Old 12-12-2007, 12:16 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 330/see ticker/180

Height: 5'5

Default Totally OT: My Resume. Really HELP!

Hey all!

I know this isn't diet related BUT it is related to my new lease on life since losing some of this weight.

I need to get another job. I can't handle the stress of the one I am at any more. The job I am applying for will put me back in my field and motivate me to get my Master's degree. I need this!

Anywho, I did my resume. I have not sent them an application or resume...so when I arrive for the interview, the first tim ethey view my resume will be upon my arrival. Should I still list "Reference Available Upon Request" or should I bring them. Also, should I have the numbers of former employers (which I know cant be listed on a resume). Any help will be appreciated. Also, Ihave to find some copy shop to make copies of the resume on resume paper....opps!! Any suggestions to make my resume pop other than the regular stuff. Thanks for any help!!!!!

Last edited by RoyalAthena; 12-12-2007 at 12:26 AM.
RoyalAthena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 12:30 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 330/ticker/192

Height: 5'10

No need to say references available upon request. It's understood.

Yes, sure, bring a list of references with you, but don't give them unless asked.

Don't put employer phone numbers on the resume. No need. THey'll get the numbers some other way. Do have them handy for when they ask you to fill out the application, or when they request the numbers.

Don't spend a lot of money making copies to have on hand beyond the meeting you're having. Most want the resume emailed, and the extra copies you bring to an interview don't need to be on the resume paper anymore. Just a decent quality white paper is fine. It's understood they're extra copies.

Make sure the resume isn't too crammed with words--there should be some white space on the page. Have someone else proofread it. I can't tell you how many times I found a mistake in my resume after circulating it around thinking it was perfect. Fresh eyes help to spot the typos.

Good luck! You look wonderful, and that can't hurt!
BattleAx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 08:31 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 261/252/145

Height: 5'4"

Don't have anything to add to Battleax's good advice. But best of luck to you at your interview!
Schmoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 08:51 AM   #4  
No description available.

I don't know about all the technicalities of resume stuff (I just emailed my last one), but Battle sure sounds like she knows what she's talking about!

Just be yourself! Let your enthusiasm shine through. Good luck!
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 01:40 PM   #5  

Height: 5'5"

I, too, think Battle's advice was great. I put contact info for former employers directly on my references sheet, though. Anything to save your future employer a few minutes and think complimentary things about your efficiency is a good thing. I also put all of the copies of my resume on good paper. In fact, when I know that my resume and supporting documents will be copied for a hiring committee, I try to arrange with the HR person to make those copies myself, as the quality of my documents is another way that I can stand out to those making the decision. I have been on a number of hiring committees, and it's often just another duty for those people making the hiring decisions. As a result, many hiring decisions are far more random than they should be. Anything that I can do to stand out to these people - I will do.

The other thing I always do is bring supporting documentation to my interviews. For example, if grant writing is a skill that is required, I bring a detailed track record with me that includes a summary. I also try and bring something that is not a paper document. For example, I coordinated a museum display on the history of sheepherders, and was presented with a handmade sheep wagon replica upon the conclusion of the display. If the job requires coordinating different nonprofit agencies, I bring that. It gets attention, and people remember me.

A final thought about the resume itself. Instead of listing boring descriptions of positions that you had, I would recommend listing key accomplishments. For example, instead of saying that I have written grants for eight years, I say that I have secured tens of millions of dollars in grant funding for organizations. The more specific you can be, the more credible your claims will be.

One final bit of advice. If you can, call the person who is vacating the position and invite her for lunch. Then, pump her for as much information as you can - about the position, about the company, about the people you will work with, and about the preferences of the hiring committee. Tell her you don't want her to reveal any confidential information, but you want to be as prepared as possible.

Hope you find this helpful. My husband's job requires a lot of moving, so I have switched jobs more often than I ever thought I would. As a result, I have had to find creative ways to make up for a job history that reflects too many job changes.

Good luck! Let us know how it goes!
LaurieDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 01:58 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 330/see ticker/180

Height: 5'5

Thank you everyone!!!! I have been in the same job for five years. Sometimes, I doubt myself and wonder if there is anythiung else out there for me. But my current job is not best suited for me. Anywho, I did finish my resume and took all your suggestions. I am excited! Now, that the resume is complete I am going to start emailing it and probably as time goes by...try to make it look better. It is kinda limited. I am going to start applying for State and Fed jobs for the pay, benefits and etc.

My interview: I left. Yep, I left. I was so out of my element. The place was NOT professional. I went to interview for the Director of a DayCare. I thought it was the perfect job for me...I know I am qualified and it would get me back into my field BUT.....

This is how it went: Well, one of the employees let me into the daycare. I informed him I was there for my 1 o'clock with Jennifer and he said just a moment. She came to the reception area and told me to fill out an application. No introduction....No "hi, Im Jennifer, we talked on the phone." No " Nice to meet you" ......She didnt come from around the reception area (which is set up like a whole seperate room. She did NOT bring the application to me, greet me and shake hands and then instruct me on where to sit. Not like she was enthused to see me. In fact, I was able to sit and fill out the application (becasue I seated myself) because I saw that one of the employees was taking some of the children somewhere, so I took that seat. I don't know. Maybe it was me BUT I didnt feel wanted. It wasnt professional or personable. I know I was smiling and was pleasant but I dont feel like I got the same in return.

I didnt have that happy-nervous feeling. I got a feeling of dread. That was when I realized I couldnt do it. I went to the reception area and asked for her and told her I couldnt do the interview. I said I may call and reschedule but we both knew....

Truly, I work at a Bank right now and although I am not extremely happy....the pay is decent and I like the staff I supervise. I dont want to jump out of something bad into something worse! So, I will just put out several resumes and wait. I also have decided to start more volunteer work!

I am going to save the resume post to my favorites because you all gave me great suggestions. Thanks so much!!!
RoyalAthena is offline   Reply With Quote