Old 12-15-2007, 07:46 PM   #1  
Starting over Spring 2011

Height: 5'10"

Red face Discouraged, not giving up!

Hi, everyone,

I used to post here awhile ago, and everyone was so nice and supportive. I don't have a 100 pounds to go, but I remember being accepted here anyway. I have been through a rough year. I finally got started again on weight loss and joined Weight Watchers in June. Progress has been very slow and I just had a gain of four pounds, which totally bummed me out. I take medicine that causes weight gain and it took me awhile to believe that I could still lose, and then I had the gain. And I have been discouraged anyhow about the slow losing---although it beats gaining. I think I know what happened and this week I lost .6 (just over half) a pound, so I felt a little better. I know I am in this for the long haul and I remembered this forum. Thanks for listening. I look forward to getting to know everyone.

I have had a few smaller gains, but I am mainly just discouraged about the slow pace of my loss. It is going to take forever! And it is hard to stay motivated .

Last edited by tkdkathy; 12-15-2007 at 07:52 PM. Reason: add something
tkdkathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 08:15 PM   #2  
One life, live it well

S/C/G: 304|ticker|160

Height: 5'6½

Welcome back!! This is the best place to be to stay encouraged. I have also returned a couple weeks ago after a disastrous year - weightwise - and it's good! As far a losing slowly, you said it best when you say that it beats gaining! I know it can be frustrating though. The thing that has helped me in the past is to remind myself that I'm making a lifestyle change. This isn't something I'm going to be able to stop once I reach a magical number on the scale. So, while I want it to happen quickly, at the same time I know that we are all different...we are on many different plans...with different levels of commitment...so there will be different results when it comes to weightloss. The important thing is that it's going in the right direction. GL, Kathy and be encouraged! I'm looking forward to being on this journey with you.
Nori71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 04:50 AM   #3  
beautiful on the inside:P

S/C/G: 119 (262) /107 (235) /60 (132)

Height: 5'6''

Hang in there Kathy. Like Momto said, it's about lifestyle. You're on the right path. Also, as I have read frequently suggested on this site, how about going by measurements instead. You may be losing from areas that you don't know about, though the scale reads the same
kasmin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 11:23 AM   #4  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Welcome back Kathy!

We have all struggled with our weight so you are not alone. I too have felt discouraged at certain times because I wasn't losing weight or I was having trouble losing weight. It has taken me nearly 4 years to lose the weight I have lost and I do wish I had done it faster BUT having maintained the perseverance, I have lost more than I ever thought possible.

So yes it may be taking you longer than you expected but you will get there. Time is going to pass anyway, wouldn't you rather lose the weight than not?

Also I know we say it time and time again but think of your weight loss efforts as a lifestyle change. Include exercise into your daily life and include healthier eating choices into your daily life. If what you doing isn't working, then tweak it a bit but don't try to fall into the mentality that the changes you make are temporary and be given up. If you do fall back on former habits, get up, dust yourself off and continue on.

Last edited by nelie; 12-16-2007 at 11:23 AM.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 12:27 PM   #5  
Former Quitter

S/C/G: 310/310/180

Height: 5'7

Welcome back, Kathy! I understand about slow weight loss and getting discouraged. But, as long as you keep trying, there is still hope.
GirlyGirlSebas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 12:37 PM   #6  
M.S. + living balance

S/C/G: 325/200's/199

tdk - being discouraged is okay but it's more important that you dont give up sometimes scales are a real bummer. I only lost one pound this week - but I also lost an inch around my body

I've had to find other ways to measure my success than just the scale- because my loss has recently really slowed too. Stay on track even with you dont feel like it and I'm sure you wont regret it. You deserve to get to your goal!
valpal23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 03:17 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

Of course you're not giving up!

Welcome back!

Last edited by Heather; 12-16-2007 at 03:17 PM.
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 03:32 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 343/293/199

Height: 5'8"

Welcome Back!!!
xJox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 06:28 PM   #9  
Hi From Canada, eh?

S/C/G: check the ticker :)

Height: 5'8

someone on this board gave me great advice months and months ago, when i was discouraged by the slow speed -- she said "hey, slow or not, the time is going to pass regardless....at the end of that time, you can be UP 20 or down 7 or 8, your choice" I've remembered that ever since! slow or not, the right direction is all that matters
Trazey34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 11:17 AM   #10  
Kelly M

S/C/G: 246/147/150 WW Goal

Firsrt, welcome back to the chicken yard! As others have already told you, just hang in there. By being on plan you may lose very slowly, but any loss is a step in the right direction. If you're not on plan, it's likely that you could travel in the opposite direction, so just keep at it! You will get there!
boaterswife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 12:07 PM   #11  

Welcome back, Kathy!

I am entering a period of frustrating slow (and often nonexistent) weight loss and am trying to figure out why that is. So, what I'm clinging onto for now - until I figure a way to make the scale move again - is the fact that I am happier living this lifestyle than my previous one. Yes, it is tougher and more inconvenient. But, I feel better when I am not bloated from serious overeating. And I feel better and more connected to my body when I'm exercising. I even feel better about the way that I look when I can feel the muscle hardening under the fat. Finding the good things about the lifestyle change even when the weight is not coming off is what keeps me going for now. Maybe it would help you too?
LaurieDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 08:32 PM   #12  
Starting over Spring 2011

Oh my gosh. Thank you all so much. I was just sitting here feeling more discouraged, when I remembered I had posted here. Thank you so much for the welcome and support. I might try tweaking here and there, but I AM going to make it to my goal. Thanks!
tkdkathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 12:47 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

If you persist, you will eventually get to where you want to be. As others have mentioned, it's about changing your lifestyle for the rest of your life. It took me years to lose 100 lbs., but I made it. Turtles really can win.
Sheila53 is offline   Reply With Quote