Old 12-17-2007, 10:28 PM   #1  

Default New to group need to lose 60

Hello,

I am a stress eater, and have watched the pounds creep up over the past 5 years.

2 years ago I lost 10 pounds, but have since put back on 20. I am ready to make some changes. I am tired of the belly, the heavy arms and double chin.

I am not sure how to determine how much I need to lose, but figure 140lbs would be a healthy weight for a woman 5'4" tall. That is a 60 pound decrease.

I do not have any health issues and my doctor has okay'd me for weight loss achieved by diet and exercise. I know that I need to work on the exercise part of the equation.

With Christmas barely a week away I am not going to stress about losing any weight between now and New Year's Eve. My first goal is to maintain my current weight for the duration of the holidays.

I do not plan to weigh in very often, but I am going to take a set of measurements and keep track of my loss that way.

Wish me well.

michelle
mgagnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 08:45 AM   #2  
Smoochie's Girl

S/C/G: 262/170/140

Height: 5'8"

Welcome Michelle!!!
I have to agree with you- I didn't start until the day after New Year's Day. Now it's almost 1 year later and 91 lbs gone. You're gonna love 3FC!! I find myself cracking up most of the time, oh yeah, and learning a few things along the way.
Can I make a small suggestion? Please get yourself an accurate scale before you start. Mine was junk and now I really don't know what my starting weight was.
Post often and have a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!!!

Last edited by Janny O; 12-18-2007 at 08:45 AM.
Janny O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 01:46 PM   #3  

Default Thanks for the encouragement

Wow I am truly impressed that you managed to lose so much weight in a year. Are you following a specific plan for diet and exercise?

Good suggestion about getting a good scale. The one we have is very old and I have no idea how accurate it may be. Is there a list of suggested scales on this website? I do not have much of a budget to put towards replacing the one we have. I was thinking that I could weigh in at our community centre gym, but of course it is hard to know if that scale is accurate either.

I cannot afford to join a gym or group such as Weight Watchers, but I can afford a good pair of shoes and my dog needs to walk as much as I do. My community centre has drop in fitness, both land and water based, so I may try that too.
mgagnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 08:17 AM   #4  
Smoochie's Girl

S/C/G: 262/170/140

Michelle,
If you have a Wal-Mart close by, they have "Health O Meter" Scales. It's digital and VERY accurate. About $30.00.
I don't use a plan or belong to a gym. Just count calories and exercise at home. My success is attributed to eating protein first thing in the morning, comsuming most of the calories in the midday, and light dinner with no night snacking. Pretty basic. However, I plan for everything, eating out, weekly meals, even activities to keep me busy on my known bad day (Sunday).
Doing this has really changed my outlook on life. It's truly amazing what happens. Even the super small things are different.
So, let's make 2008 your year!!
Best of luck to you, and have a safe and Happy Holiday Season!
Janny O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 04:24 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 230/223/150

Height: 5'3"

Hi Michelle, i am new too, good luck, maybe we will hear from eachother on the posts.
sgs66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 05:16 PM   #6  
Pat

S/C/G: 198/see ticker/150

Height: 5'0"

Hi Michelle,
I'm new too! My first goal is 55 pounds. I really want to do it this time and am working hard at it. It's not easy but I can do it because I want to. I hope both of us are successful. It's nice to know there are people out there who can cheer you on....WE CAN DO IT!!!
ieduc8em is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 07:13 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 250/150

I am back on the wagon as of two days ago. Nice to meet you mgagnon.
deedledee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 06:42 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 213/166/137

Height: 5 ft

Hello I usually post on the UK Chicks but we are all the one really don't you think, and I am 43!!

I lost a lot of weight and it took me over two years I didn't attend any slimming club I did it by myself. I've recently put a small bit back on which I am attempting to shift.

Just wanted to say hello.

Michele
micheleherts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 09:43 AM   #9  
sandy

S/C/G: 207/197/140

I read a lot of your postings and I am quite impressed with your success. I had a few questions, I hope you dont mind. I'm new, and didnt know where to start.
Jan, you say you start out the day w/ protein. What do you eat? How many calories a day do you consume? Do you keep a journal? Do you have any books you swear by? How about exercise? How did you start out. Ok, I had more than a few questions....
I am looking for an email buddy, a weight loss friend. Anyone interested?
It's tough to go this alone, but this time is for good. I am at my highest weight now, and the time is NOW. I have been a woman with excuses. NO MORE! I am just looking for a routine. Yours was successful, and I'd love to try it. Let me know.
Congrats on your success so far. You must be thrilled.

Sandy
skm0005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 12:15 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 175 / 140 / 125

Height: 5'2"

Welcome to all of you. Janny O's advice is very good advice. If you're having trouble finding a thread that posts often jump in at the 40 something support on the top of this page. We do alot of yaching about family and life, but many a nugget of good weightloss advice is there to be gleaned as well.
Happy posting and losing to all!
lovnmom is offline   Reply With Quote