Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 12-21-2007, 10:09 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 240.8/235.2/130

Height: 5'4"

Default Turning 35

I'll be turning 35 in just a couple of weeks (Jan 4, to be exact). Last year around this time, I said to myself, "Self, you are not going to be an overweight, out of shape, unfit 35! You're going to use this year to get rockin' on the weight loss and hit that milestone with a vengeance!"

Yeah, it didn't happen. In fact, I've managed in my amazingly self-sabotaging way to put on an additional 20 pounds or so. So I've decided to take a moment to analyze why, before deciding what to do next.

Why did I gain the weight when I wanted to hit a healthy and happy 35 years? I think part of it is that I experimented throughout the year with different medications to help in two areas: depression and uterine fibroids. I don't think either condition helped much either, come to think of it. I know for a fact that the BC pills the doc suggested caused more bleeding than I was having prior to going on them (after a 30 day period and a 28 day period, both with heavy bleeding, I went off of them, anemic and not happy). In addition to that, I'm lazy -- I have a tendency to want to just grab something for lunch rather than brown-bag my own, and my motivation to exercise has been nil. Eating more (and unwisely), moving less, and side-effects of medication have put me in a position that I did not want to be in at this time, this year.

Now what did I learn? Well, changes in eating habits drastically affected both my depression and my fibroids. I experimented for a couple of months (after going off the Pill) with vegetarian cooking and while I got very very bored, the side effect of my fibroids (intense bleeding, long periods) pretty much went away altogether (rather than 12 days of heavy bleeding, I'm down to one or two, then two or three of light -- well, actually, probably normal, but light for me -- which is a blessing!) I've reintroduced poultry and fish with no change, and red meat only occasionally rather than the double-digit meals per week that I was having it before. My depression has lifted enough that I'm off of the medication for that as well.

So now, I'm recomitting myself. While I'm not going into the age of 35 a healthy, vibrant, normal-weight woman, I can use this year to get ready for the rest of my 30's and beyond. So that's my plan. Eat less, make better food choices, move more, weigh once a week, and keep on keeping on.
Chrysalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 10:24 PM   #2  
Maintaining :)

S/C/G: 215/117/120

Height: 5'4"

Congratulations! It sounds like you are on the right track. One thing I have learned about myself - if I set goals, I need to be able to be flexible with them. In the past, I set goals that were unrealistic - at least for me at that time. Goal setting is ok, but only if I give myself permission to adjust those goals along the way. I wanted to be a healthy weight by the time I turned 50. Unfortunately, I couldn't get myself together - mind, body and spirt to do this in time. By the time I was ready to make a lifestyle change, I was only 3 months away from my birthday. OK - no big deal - the new goal is to be at a healthy weight by my 51st birthday. In the scheme of things - I can be my own worst enemy. I love a challenge, but failure can be devastating. So - set goals cautiously - don't allow yourself to fail. I think you have made some really good choices and learned some things about yourself - you will make your goal!
CountingDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 10:34 PM   #3  

Happy Birthday! Before you begin anything, take some time to reflect and congratulate yourself on the issues you have overcome this year. It sounds like the coming year you will be prepared to tackle your next goal and I know you can be successful! Good luck and don't give up!
Pickle Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 11:57 PM   #4  
BLUE team

S/C/G: 238/ticker/138

Height: 5'7''

I think it is important to keep in mind that you don't have to change EVERYTHING to be successful with weight loss. Your preference for grabbing something for lunch rather than brown bagging it is me exactly. And I still do, I just chose different places to pick something up. Rather than fast food or Mexican food or pasta and pizza, I now eat a lot of sandwiches. The fact that I really only had to change the places I eat instead of drastically changing my lunch routine and not going to grab something made it easier to stick to and has not prevented my weight loss from being successful. Continuing to eat out at lunch has been key to me sticking with this new way of eating, and since you mentioned struggling with packing a lunch I just thought I would share my experience in case it can help in any way.
jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 10:51 AM   #5  
Failure Is Not An Option

S/C/G: 250/145/138

Height: 5ft6

That's ok. i said and did the same thing. i'll be turning 36 tomorrow, but will continue dieting after christmas is over.
thinnythighs is offline   Reply With Quote