View Single Post
Old 12-20-2007, 04:28 PM   #3
Glory87

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

Definitely begin immediately to remove sugary soda from your life.

In my experience of 20 years of failed dieting (I could always LOSE weight, I could never keep the weight OFF) you have to make some permanent changes you can stick to for the rest of your life. So, the best diet for YOU is one that only YOU can devise.

Personally, I found it was really easy to completely give up fast food, all packaged baked goods and sugary soda. I lost weight with a combination of concentrating on eating as many "whole" foods as possible and calorie counting. I made a bunch of little changes and a bunch of big changes, but everything was based on me: what I liked, what I would miss, what I could live without. It's been 3 years and I eat almost exactly the way I did when I was losing weight - the habits/changes stuck because they were habits and changes which weren't so hard for me.

Only you can decide what is doable for you.

As far as what to eat - it's not a bad idea to concentrate on eating 5+ servings of fruit and vegetables everyday, eat a lot of lean protein (chicken, turkey, fish, low fat dairy), whole grains (if you make pasta, measure your serving and make it whole grain, whole wheat tortilla, real oatmeal, etc) and healthy fats (2 oz of nuts, nut butters, olive oil, 1/4 of an avocado).

You can also picture your plate divided into 4 equal sections. For every meal, make 1/2 vegetables, 1/4 healthy whole grain/starch (like brown rice, a sweet potato, 2 oz of pasta - measured uncooked) and 1/4 lean protein. Eat healthy fats sparingly but don't avoid them completely (you need them!).

Make sure you eat plenty throughout the day - don't get so hungry you make crazy food decisions. Plan for you - do you LIKE an after dinner snack? Leave some room in your calories to have a little healthy snack after dinner.

Make sure you have healthy foods at your fingertips - it's nearly impossible to eat healthy by accident. Plan to be on plan!!

My very long weight loss story

"I saw an angel in the marble and I chiseled until I set it free."
Michelangelo
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote