Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 12-16-2007, 08:36 AM   #1  
Captain Prescriptivism

S/C/G: 235/180/135

Height: 5'3"

Default Evening binging :(

I have recently been doing well with exercise, especially since I discovered the joys of jogging. And during the day, I've been doing well with eating, too. But often at night I completely blow it. Example: yesterday. I did a jogging/walking routine for 40 minutes, 32 1/2 of which I was jogging. I took a two hour sabre fencing lesson. I ate a yogurt for breakfast, a frozen banana for a snack, and a chickpea patty and a glass of milk for lunch.

And then for dinner I had two pieces of fried chicken, maybe eight chicken nuggets, two cheese curls, a yogurt, and half a glass of sprite.

I think the cause of this might be that I restrict calories for most meals, but expect to eat a normal dinner, and whenever I eat very much of something I have the urge to eat a lot more. I also have trouble handling myself around high- fat foods. If I eat ANY, I want to eat a ton.

What has worked for you in stopping this kind of evening binging (bingeing?)?
ImpalaHoarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 09:22 AM   #2  
No description available.

I've had the same problem as you for a long time. You may try eating more during the day. I would be starving on what you ate for breakfast and lunch! You are exercising a lot as well, which is good, but you need fuel. You have plenty of calories left for dinner so I think you can have a robust dinner. Crank up the veggies and choose lean meats and healthy fats. Who bought/made the chicken? Was it you? Make a different choice next time....grilled chicken breast, a baked sweet potato, steamed broccoli, and a ginormous salad will come closer to rounding out your calories AND nutrition for the day.

I wanted to add that I have a STRICT no seconds policy so I am very thoughtful about what I put on my plate the first time. It's gotta be filling AND nutritious and have my target calories for the meal.

Last edited by midwife; 12-16-2007 at 09:24 AM.
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 09:30 AM   #3  
Heather 2.0

S/C/G: 290/281/139

Height: 5'8"

I agree with midwife - I'd be ravenous by dinner based on your breakfast and lunch. Get those calories up during the day, and you'll be less likely to 'binge' later.

You might want be sure you have some lean protein at every meal, too, which I find helps me control any 'cravings' - and to be honest, there are things I simply cannot have in the house. For example - one piece of cheesecake? NEVER! haha - so it's simply not available.

Good luck, and well done on the exercise!

Heather
HeatherAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 10:41 AM   #4  

i have that same problem too. but i usually get through dinner without overdoing it. i'm more likely to start binging about an hour after dinner. eating more (healthy foods) throughout the day, having snacks between meals so i'm not starving in the evening, and planning ahead for an after dinner snack that won't undo the whole day. also, finding something to do right after dinner other than watching tv helps (cuz i eat while i watch out of habit.) a big problem for me is if my favorite binge foods are in the house, i can't resist them. but i can't get rid of all that stuff cuz not everyone in the house is on a diet! so i have to make sure i have the right kinds of snacks foods around so i can make a good choice. i also find that getting on this website for help and to help others is a good distraction and motivates me.

also, don't beat yourself up if you mess up! just get back on the wagon the next day and keep trying! if i start to put myself down after a binge, i'm more likely to do it again the next day and the next...

Lola

SexyChicks http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=127730

Last edited by countrygirl7902; 12-16-2007 at 10:43 AM.
countrygirl7902 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 11:18 AM   #5  
Sleek and Fit. Finally.

S/C/G: 159/139.4/135

Height: 5'5"

From what you said you eat, I would also say you are probably eating a little too little during the day.

Try adding in some fruits and some whole grains. Also at lunch have some healthy vegetables as well. Adding in fiber will help fill you up, and fruits and vegetables are the best low calorie way to do that. The lean proteins are a good idea as well. Even if it's just a having a handful of nuts with each snack you eat...

I'm with country girl on the keeping busy thing as well. I find keeping my hands busy or my mind occupied helps me to not eat.

I also have a cut off. I don't usually eat after 8pm. I find if I do I usually get a stomach ache. The only time I eat after 8 is if I'm absolutely starving and I know not eating will mean I won't be able to sleep.
Cats tongue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 11:52 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 209/209/160

Height: 5'9

More calories during the day, more veggies with dinner (and with lunch, too) and lean protein with each meal. It's important to select your foods mindfully--with an eye to satiety and nutrition as well as to low calories. Bingeing in the evening is practically guaranteed by the way you're eating.

A 'normal dinner' should have veggies, whole grains and lean protein and should be relatively low fat. You should strive to make meals like that your new 'normal.' It's the way to lose weight AND keep it off.
baffled111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 12:12 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

When I start to get the munchies in the evening I try to fend them off with a hot cup of tea. It keeps me occupied for a while and sometimes makes me feel full.

But the others are wise by suggesting you may be eating because you're too hungry!
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 01:23 PM   #8  
Low Carb Lolita

S/C/G: 185/see ticker/135

Height: 5'7"

I agree with everyone else--it sounds like your daytime calories are SUPER low. I haven't entered them into any sort of program, but a guesstimate for me places them at probably less than 600 calories? If I only ate 600 calories during the most active part of my day, I would be overeating at dinner, too! I agree with everyone else: protein with each meal, more calories throughout the day.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 03:01 PM   #9  
Mens sana in corpore sano

S/C/G: 165/121/120ish

Height: 5'2 (157 cm)

I agree with the others. What you listed looks like it's too little, especially with the level of activity you mentioned. You can have a normal dinner AND lunch AND breakfast if you put vegetables and protein in each, and some whole grains as well (but not too much, of course).
Kery is offline   Reply With Quote