Old 12-08-2007, 09:55 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 257/219/145

Default Restaraunt Tip

There's this great weight loss program on the radio Saturday mornings here, sponsored by LA Weight Loss, and today a lady gave a great tip I thought others might find useful, I definitely will be doing this:

If you are at a restaraunt with limited healthy choices, order a side salad and a plain chicken breast. Cut the chicken up over the salad!

So simple, yet I never would have thought of that. You should be able to get a simple side salad anywhere, and most places would bring just a breast if you asked for it. I always limit myself to what's on the menu, but I realize now asking for just a plain breast is a real, off-menu option!

Does anyone else have any tips for eating out?
Purplefirefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 01:32 PM   #2  
Living and Learning

S/C/G: 304/see ticker/140

Height: 5' 3"

Oooooooh, Good tip!

Duh! I have never thought of that. I tend to panic in that sort of situation (nothing healthy on the menu) by either eating something bad for me or skipping the meal and then starve until I get home and pig out because I have waited so long to eat.
gumboot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 02:24 PM   #3  
Method to the Madness

S/C/G: 381.4/in the middle/160

Height: 5'9

What I normally do is similar... I try and find a dish that's as close to plain chicken with veggies as I can and then ask for no sauce/cheese/etc. on the chicken and no oil or butter on the veggies...

When ordering salads I order whatever the healthiest sounding one is and ask for no cheese (or get it on the side so I can choose how much to put on), no nuts (or, again, on the side), no bacon, etc. Then I use salsa for dressing if they have it. If not, I'll use lemon or use the least amount of a vinaigrette possible.
LindseyLouWho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 02:34 PM   #4  
Maintaining :)

S/C/G: 215/117/120

Height: 5'4"

Being a vegetarian, it is common for me to ask for an "off menu" option. Some restaurants have absolutely no veggie options at all.
My favorites to ask for: stir-fried veggies, and pasta with marinara sauce and steamed veggies.

I have never had a restaurant that wouldn't prepare a custom order if I asked.

I have also been in several restaurants where, when I mentioned that we were vegetarians, they produced a complete vegetarian menu in place of the regular menu.

I always tip well when they prepare a custom meal to let them know that the extra effort is appreciated

Last edited by CountingDown; 12-08-2007 at 02:35 PM.
CountingDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 04:51 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 257/219/145

Counting, I would have never guessed they would make an entire meal just for me! I just never thought I could do that, glad I know now.
Purplefirefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 10:42 PM   #6  
beautiful on the inside:P

S/C/G: 119 (262) /107 (235) /60 (132)

Height: 5'6''

I also would never have thought that a restaurant would have made a dish just for me. It's all about asking, really, isn't it? After all if I had an allergy to something I sure would ask. Huh! I really need to start thinking of my own health needs as that--needs. And not taking the restaurants menu as an opportunity to go crazy Good thread!
kasmin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 11:11 PM   #7  
Hi From Canada, eh?

S/C/G: check the ticker :)

Height: 5'8

I like to pull the old "gosh I'm sorry to be a pain, but I'm allergic to absolutely everything!!! could I just get a plain grilled chicken breast on a big salad and a vinegrette dressing?" ehhehehe suckers! heheheheh they're so afraid I'll drop from an allergic reaction they're so careful I always tip handsomely for their troubles!
Trazey34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 11:25 PM   #8  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Also, never be afraid to send back a dish that is made poorly or not as you requested. Even if it just doesn't taste as good as it sounded, if you're polite and ask for something else, most restaurants will be happy to accomodate you. The food costs are the smallest cost of operating the restaurant, so it really isn't much trouble to them at all, and they want you to be happy so you will come back, and hopefully bring your friends. My husband and I have actually had restaurant owners come to our table and thank us for sending something back, and allowing them to make us happy. One restaurant owner practically gushed, telling us that most people will not complain, and then just won't come back, and those that DO complain, often are nasty about it.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 12:04 AM   #9  

That's a good idea for some but if I have to eat a plain chicken breast and a plain salad I'm not going out to dinner. I can have that at home for cheap.
kimmieone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 01:15 AM   #10  
is recommitted

S/C/G: 338/see sig/150

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimmieone View Post
That's a good idea for some but if I have to eat a plain chicken breast and a plain salad I'm not going out to dinner. I can have that at home for cheap.
LOL, I was thinking about that too. Gosh, I am so cheap... I never get salads for that reason. I just don't see paying $12+ for a salad at a restaurant. I always say to myself, "if I go out, I'll just get a salad" and never do because... well also, a lot of times restaurants try to reinvent the salad, which in most cases is cool and all, but they often add a lot of things that I would just pick out (like blue cheese crumbles). Maybe just to give it a bigger price, I don't know. It's just amazing to me how they sneak so many calories into a salad. About as funny as people "getting their veggies" with a broccoli and cheese casserole, lol.
rakel is offline   Reply With Quote