South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 12-20-2007, 05:36 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 265/see ticker/175

Height: 5'5"

Default Tackling Thursday

Good morning ladies.
I feel like such a slacker, I haven't let any of you all know that I was ok since I was so sick last week. Whatever I had, hit me really hard and really fast. But I'm so much better now. Just trying to make it through this week (today is last day and then tomorrow starts christmas break). The kids are driving me up the wall...Monday I gave them homework because they were being so bad...then Tuesday I felt bad and said don't worry about doing it. Then yesterday I threatened them with it. LOL..They have just been off the charts. But they've been so sweet at the same time. Well I'm off to get my stuff together. I just wanted to say good morning and I hope everyone has a great day.

Fluff (Tina)
Old 12-20-2007, 05:52 AM   #2  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Aw, Tina, I well remember teaching those last few days before Christmas - tired teachers and excited kidlets. You will definitely need your break. It's nice to hear that you are feeling better.

I have a ton of things to tackle today. I made a list of jobs last night and it's too darned long! As my knee is giving me a lot of grief these snowy days, I'm having to pace myself and alternate standing and sitting jobs. What a PITA! This morning we pack the Christmas baskets for the village but I think I'll just sit and write out delivery slips. This afternoon I'll tackle some more stuff around here until Hershey and I leave for pet therapy at the nursing home. My days seem over full lately but I'm having fun.

May your day be full of light and other nice things.
Old 12-20-2007, 06:05 AM   #3  
Visualizing the Goal

Height: 5'4"

Morning, Tina and Ruth!

Tina, I'm glad you're feeling better but I'm sorry the kids are driving you up a wall. Maybe give them some extra group work so they can get the chatters out.

Ruth, sorry to hear your knee has been achy. Sounds like you have a good plan to keep it as pain-free as you can, and at least you have that surgery date to look forward to.

We had a busy day today. I'm trying to keep on the move as I am steadily losing the battle against the cookies and candies all over my house. I lost another pound as of this morning, so my increased exercise is at least keeping the scale happy. My scale is nearly as moody as I, however, so who knows what will set it off on another grump-attack!

Off to clean up the kitchen and read to the kids. I love the evening time with them. They're so sweet at night. Right now, Connor is reading library books to Kadyn, which just about brings tears to my eyes. They love each other so much!

Be back later!

Kara
Old 12-20-2007, 06:16 AM   #4  
-

S/C/G: Size 16 to 18/Size 6/I'm there

Height: 5"3" Age: 55

I can relate with the kids. I have 300 five year olds and they are all going a little bonkers right now...we finish tomorrow. I have only 2 classes today and 2 tomorrow due to holiday programs going on at school...then I'm "free" till the 7th..but clients usually grab all the "free" time. I plan on taking Sunday off to bring my Mom to the cemetery to visit and am going to take off tomorrow night to take her out for a plantation tour and candlelight dinner for her anniversary (would have been their 61st) Should be fun and she doesn't know where we are going....it's a surprise. I just told her to wear her finery.

No idea what's on our menu today...will find out when I go to the grocery store.

Last edited by femmecreole; 12-20-2007 at 06:18 AM.
Old 12-20-2007, 06:28 AM   #5  
Visualizing the Goal

Aw, Cat. You're the best. I'm sure your mom will really appreciate all of the thought you put into the trip.

You teach a computer class, right? What kinds of things do you work on with those little ones? I've just started Connor (6 years old) on doing some e-mails and he has excellent mouse skills from playing computer games that we have. It's funny because I didn't really use a computer until college so I have no clue what's expected of grammar school age kids in that department!

Kara
Old 12-20-2007, 06:34 AM   #6  
-

S/C/G: Size 16 to 18/Size 6/I'm there

Height: 5"3" Age: 55

We pretty much concentrate on reading and math skills.
We have tons of software in the class, but as of this year can't use it. Got all new computers (took 3 years to do) and the software is just too outdated to use on the new computers. So, what I did was to make a couple of pages with links to games on the web that coordinate with skills the teachers are covering in their classes. We are doing "Starfall" right now with 3/4 of them.
And with the other 1/4, we are doing a program called "Headsprout", which is kind of pricey, so only 6 kids from each class work with it. It also involves a lot of "paper work" on my part, but a great program for reading.
Old 12-20-2007, 06:39 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 186/147/135

Height: 5'1"

I can relate to the kids, too. There's so much excitement in the air! A bunch of us took our kids to Moonbounce Adventures after their school parties yesterday, and it was just the antidote they needed to work off all the sugar in their systems.
I have an early start time this morning since the girls are off school, and w e're going to have several of their friends over for a Cookie Decorating Party. That should be fun! Hopefully by this afternoon, they'll be ready to settle down and watch a movie. I'm taking over the old Shirley Temple classic, Heidi. I love that movie and can't wait!

