View Single Post
Old 12-17-2007, 12:24 PM   #6
LaurieDawn

Height: 5'5"

Congratulations, Toni, on treating your body well enough that it knows better now than to accept what you used to feed it. Not a pleasant experience, but one that sounds like it will keep you on the right track.

KiraNichole - Giving up fast food is a challenge for so many of us. But, at least for me, it was often just a convenience rather than something I genuinely enjoyed. Truly, how many people use the words "delicious" or "scrumptious" to describe a cheeseburger from McDonald's? (The French fries - maybe...) It's not about will power. It's about commitment and planning. If you normally stop on the way home from work, for example, why not plan to have a healthy snack prepared and packed that you can eat on the way home? If it's normally a quick fix for dinner, why not plan to have something in your house that meets the criteria you need? For example, I don't like to spend a lot of time cooking, so I have multiple options for either a quick-fix meal or even something that I don't have to prepare, like cereal, fruit, and yogurt. Planning and determination will succeed where will power won't. I don't know many people who find it easy to turn down unhealthy food when they're starving and don't have any other options. The trick is to make sure that you have those other options. (Being careful not to let yourself get to the point where you're ravenous helps, too.)