General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 12-17-2007, 05:49 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 262/259.2/160

Height: 5'6

Talking SMOKEFREE 1 Yr. Today!!!!

Well I made it - 1 yr. ago yesterday I smoked my last cigarette and decided it was gonna be for good. I am more than proud of myself for kicking the habit which I never dreamed I would be able to.

And with the good comes some bad - I have put back on my 48lbs that I had lost - really I was already on my way to putting it back on but quitting smoking definately didn't help.

The battle is not over - with having nearly 100lbs to lose - and the depression and upset from my weight there is temptation quite often lately to light up again but I won't give in.

I will overcome this battle of my weight - I know I can do it - I just have to believe I can do now!!!!

Anyways - I'm proud of myself - 1 foot in front of the other - one bad habit at a time!!!!!!!
kl_life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 06:03 PM   #2  
2 wheels is plenty :D

S/C/G: 264/195/150

Height: 5'4"

I quit back in 1997...so I know how hard it is.
chick_in_the_hat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 06:09 PM   #3  
ugggg.....

Congratulations!! My daughter quit in April when she found out she was pregnant--she has people asking if she is going to start again after she has the baby....she's like how dumb would that be. She's trying to get her boyfriend to quit, but he's not interested.
jules1216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 06:57 PM   #4  
Heather 2.0

S/C/G: 290/281/139

Height: 5'8"

I know, for me, looking back on having been able to give something up for 16 months was the kick start to asking myself - hey, what ELSE can I do... can I lose this weight? That was nine months and ninety-five pounds ago.

You just keep on reminding yourself of how far you've COME - and the distance of where you want to go will get smaller and smaller and smaller Those things you never dreamed you could do? You ARE doing them!!

Good luck!

Last edited by HeatherAngel; 12-17-2007 at 06:57 PM.
HeatherAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 07:42 PM   #5  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

S/C/G: 201/186/180

Height: 6'

CONGRATULATIONS! I have been free for 10 years last August after being a slave for almost 25 years! If you can quit that nasty habit you can do anything!

Congrats to you too HEATHER! and HAT-CHICK! and JULES DD!
EZMONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 09:30 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 322/255/175

Height: 5'6"

CONGRATULATIONS! What an accomplishment! My dh quit in 1980 after a 3-pack a day habit - he saw my dear aunt dying from emphysema - my 21 year old son smokes now - it breaks my heart - I'm still praying he quits though!
Lori
mom2fivesweeties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 10:25 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 201/190/125

Height: 5'3

Congratulations! An excellent start to a healthier life!!!!
Ready4aChange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 11:18 PM   #8  
Rosebud

S/C/G: 30/Goal Met:L-XL/relosing some

FOR YOU for quitting smoking !!! I agree with EZ: if you can quit smoking, which is very difficult; then you can get your weight under control as well. It just takes time, that's all.

Dh and I quit about five years ago; the smartest thing we ever did. I had quit and gained weight before; so this time, I was determined not to. I started eating healthier at the same time! As time went by, the cravings stopped; and now I am finding that I have also lost the craving for some junk foods as well.

Last edited by Justwant2Bhealthy; 12-17-2007 at 11:19 PM.
Justwant2Bhealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 11:28 PM   #9  
Weight Loss; Control Gain

S/C/G: ?/?/130

Height: 4'11"

Congrats, if you can do it for 1 year, you can do it for life!
vixjean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 11:55 PM   #10  
I'm going to do it!!!!

S/C/G: 233/233/150

Wow! Congrats!

Did u just decide? Any pointers?? I just smoked my last one about an hour ago, and I am trying to NOT buy another pack! After 3 days I get a craving, thats where I have issues...
KiraNichole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 05:40 PM   #11  
Gettin Closer!!

S/C/G: See Signature

Height: Tall enough for my feet to reach the ground

That Is Awesome!!!! Congratulations!
StillTryin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 05:44 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 262/259.2/160

Height: 5'6

Default Thanks!

Hey Thanks everyone for all the positive thoughts...I really appreciate it. As we know - it's a life changing thing so it's learning to live without it and not fall back on it when we know it's not going to make things better.

Jamie -
Yes I did just decide - I was flat out sick of it. Sick of wasting my money, my time especially standing outside in the winter, the smell, damage to my health, the thought of not living a long life with my husband. After several failed attempts - cold turkey, gradually, the patch...I finally went to my doctor and spoke with her about it.

My biggest problem was the depression and crying from the thought of not being able to smoke. My mom said it best "your saying goodbye to a good friend". When I'd try to quit I wasn't snappy- I'd simply cry! My Dr. put me on Zyban(anti-depressant similar to wellbutrin) and I can't remember how long I was suppose to take it but I only took it for 5wks because it worked great up until the 5th week when I started to feel like it was doing the opposite - making me emotional. The only side effect within the 5wks was 2nights of insomnia. I only quit taking it because I knew 150% that I was ready to go my own otherwise I would've stayed on and learned to deal with the emotional aspect until I was ready.

Tips -
#1. stick with it. The first 3 days are the hardest for SURE and for me the 3rd day was the worst.
#2. not even one puff - in prior attempts I thought I could be a casual smoker when I drank...doesn't work that way. If you wanna quit you shouldn't even do it casually.
#3. write about/talk about it - either get yourself a journal to write about how you have been feeling, etc. and if you have someone you share your thoughts with - be open with them so that they can be there to encourage you and help you get through the rough times - because you will have them!!
#4. If you slip up don't beat yourself up - get rid of it/them and start again.
#5. exercise and drink lots of water - if your an emotional smoker this will especially help you relieve that.

There is no better time than the present!

I wish you the best of luck and know that you can do this - JUST BELIEVE IN YOURSELF!!!!!!!

Last edited by kl_life; 12-18-2007 at 05:49 PM.
kl_life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 03:16 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 200/170/130

Congrats! You should be very proud of yourself... you have added many healthy years to your life.
thinby08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 01:03 PM   #14  

Height: 5'5"

Great Job!!! It is very difficult to quit smoking...I have been smoke free for 16 mos! As you said one addiction at a time. keep up the great work!!!
upswife is offline   Reply With Quote