Fluff, I'm glad you're feeling better!

Ruth, wise idea to find a job you can do while sitting. My ankle is forcing me to sit down more often, too. That surgery date will be here before you know it.

Kara, Isn't it the sweetest thing when the older child reads to the younger one? Maggie will snuggle up close to Audrey, and Audrey will put her arm around her while she's reading to her. It just melts my heart to look at them. How did your day at the DR. go? Did you get your medical records?
Old 12-20-2007, 06:43 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 186/147/135

Height: 5'1"

Cat, that's a wonderful present for your mother, she's going to love it! That "Starfall" program is wonderful, I've been using it for Maggie, and she has learned so much from it.
Old 12-20-2007, 08:56 AM   #9  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

Good Morning, everybody!

Tina, glad you're back amongst the living...and healthy! I hear you on the kids. Trying to teach for these last couple days is pretty worthless, eh? Like trying to teach the day after Halloween when all of them are hyped up on chocolate and sugar from the night before. Hope it's a great day!

Quote:
May your day be full of light and other nice things.
Ah, Ruth, I like that a lot! Light sure is a nice thing...a coworker told me we're close to the winter solstice (tomorrow?), so we'll be getting more light slowly until spring. Yay!!! I hope you pamper yourself, hon. Don't make yourself stand any more than you have to. When I hurt my leg, DH brought down a desk chair for me (like a typing chair) that had wheels and I rolled all over the kitchen! Just be careful, okay?

Kara, you're making me sniffle! What darlings your little ones are! Reading is SOOOO important for them...and learning to love reading is just as important, IMHO. I'm so glad you've made it something special enough that they even want to do it on their own. Your group work idea is inspired--I never even thought of doing that! Do you teach besides your AWANA work?

Wowsee-wow, Cat!!! That's such a very special gift for your mom! I love that you're helping your mom continue to celebrate your parents' anniversary.

A great website for reading skill development for little ones (up to at least 3rd grade, if not later, depending on skill level), is the PBS site for Between the Lions (a great show!). There are great activities there, but I especially like the videos. They are like very updated versions of the things I learned on Sesame Street or Schoolhouse Rock when I was a kid! Kara, I don't know a ton about what kids at that age should be able to do on a computer, but they can do a whole lot more with the mouse than they can in the real world. It's like combining gross motor skills with fine motor...but they don't have to make their hands do the fine motor stuff...just line up the cursor or pointer. Alphabet games or games that make you use the letters and numbers on the keyboard can be a great way to introduce them to the way the keyboard is set up and make them ready to learn to type later.

Me:
Oh, I'm definitely sick again. It's my own darn fault. I had to send a couple of e-mails to work last night for the various projects I'm working on, but I had over 140 e-mails to wade through. I got through them all, but didn't go to bed until 2. Oy! Today's the last day of work, thankfully, so I think I'll be getting more sleep from here on out. Thankfully I'll have a week off in January before going back to work.

I'm planning on doing Christmas cards at work today. I just have to make sure I get myself away from the computer first!

Have a great day, chicks! Stay well and happy!
Old 12-20-2007, 09:01 AM   #10  
KO
In Pursuit of Divatude!

Morning Ladies!
I have Shatzi's "voice" in my ear saying GET SOME CAWFEEE I started my AM off with Kashi instead of a coffee protein shake. I was going to get water but Sgt Shatzi Commands! (keep telling yourself that Kier!)

Tina just take a deep breath! soon its VACATION TIME!
Ruth Another Jam-packed day for you lady! would heat help your knee at all? Since you're super snowy I think we'll trade in the cabana boy for a nordic ski instructor to come rub your knee! "Oh Sven!"
Kara That has got to be the sweetest thought for this morning! BACK AWAY FROM THE COOKIES you've kicked so much butt you're worth more than a cookie!
Cat OMG I want to go to that plantation! so gorgeous!! what a treat for your Mom! You're a good Daughter!
Cottage I love Shirley Temple! I wanna come over!

Me: Today's plans include Resting (bleh) finally getting to do the writing from yesterday. Readdressing Xmas cards. and Hopefully when DH gets home from the funeral Decorating. He's not been in the mood and I told him if he doesn't I'm going to put Candycanes on the tree and call it a day!

Speaking of DH I'm the most Rockingest Gift Giver EVA. (I took trumpet lessons I can toot my own horn!) I made him a customized Mug with Pics from Our IReland Trip online should be getting shipped to my Moms today I hope! and I got him a camping GPS. . .My idea and then I sought the appropriate tech support (My Joe!) And an Antique Postcard of Santa on a Ham Radio!
I'm so darn excited!
On that note! its coffee or Green Tea time depending on which I float to first! bbiab!
Kierie
Old 12-20-2007, 09:03 AM   #11  
HAPPY HEALTHY ME

S/C/G: 215.4/-/165

Height: 5'2"

5 Days til Christmas and I am alomost done with my shopping. Hope everyone else is getting to the done spot soon.

Tina glad your feeling better. The kids sound so excited all willbe back to normal soon.

Ruth do try and rest that knee as often as possible I know it will be kinda hard as I swear you are the busiest woman ever.

Kara Yay! on the weight loss.

Cat you always have such nice plans for your mom thats awesome - enjoy!

Morning Cottage I hope you enjoy your day

Well I'm not beating myself up anymore over the chocolates I ate yesturday cause that was yesturday - thank God for new days (new beginnings)

Have a great day ladies! I'll check back in later
Old 12-20-2007, 09:04 AM   #12  
KO
In Pursuit of Divatude!

Laurie feel better hon!! I can picture you shooting around your kitchen in an office chair! I think I'd launch myself off the walls. and DH would find Kid's size 4 foot prints all over the walls!!

ok now I am going to Hot Beverages and Beyond!!!
Kierie
Old 12-20-2007, 09:05 AM   #13  
HAPPY HEALTHY ME

S/C/G: 215.4/-/165

Height: 5'2"

Laurie & KO sorry I missed you guys. I hope you both get to feeling better real soon . Get lots of rest.
Old 12-20-2007, 09:11 AM   #14  
KO
In Pursuit of Divatude!

Hi Gonna You have a great day! What chocolates?

by the by Now I'm singing school house Rock
"conjunction Junction" "I'm just a bill sitting here on Capitol Hill"
Man! I need to put the radio on before someone hears me!
Old 12-20-2007, 09:15 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 261/252/145

Good morning chicks,
DH has plugged the refrigerator back in and we are holding our breath to see if it will work now.
I have checked on my nighties, and so far nobody else has bid.
So, everything seems to be going well.
I've got to do some catching up in my online training today, and laundry and cleaning. I hope to get a lot of wrapping done too, since I've only got today and tomorrow to get it done without kids around.
I woke up with bad cramps again this morning, but no TOM (sorry Tom). This is the third morning in a row - very weird cycle this month.

Tina, glad you are feeling better. Go ahead and torment the kids. As a parent, I approve.
Ruth, LOL you reminded me of some friends I used to have. Their nickname for their son was Pita. The boy had no idea what that meant, of course. I wonder if he ever figured it out... Thanks for the wish, I would love to see some sunlight around here. I think it's been a couple of weeks of gloom now.
Kara, nighttime reading is such a special time. Even at 9 and 11, my kids would have heart attacks if I tried to cut out bedtime reading. I would miss it too, although I sometimes wish for a night off. In our case, the younger often reads to the older, though, since DD is a voracious reader, and DS has taken much longer to develop his reading skills. Computer skills have been the saving grace for him. His handwriting and spelling is terrible, and he started doing everything on the computer about a year ago. He is very smart, so technology allows him to show that to the world, for which I am very thankful. Even with a learning disability, he got straight As on his report card. We have a spongebob keyboarding game that helped them a lot with their typing. I am a very fast typer and I've never regretted taking that high school typing course. It has served me well throughout the years. Poor DH, he is a two-fingered hunt-and-peck.
Laurie, thanks for reminding me. For the solstice, every one in town got luminarias, and we're supposed to put them out tomorrow night. It'll be fun to see how many get put out. So sorry you are under the weather.
Cat, you are so thoughtful. I'm sure your mom will be touched.
cottage, have fun with your girls! Can you believe I've never seen that movie?

Have a good one chicks!
Closed Thread