell myself that I did that without causing any real damage, so I continue to pick at stuff when I'm alone and sooner or later I'm sneaking enough calories to feed a small country. So, yup, Day 1. Again.

Had a good day yesterday, really. 6 mile walk and practiced Tai Chi. I haven't been doing enough yoga and/ Tai Chi for flexibility. I've got the weights and aerobic components pretty well established, but I know I'd feel better if I stretched more.

Let's make this a great day, Blockettes.
xo
babette
1/212 (-3)/1
Old 04-30-2002, 06:37 AM   #12  

Angry Day 2 deja vu

Ok, I made it through yesterday. Today is my dreaded end-of-the month, the day that I have to finish up any work that I want to get paid for on my next cheque. Oftentimes this is a difficult day, food-wise, but I feel reasonably strong. And I've also not gotten as far behind as I sometimes do, so that should help too.

Triumph yesterday -- I was hungry before dinner and actually remembered that I had some cooked brussels sprouts in the fridge and had them with a couple of ounces of turkey. And it did the trick.

Took my measurements yesterday, with that "better face the music, see how impossible this is" feeling. I was thinking of ordering some clothes and thought I should see what I thought I could squeeze into. Anyway... I got a surprise. I'm a perfect 18. I bought a size 18 skirt through the winter, but I thought it was sized wrong, or that it fit me because of some weird disproportion of my body. I always thought my hips were out of proportion with my waist and bust, but apparently they aren't. And 18 doesn't sound too bad to me. I read (on another thread) that Jen is thinking about resigning herself to being an 18, and I thought, "yeah, 18's not that bad -- I would feel much better if I was that small." So as a result, today I feel quite a lot slimmer, even if the scales haven't budged.

Hope you all have a fabulous day today!
xo
babette
2/212 (-3)/1
Old 04-30-2002, 10:21 AM   #13  
Conquering with SBD

Default 2/0/1

Well, here we go again. I did go off program over the weekend, but was planning for some time to do just that. I was good all last week, with the exception of the weekend. One of our sons came to visit with his girlfriend and we took all of the kids out to dinner. I knew the restaurant that they wanted to go to would not have much OP food for me, so I had decided long ago to splurge this once.

BUT, back OP yesterday and raring to go. The son and his girlfriend are leaving this morning - they arrived last Friday morning in the middle of a snow storm, and are leaving the same way. When will this stuff ever end?????

Looks like everyone is pretty much starting the block again. I sending hugs to all, and to the hugs I'm adding some discipline for all of us to stay OP this week. Have a great week...

{{{{{{HUGS plus DISCIPLINE}}}}}

Cheers,
Old 04-30-2002, 11:46 AM   #14  
a work in progress...

Quick post so you don't think I've fallen off the face of the earth! I've decided to start small with a "21 Minute challenge!" I'm having a real hard time this week...I'm sure it has something to do with PMS! I did great last week, I lost 3 pounds, but I have a feeling they'll be back at this rate. My only salvation, at this point, is to keep coming back here and reading your posts...I draw on everyone elses "strength" and I know it helps me from doing less damage than I am capable of!

Thanks for being here!

Great job on the measurements, babette! 18 sounds damn good to me...being in a 22! Enjoy your new size, you have earned it!

Have a great day!
Old 05-01-2002, 07:42 AM   #15  

Angry Day 3 -- haven't i been here before?

Okay, here it goes again. I think 4 is the farthest I've gotten in a while, so I'll be pushing to get there tomorrow and then over that hurdle. Really zonked today, have a bit of a cold and am achy. But I already got a 3-mile walk in and I want to practice Tai Chi a lot through the day. It usually makes me feel better, anyway. I'm glad that yesterday was the end o'month workathon and not today, because I am not up to it. I have a stupid ghost writing assignment that I should get done today, but it won't be too too difficult.

Katrina, i hear you on the 21-minute challenge -- today's one of those days where I feel like I want to tuck myself into bed with a novel and a bag of doughnuts. Guess I won't though... sigh...

Hey, Peggy, where are you in Canada? We had a snow storm here in PEI on Friday, too -- coincidence?

Hope you all have a great day -- as for me, my intention is to just do the darn work and get through it.

xo
babette
3/212 (-3)/1
Closed Thread