Old 12-11-2007, 11:17 AM   #1  

Default 80% Diet, 10% Exercise, 10% Genetics

Hello All,
I recently read in a few different magazines and health-related books that when it comes to weight loss 80% is about diet, 10% is exercise, and 10% is genetics. What are your thoughts on this?

I'm in this weird new place, I'm not at my goal, but I've lost a good amount of weight. It feels good and I'm happy about it, but I DO NOT want to get stuck here. I also haven't lost in the past few weeks. I'm trying not to worry. I just want to make sure I'm focusing on the right things to push through to my goal weight. A few things have changed in terms of me working out also. Over the summer I started running and continued that through the fall, which helped me drop a lot of weight. But I live in NYC and don't feel comfortable running when it's dark, mainly for safety reasons. I workout in the morning, so that I am sure to get it in, but there's no gyms nearby that open early enough. I'm working out at home with DVD's and weights. But I want to make sure I'm pushing myself hard enough. I still haven't done any workout to date that pushes me as hard as running. I may eventually invest in a treadmill, but my place is small, so I'm not sure how feasible that is. I basically want to do all I can to make sure I reach my goal. My diet mainly consists of whole foods and calorie counting, but I'm willing to make any adjustments as needed.

Any help and thoughts are greatly appreciated!
lola06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 11:29 AM   #2  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Regarding percentages of diet/exercise, I would say purely it is mostly diet BUT I know that if I'm exercising, I tend to eat better.

I was walking a lot more in the summer because it was warmer and I could walk before and after work. Now I'm only walking in the morning but I do some exercise at night. I basically work out at home when its dark.

If you are concerned about your weight workout not working you hard enough, why not do intervals or heavier weights?
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 11:48 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 292/144/145

Height: 5'10"

Obviously it's going to vary for everyone, but I think my percentages would be closer to 60% diet, 30% exercise and 10% genetics. Exercise is just a huge factor for me; my weight loss is really tied to how much I've exercised. Three times a week at the gym is really maintenance for me; 5-6 times and the weight falls off.

You might think about a rowing machine instead of a treadmill if you've got space limitations. Much smaller and you can get an upper and lower body workout. The one at my gym kicks my butt in a way that the treadmill and elliptical never have.
Robin41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 04:39 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 283/253/190

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin41 View Post
Obviously it's going to vary for everyone, but I think my percentages would be closer to 60% diet, 30% exercise and 10% genetics. Exercise is just a huge factor for me; my weight loss is really tied to how much I've exercised. Three times a week at the gym is really maintenance for me; 5-6 times and the weight falls off.

You might think about a rowing machine instead of a treadmill if you've got space limitations. Much smaller and you can get an upper and lower body workout. The one at my gym kicks my butt in a way that the treadmill and elliptical never have.
I agree with this!

For me exercise, especially weight training, is the key to weightloss.

And the rower is awesome!
Lifeguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 07:01 PM   #5  
I'm a Loser ;)

S/C/G: SCG: 255/see ticker/160

Height: 5'9"

I see a lot of running groups around in my city. They get groups of 5 or more so that it's safer. Are there any groups in your area through a community centre?
tamaralynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 07:40 PM   #6  
is recommitted

S/C/G: 338/see sig/150

I'd say exercise has a big part in my weight loss too. I haven't changed my diet much, but I did start going lax on my exercising. I went from losing 17lbs in the first month, to losing about 10lbs the next month and then to a pound here and there... I'm just trying to get back on track with the exercise and hope those numbers start dropping again! The first month, I did about 45m to 1hr of intense exercise 4 times a week and it worked really well for me.
rakel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 07:42 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 257/219/145

Exercise is also the biggie for me. I have noticed in the past that every time I get off track, it is exercise that goes first. I slack there, th eating soon follows. As far as what actually brings the results, I believe it is the combo of eating and exercise. It's basic math, you have to burn more than you take in. If you are not exercising you can't eat as much because you aren't burning as much...for me, I like to burn a lot because I feel so deprived on low calorie days.
Purplefirefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 07:55 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 330/ticker/192

Height: 5'10

I wonder how they came up with the percentages. I have no doubt that they all play a part, but I'm not so sure about the split. And, even if the split is accurate, to what percentage of the population does it apply? I would think that we see a lot of the exceptions here on the board. A lot of us have to work harder than the general population.

