Old 12-02-2007, 11:06 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 212/sig/125

Height: 5'1

Default Ready to give in

Ok.. I am so frustrated and so down that I am just ready to give up. I am self defeating. I defeat myself by allowing temptation to overcome my judgement. I used to be 212. I got down to 152, and I am now at 170. It's disgusting. I can't even go a day on Induction anymore, and no matter how sure that I will finish my weight loss "this time" I never do. I have motivation but it escapes me not long after. Does anyone have any advice as to how I can maintain that motivation without binging on carbs and sugar? I feel so gross and so unhappy anymore.. the clothes I was finally able to fit in are too small on me again
Rikku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 11:35 PM   #2  
Mrs Piggys Fat Cousin

S/C/G: 225/210/140

Height: 5ft

oh man sweety boy do i feel your pain. its just so hard the only thing i can tell you is dont give up, you can do it.
some1sospecial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 11:57 PM   #3  
is baaaad to the bone!

S/C/G: 145!

Height: 5'8"

Rikku - if you are having trouble with the lifestyle/diet you chose...it may not be the one for you. I know about being a carb addict as I am one...I know I can lose a lot of weight living without carbs...but I really don't want to...so I am doing my best by living with carbs and focusing on a calorie in vs. calorie out diet....and making the best choices that are stable across the board...lower calories, lower fat, higher fiber, lower sodium. I don't deny myself the bread (sorry to bring it up, i know!) that I want, or the chocolate I crave...I just have it in smaller portions.
SunshineRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 12:46 AM   #4  
Hello Friend

S/C/G: 230/205/140

Height: 5'7"

Hi Rikku, I realy understand how you feel, Maybe its time for a change. If you can't go back to induction try something else, the all or nothing approch doesn't always work for everyone. You have to find your own ballance ( easier said than done, I know) Just Hang in there and don't beat yourself up if you're not perfect.
Puncezilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 05:35 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 290/170/170

Having been where you are more times than I care to admit, I agree with Gatoramanda. Its sounds like your current low-carb lifestyle is unsustainable for you. You needs to find what suits you and a lifestyle you can maintain for life.

Kitty
KforKitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 02:10 PM   #6  
aud
lc lifestyle

S/C/G: 254/234/139

Height: 5'6"

Echoing that I have soooo been there, rikku.

Found that concentrating on how GREAT I feel on LC . . . PLUS find that when I get the Sugar Binge Urge if I just SLOW DOWN (breathe) - & make myself drink a large cup of water - (telling myself that if I STILL want to pig out afterwards, I CAN) that by the time the waters drank - sanity returns & the binge urge passes.

For me, there's just something about doing something POSITIVE, like drinking water (have also used climbing steps as a strategy) b4 giving in, has made a difference for me this time around.

Congrats on your awesome progress so far and hope whatever you end up doing works for ya - please let us know!
aud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 05:37 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 212/sig/125

Thank you so much everyone for your support. I really want to continue with the low carb lifestyle because that is what works best for me. I'm down a pound and a half.. slowly I will get to my goal and I know all of the stress and the heartache will be well worth it in the end..
Rikku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 02:00 AM   #8  
ShellieTerese

S/C/G: 274/see ticker/125

Height: 5'3"

Rikku, have you ever watched a baby learn to walk? She falls on her butt a LOT until she finally gets it right, and then she STILL falls on her butt a lot for quite a while longer. The point is, she gets right back up and keeps trying until she gets it right. It usually doesn't even occur to her to cry when she falls down, unless some adult makes a fuss. Now, humans are programmed to learn to walk no matter what. We aren 't programmed to learn to eat right, so it isn't automatic. We gotta try, and keep trying. Look at falling down as just another milestone on the road to success. You're not defeated until you give up.
Bouncing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 03:28 PM   #9  
beachbum

Hi Rikku

I couldn't have said it better than Shellie explained it to you.

Did you every try the CAD [carbohydrates addicts diet] you eat no grain carbs for breakfast & lunch and than at dinner you have a reward meal with grain carbs. along with your veggies & protein. You can still post here,for support & motivation.

NEVER GIVE UP.I found for a while that low carbing wasn't for me and I went on a calories counting ,now right after the holiday I will come back to medium carb counting. I won't go back to the induction anymore either,I think the carb are too low. I find that I break my stalls when I eat an average of 67 carbs. per day. But you have to find your own balance as every one is different.

Hope that helps

Hugs BB
beach bum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 12:34 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 192/192/135

Height: 5'4

I'm a lo carber, but not Atkins, it's just too restrictive. I jam in lots of veggies. I just cut the sugar and flour etc. I'm satisfied and not usually bothered by cravings and if I am I just have a low carb snack.

I have a whole new food pallet, I love a veggie, or even half a grapefruit. At times those foods are as seductive as chocolate used to be.
I never try to use artificial sweeteners and have found that drinking diet coke really slows my weight loss. (must be the sodium and Nutrasweet).

I don't try to eat foods that "pretend" too be carbs like lo-carb anything (tortillas, bread, crackers). I think eating artificial sugar just makes you want more and I feel like low carb is a lifestyle and if you quit bread just quit, I never crave it because I tell myself, I don't eat that junk anymore.

Of course the weight isn't falling off like it does for some with Atkins, but I gained it at the rate of a pound or two a week not 6 pounds a week.

It's good to hear you're getting back on track, just remember to tell yourself "I don't eat that junk" when you have a craving and go eat something else. (simple yes, but it's also effective )
surrealchereal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 08:24 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 222.8/213.8/145

Rikku, I understand that you are going through a difficult time. But, believe it or not, you're an inspiration to me!

We are the same height and started at almost exactly the same weight...although you are a lot farther along with your weight loss than I am. It is coming off soo slow for me, but I know that low carbing it is the right choice. Have you looked into Suzanne Somer's diet plan? That is what I'm using and I find it to be a lot less restrictive then Atkins. Just my personal experience...I only lasted 1 month on Atkins and I am coming up on 7 months for Somersizing. Don't take my small weight loss as a representation of the eating plan, it's actually just a reflection of my too often cheats!

Good luck to you. I know you will succeed!
zoerba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 08:25 PM   #12  
Of course you are

S/C/G: 195/185/125

Height: 5'4"

Hi rikku

I just started Atkins 4 days ago. I haven't done it in about 3 years because I love carbs so much, but I need to get this weight off. I'm getting myself through this by telling myself that I'm not being deprived (the ole theory you always want what you can't have). We went to a friends' house on New Years Eve and they had a homemade chocolate cake. I chose not to have any (or any of the chips) because my birthday is 3 weeks away and I do plan to have a piece of cake then. I think by allowing myself a portion of something I love on a special occasion may just be the thing to get me through.

There are also alot of fab substitutes for the stuff we love - like thick strawberry soothies instead of dumb old ice cream, or a pizza topping casserole instead of that dumb old pizza delivery!!

Just hang in there ... this is a life changing thing. It takes time. We all mess up but at least we can start over and fix it.
Squidward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 10:09 AM   #13  

Hi all. Hope I don't confuse you guys as I'm another Jersey Girl.

I do low carb. Not Atkins. Not induction. Long story short, I have found a way that low carb works for me and I still lose weight. A) when you're hungry, reach for protein and/or protein and fat. This for me often turns off any cravings. B) if you have carbs, have them in the morning and only preworkout. C) allow your carbs to come solely from fruits and vegetables. D) keep carbs at or below 25% of your diet (magic # for me =20%) E) eat enough calories (low calorie will ruin your metabolism.

I'm rarely tempted by carbs, though I give myself some days off, such as holidays each year.

My 2c.

ETA: I do not believe that carbs are bad, just that some people are sensitive to them, particularly people when they are overweight and it has created insulin resistance in their bodies. I think you can have carbs, at a moderate level--when you're at goal and maintaining, just not before.

Last edited by JerseyGirl69; 01-03-2008 at 10:10 AM.
JerseyGirl69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 12:17 PM   #14  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

Greetings from the other JerseyGyrl

I do low carb...Atkins (nearly 4 years now). I too, have found a way that low carb works for me...following Dr. Atkins plan the way it was written. What I mean by that is, I eat real foods, not processed foods or "low carb products" (i.e. lc tortilla's, breads, Dreamfields pasta, etc. etc. etc.)

Unless someone has taken the time to read Dr. Atkins New Diet Revolution...they tend to have a distorted opinion of the Atkins lifestyle. They believe we Atkins followers live on lbs. of red meat, bacon, cheese & butter. This is very untrue! If you look at the Induction rules,from day 1 on Atkins, it states "Eat no more than 20 grams of carbohydrate...at least 12-15 grams of which must come in the form of salad greens and other vegetables (see the acceptable foods list). Many people also believe food quanities are unlimited...another total misconception of this lifestyle. The book clearly says "up to 1 Tablespoon" or "up to 3 ozs." When referring to meats, it states the word "Liberally"...which means until satisfied. Processed foods such as bacon (unless you can find a variety that is nitrate & sugar-free) are strongly discouraged

When you progress to OWL (Ongoing Weight Loss), you are instructed to add more vegetables, healthy varieties of nuts & seeds and fruits. In the Pre-Maintenance phase of the Atkins plan, starchy veggies (carrots, peas, even a small amount of white potatoes) are added, as well as legumes & grains, such as brown rice, old fashioned oatmeal & semolina pasta. This will prepare you for lifetime maintenance of healthy eating!

Contrary to popular misconception, Atkins is low carb...it is NOT no carb! Carbs are healthy for us...however, they must be the right carbs...not the bad ones that are in white bread, white potatoes, white rice, most pasta, sugar & white flour.

I hear so many people saying "oh, I tried that diet and it doesn't work...or it made me sick" When I ask, what were you eating and they reply "lots of meat, eggs & cheese", I don't wonder why it hasn't worked or why they're sick!

Atkins, when done correctly, is very healthy. To do that, you MUST read the book and follow it the way it was written. Don't rely on hearsay...READ THE BOOK!! I can't stress this enough.

It works!! I'm living proof!!

All the best to you!!!

Last edited by JerseyGyrl; 01-03-2008 at 11:09 PM.
JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 10:51 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 203/157/125

Height: 5'4"

I did the exact same thing you are doing now three years ago. I took 2 years off low carb all together because I just got so tired of restarting with Induction. I gained all my weight back, too. Then last year I found out that constantly restarting Induction is a problem in and of itself. You need to restart at some other point than the strict 20 grams of carb Induction allows. You also have to accept that you cannot eat the way you used to eat

Try starting with 30-35 grams of carbs per day. This is about 3-4 cups of green vegetables plus two salads of at least 5 cups of spinach and lettuce a day. Then add your protein and oils. This plan really work for me while loosing weight this time.
sylvia78 is offline   Reply With Quote