South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 12-16-2007, 08:38 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 187/173/125

Height: 5'6"

Default What do you all think of these?

I'm starting Phase 2 soon, and I have these things in the back of my cupboard from when I dieted earlier this year. They're the high protein cereal bars (specifically the chocolate flavored one) from SBD. They say they're for Phase 2. I know some of the stuff SBD makes as far as food can be questionable, so what do you think of these? I know I won't be able to start eating masses of these cereal bars immediately. I'd like to eventually (far into the future) be able to have them as a quick breakfast when I'm in a rush or something. Only if they're actually good for me and not just there to put the SBD logo in the supermarket.

Opinions??
leanmoomercows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 08:57 AM   #2  
-

S/C/G: Size 16 to 18/Size 6/I'm there

Height: 5"3" Age: 55

This is just me, but I avoid all those prepackaged things, SB or otherwise.
guess they are alright in a real emergency pinch on the go.

The ingredients read like a list of SB poison to me:

Ingredients: Soy Nuggets (Soy Protein Isolate, Tapioca Starch), Sugar, Maltitol Syrup, Fractionated Palm Kernel Oil (Palm Kernel Oil), Soy Protien Concentrate, Roasted Soy Nuts, Corn Syrup, Oligofructose (For Fiber), Evaporated Cane Juice Invert Syrup, Sunflower Oil, Maltitol, Brown Rice Syrup, Cocoa (Processed with Alkali), Nonfat Milk, Milk Protein Concentrate, Cocoa, Calcium Caseinate, Calcium Carbonate, Tricalcium Phosphate, Lactose, Salt, Soy Lecithin, Butter (Cream, Annatoo (color), Salt), Dextrose, Whey, Flavor (Natural), Palm Oil, Citric Acid, Mono and DiGlycerides, Artificial Flavor, Cocoa Butter, Caramel Color, Ferric Phosphate (Source of Iron), Niacinamide, Sucralose (Sweetener), Zinc Oxide (Source of Zinc), Magnesium Carbonate, Vitamin B6, Vitamin A Palmitate, Riboflavin (Vitamin B2), Thiamin Mononitrate (Vitamin B1), Vitamin B12.
femmecreole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 09:26 AM   #3  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

I agree, Cat. What is that stuff and why put it into your body? I really think Dr. A. sold out to grab and go pressure.
Check out the recipe board for Nessa's Oatmeal Bars.
Ruthxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 11:07 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 186/147/135

Height: 5'1"

I agree, too. Don't waste your time on those bars, they're not that good and the one time I did try them, it made me ravenously hungry later and caused awful sugar cravings.
I would just toss them, they're definitely NOT worth it.
cottagebythesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 12:50 PM   #5  
Pregnant w/PCOS

S/C/G: On Hold

Height: 5'4

I bought a box for DH but only because he works nights and needs something between the end of his shift and the roll call they have to go to in the morning. He takes lunch and snacks but for this purpose, he has to have something portable that doesn't need refridgeration. He said they aren't very good but they do the job to keep him from eating donuts and that sort of thing when people bring them in (which isn't often but it's a just in case snack).
LoveMySgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 01:37 PM   #6  
Enjoying healthy living

Height: 5'9"

I too bought a few boxes of these to have on hand. They've come in handy when I've got back-to-back-to-back appointments, no time to prepare a lunch, and I'm sure to get hungry on my errands. (I also keep nuts in my car console for the same reason). If it's been too long since breakfast and I know the nuts aren't going to cut it, or if I've already had nuts, I'll have a bar.

Most days I avoid this issue by packing my and my husband's lunch and two daily snacks!!

One thing I noticed is, the ones that have about 210 calories show less than 1 g sugar, yet, the bars that are billed as the 'snack bars' have 140 to 150 calories and 5 or 6 g sugar!!! eeeek!! I won't be buying the 'snack' bars again. Ive only bought the South Beach brand. I agree that the list of ingredients are far from
great, but, I do think that personally the meal ones (with the 210 calories) tend to fill me up (lots of fiber and protien) and don't give me a huge sugar high like the snack ones do! But-- I'm always sure to NOT have any whole grain or refined carbs with my dinner, to make up for the bar.

Again, anything, in moderation, especially if it helps you stick to the diet and keeps you from going to the drive thru for a Big Mac or a donut!!!! Good luck!
ThinAgainBeginAgain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 09:01 AM   #7  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

Lean, I'm of two minds on this. On one hand, I agree with Cat and Cottage on this--the ingredients are NOT SBD friendly. It does sound like Dr. A sold out...

In addition, I've recently read that maltitol has been shown to cause a rise in blood sugar, similar to that of real sugar. I've found this to be true, personally.

I think these bars are delicious, especially the Cinnamon Raisin ones. I like the chocolate flavor the least. I use them because my nutritionist wants me eating 110-120g protein every day to help build my metabolism back up and it can be hard to get that on the go. A serving of nuts only has 8g of protein and many more calories than the 150 in the bar. However, I have definitely seen my cravings go up after eating one of these. As long as I battle with them and remember that they aren't real, I've been able to make it through.

I really adore the meal replacement bars. They give you 18g of protein for 210 calories, which is awesome! The "snack bars" are little bars with a granola bottom, a layer of jelly or peanut butter on top, coated in PB or chocolate coating. They are 100 calories and give you 5g of protein. I think the person who was talking about "snack bars" meant the "cereal bars" that you have, Lean. There are also "100 cal bars" which are totally delicious and don't set off my cravings as much. The chocolate delight one (complete with chocolate and white chocolate chips, is a wonderful "dessert." The only bar I stay away from is the Sweet nut Creations. While they are very yummy, I found that they have far too many calories for a small amount of protein.

I agree, though, that eating whole foods is better for you. Hope this helps!
beachgal is offline   Reply With Quote