Old 12-15-2007, 11:45 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 278/see ticker/150

Height: 5'4

Default Kind of apprehensive about a gift I got-massage?

So I got a gift certificate for a massage and I'm apprehensive about a stranger seeing my body, not to mention a body that I'm not even happy looking at. All I can think of is how whomever will do the massage will be judging me. How do I get past these fears and be able to use this certificate? Anyone here comfortable with getting massages?
Smiling_Sara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 12:08 AM   #2  
One life, live it well

S/C/G: 304|ticker|160

Height: 5'6½

Yes and no. I've been to the same gal a few times BUT I'm not comfortable beign totally naked. Everything but my undies come off. I think massage therapists will let you leave on whatever you want to? I'm always under a sheet though and as she works areas of my body, just those areas are uncovered. So when she's working the right glute, only the right glute is uncovered. Eventhough I've given birth twice...with no inhibitions whatsoever about being naked in front of "strangers"...massage is different.
Nori71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 12:24 AM   #3  
Finding My Bliss

S/C/G: Fit & Fat!

Height: Tall & Strong, Baby!

As a massage therapist who also teaches massage I can tell you that any licensed professional massage therapist will treat you with respect and not think twice about your size, stretch marks, pimples on your bum or any other thing you feel embarrassed revealing.

Massage therapists are taught to look at each person and their body as unique and beautiful and deserving of respect.

If you have any questions, please feel free to PM me and ENJOY that wonderful gift you have been given!
SoulBliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 02:14 AM   #4  
I'm going to do it!!!!

S/C/G: 233/233/150

Height: 5'4"

I know the feeling! I recieved one 2 years ago and felt the same. I gave in and went though, and FULLY enjoyed it! It was so worth getting over the fear of a stranger seeing me. The whole time b4 the massage I was in a robe, and once I got into the room, I was left along to undress, get on the table, and cover up. And I was covered the whole time, except for where the therepist was working (as Nori has mentioned). Its worth it though, SO relaxing!!
KiraNichole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 02:32 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 195/see ticker/145

Height: 5'7

Also, depending on the place that it is at you could call and see if you could switch it to maybe a facial or something else. That way you can fully enjoy what you are getting.
Rhighlan86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 08:39 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 153/130/135

Height: 5'7"

You are one lucky woman to have someone in her life who is such a thoughtful gift-giver! As a birthday gift to my boyfriend, I purchased two hour-long massages: one for him, and one for me, so that we may spend the afternoon together, having lunch at a nice little joint, etc. Like the others have mentioned, I am confident you will have a soothing experience.
One thing to consider if you're a bit new to the thought of a new pair of hands on your body -- think about whether you might prefer a male or a female therapist. As these folks are complete professionals, realize that issues of sexuality, etc. simply don't enter their minds, as they are focused on the composition of the human form, as SoulBliss said. Still, you may secretly be wondering about this aspect. (I was!) My first ever massage was given by a man and his hands left me like Jell-o...I was hooked. My advice for a first-timer would be to go with the sex you're most comfortable with initially, then keep an open mind by trying different therapists to seek out the person with the technique and pressure you like best.
Happy Relaxing!

Last edited by fatburner77; 12-16-2007 at 08:40 AM.
fatburner77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 10:25 AM   #7  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I've received a massage quite a few times. Last time I was nearly 300 lbs and times before that I was over 300 lbs. I really didn't think about it because they aren't really looking at your body, they are trying to make your body feel good. Maybe you can talk to place and tell them about your apprehension.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 10:41 AM   #8  
Because I deserve it!

S/C/G: 315.4/311/165

Height: 5'11"

I am glad to see this thread. I received a gift certificate for a massage back in March and have yet to use it. Lately I have been thinking about just saying "what the heck" and going and doing it. I just hate the idea of someone kneading my fat though!
Xena2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 10:43 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

I can understand your aprehension....as it is something you've never done before. I've had massages done by different people - and one thing I do know is that they are very respectful and non-judgemental. It feels SO good. It would probably help if it were a female therapist.

My best friend is a massage therapist and teaches it at a community college. I do know that there are certain techniques for keeping a person covered correctly and ways so that the person getting the massage doesn't feel overly exposed.

I think you'll love it.
Beverlyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 09:01 PM   #10  
Jen

Height: 5'3"

I'm a nurse and have seen so many naked people in the course of my work that I no longer think about it or judge people for any part of their anatomy. Massage therapists are no different, they are professionals. Their goal is to give you a great massage and get your business back!
Jen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 09:55 PM   #11  
M.S. + living balance

S/C/G: 325/200's/199

Height: 5'10"

I got a hot stone massage this past summer - my first time in a spa. It was a buddy thing for me and a friend and I wasnt so keen either. I wasnt completly naked and the room was very dimly lit. I was scared but it was soooooo relaxing. I really encourage you to push past the uneasiness -- I'm glad I did (and I was pretty big .. I just decided in my mind that 'I am worth this' and enjoyed it!)

When you make the appointment maybe ask about lighting / how much clothing you can leave on etc. The spa I went to was amazingly gracious even though I felt SO out of place.

Last edited by valpal23; 12-16-2007 at 10:12 PM.
valpal23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 09:52 PM   #12  

Hi, I hope you can get the courage up to take a massage ~ every body is worthy of the attention.

Plus, massage therapists are trained to see past the appearance of each body. Because they have to work on the muscles & shape of every body that comes through their doors, it doesn't really matter to them how you appear

Sadly, anyone can have issues they project on others, but let's not deny ourselves pleasure in fear of avoiding those sad individuals
Lanvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 10:02 PM   #13  
Weight Loss; Control Gain

S/C/G: ?/?/130

Height: 4'11"

i close my eyes when i am getting a massage, i don't look at my body in anyway, and that sprt of makes me forget how i look,
think of it as a spiritual time
vixjean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 12:11 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 278/see ticker/150

Height: 5'4

thanks for all the advice on this guys. makes me feel a little better, still kinda about the whole thing, but I do feel better about it all.
Smiling_Sara is offline   Reply With Quote