For me, exercise is more than 10%.

Genetics, they most definitely play a part and that's another factor making it harder for a lot of us. Not impossible, but harder. And, if I have to deduct the 10% for crappy genes, I'd still be happy to lose 90% of the weight the charts say I should lose to be in a normal weight range.
BattleAx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 08:04 PM   #9  
Have you had The Surgery?

S/C/G: 510/225.4/199

Height: 69.09"

Another vote for the exercise. When asked, I attribute most of the weight loss to the treadmill, and walking. From what I have read, weight loss is all about calories in/calories out. Eating healthy is fine. Pig out on those veggies, but if you don't burn more then you consume, you will gain.

I will agree with the genetics thing. Not necessarily as a hereditary thing, more of a environmental thing. All of my family was heavy, accept for the weird brother who had a eating disorder (he was skinny, he watched what he ate, and lifted weights, and was on HS wrestling team). We were never taught proper dieting skills - which I have taught myself. Shopping used to be easy, grab the yummy stuff. Stock up on sodas. Get some snacks. Go to Mickey Dees for dinner. Now its all about what the nutritional label says.
FresnoBeeDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 08:07 PM   #10  
Kelly M

S/C/G: 246/147/150 WW Goal

Height: 5'5"

Exercise is a factor for me as well. As for your diet, I'm wondering if you've continued to decrease your caloric intake as your weight has decreased? I do WW, and the points (which sort of correspond to calories) are partially based on your weight....as your weight goes down, your points go down as well. Just a thought, but maybe you need to decrease or change up your calories a bit. Good luck!
boaterswife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 10:06 PM   #11  
One life, live it well

S/C/G: 304|ticker|160

Height: 5'6½

Obviously it is mostly the amount of calories in...but exercise is a big factor for me also. Like Nelie said, when I'm exercising I make good food choices. And I feel better in every way.

Last edited by Nori71; 12-11-2007 at 10:07 PM.
Nori71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 07:44 AM   #12  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

I've always heard that it's 80% diet, 20% exercise. For me, that's pretty close, but maybe more like 70/30. But there's no way to know for sure. I also agree that exercise is more then the physical. Although the physical is pretty darn good. It's DEFINITELY a frame of mind as well. The bottom line is, for me, I could exercise all day long, but if I don't keep me eating firmly in check, I will actually gain weight.

I like the idea of the rowing machine and heavier weights and looking for some fellow minded runners. And congrats on the weight loss and the mindset to keep up with it and wanting to look for alternatives while running solo is not an option right now.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 11:10 AM   #13  
Used to be Archy

S/C/G: 220/171/145

Height: 5'4

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinrobin View Post
The bottom line is, for me, I could exercise all day long, but if I don't keep me eating firmly in check, I will actually gain weight.
You have no idea how long it took for me to get this through my head! Years and years!

I am a good example of this. As an archaeologist, especially on survey I would spend 8-9 hours walking through muddy fields (not like a stroll through the park, mind you) and I was baffled as to why I still weighed 220 pounds. Well, I would also cram in 3,000 or more calories every day. That's why.

Once I got rid of all of the fast food and started counting calories, with less exercise I was able to lose weight. Who knew?!?
Eves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 11:19 AM   #14  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Archy,

It is a pretty well known phenomenon that people will increase their food intake along with their exercise increase if they don't monitor their food intake.

I think exercise is awesome and I do it every day but I know it really only burns a minimal amount of calories compared to what I don't put in my mouth. I can easily create a 1000 calorie deficit through food but it'd take intense exercise for hours to create the same calorie deficit.

Weights are great because it increases your muscle and helps you burn more calories but still it is only a slight increase but that increase adds up over time.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 12:24 PM   #15  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by archy View Post
You have no idea how long it took for me to get this through my head! Years and years!

I am a good example of this. As an archaeologist, especially on survey I would spend 8-9 hours walking through muddy fields (not like a stroll through the park, mind you) and I was baffled as to why I still weighed 220 pounds. Well, I would also cram in 3,000 or more calories every day. That's why.

Once I got rid of all of the fast food and started counting calories, with less exercise I was able to lose weight. Who knew?!?
I think many, many people, certainly not all, think that if they add in exercise and activity to their day, that it frees them up to eat more. It's just not the case .
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote