Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 12-03-2007, 07:01 PM   #1  
Happy Holidays!

S/C/G: 174/154/135

Height: 5' 2 1/4"

Question Who does this besides me???!

So after already eating breakfast and lunch, when I got back from class I told myself I'd wait until dinner because I want to fill up on the good meal I was gonna cook instead of crap. About a half hour later I was eating all kinds of junk, stuff that my boyfriend just bought yesterday(this is why I hate it when he goes shopping)! I totally blew my meal plans for the day and now I plan on eating supper anyway even though I am not hungry. It is close to that time of the month, but I want to be able to have more control over my mind and eating habits than this!

Please let me know if you do this and if it makes you feel as bad as I do right now! Also, if you are good at not doing this, how can you make yourself stop????

HELP!
short1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 07:24 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 156/150/130

Height: 5'4

I have a horrible time trying to control myself at my time of the month. Actually, I have not been able to in a very long time. This month, I just forgave myself for the lack of control. That actually seemed to help. As soon as the fatigue, moodiness, and cravings went away, I got right back on track w/ WW. Don't beat yourself up too badly, just get back on track asap and you'll do just fine!! Good luck!!

Jenny )
winning the war is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 07:44 PM   #3  

S/C/G: Slow but steady

Height: 5' 11"

Well i am just glad i am not the only one who has a hard time keeping it together during TOM. Geeze. I have been throwing myself a pitty party for the past three days. So know that you are not alone.

As for advice on blowing it today. I ALWAYS make sure i have an afternoon snack. I may not be hungry, but if i dont snack i will binge later on bad snacks or dinner. So i guess my advice is, instead of eating all the junk boyfriend bought, you should listen to your body at the first signs of hunger and had a string cheese or yogurt instead, that way you can stay in control. My DH does the same thing though...he came home with pound cake and cool whip yesterday...he didnt know why i was mad..."but honey, it has light cool whip"...lol, so that made it "healthy" in his mind.
Get n healthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 07:53 PM   #4  

I'm feeling your pain as we speak -- I don't even bother keeping track on the calendar any more, I just know the week before because I'm out of control -- never hungry, just always grazing. I'm still trying to figure out how to control this -- three good weeks a month isn't going to cut it!! It's like all I think about is what's behind the cabinet doors -- kind of like "deal or no deal" . We don't even have "junk" in the house any more (kids don't need it either) but I can eat a box of crackers, two bags of microwave popcorn, etc. -- it just doesn't matter!!

Good luck and go to bed early -- we can't eat when we sleep!!!

Last edited by shelby897; 12-03-2007 at 07:57 PM.
shelby897 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 08:27 PM   #5  

S/C/G: Slow but steady

Height: 5' 11"

Quote Shelby: "Good luck and go to bed early -- we can't eat when we sleep!!! "-

Oh my gosh, i love it. I was just telling DH we have to go to bed early because it is TOM and i am not going to eat anything else tonight, after basiaclly grazing all day. So Shelby, you hit the nail on the head. The idea of grazing on healthy food, is perfect for what i do all day during TOM.
Get n healthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 11:52 PM   #6  
Happy Holidays!

I feel so relieved right now to know that it is hard to stay in control when you are dealing with TOM! If anyone ever finds a great way to deal with this then let me know! I will do the same....right now I am drinking some tea and then I am taking your advice and going to bed!

Thanks for the support!
Old 12-04-2007, 02:50 AM   #7  
Visualizing the Goal

Height: 5'4"

GUM!

I told my husband the other day that someone needs to invent chocolate flavored gum. He looked at me like I was mad, but I think it would help.

Seriously, though, I chew gum when I get the munchies and it does help. Stock up on a few different flavors of sugar-free gum so you have options. Or fill up your belly with water or Crystal Light or tea.

Hope that helps!

Kara
tomandkara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 12:01 PM   #8  
The Mabbinator

(1) Have a serious discussion with your boyfriend. Tell him he needn't stop eating what he likes, just hide it from you. My mother is good at hiding away snacks I'll be tempted to binge on. Or have him focus on the snacks he likes that you don't (assuming there are any).

(2) Plan to have a bad day. Assuming that it is just once in a while like TOM, go ahead and plan to binge. It's not going to ruin you as long as you don't allow it to be a habit. Last week I had my wisdom teeth removed. I was bored and crazy from being cooped up in the house for days and I wanted to eat. So I just allowed myself to have whatever I wanted. I ended up with four bowls of ice cream. And I'm still losing weight. It's your habits, not your occasional bad days that will determine how you lose.
queennmab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 12:38 PM   #9  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

queennmab, I think it's the "don't let it become a habit" part that a lot of folks have trouble with. That's why I never plan a binge myself. But some can probably do that (obviously you do!).

Especially in the beginning of weight loss, it's important to stay on plan as much as possible. Bingeing on "trigger foods" can lead to more of same... just a caution!

Jay

Last edited by JayEll; 12-05-2007 at 12:39 PM.
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 12:41 PM   #10  
Nancy

S/C/G: 353/T/168

I always eat a snack on my way home from work/gym before I walk into the house so that I don't arrive hungry. Maybe you need to plan a snack for that time of day?
NotTheCheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 02:42 PM   #11  
Observer of Phenomena

Height: 5' 4"

I agree, it sounds like you need to plan for a snack when you get home. If you acknowledge this need, it won't feel like a loss of control and throw you off plan. I'd never make it all the way from lunch to dinner without a snack! The other thing to consider is, are you eating enough, and well enough, at breakfast and lunch? Or are you 'hoarding' calories for dinner time?

Anyway, don't feel bad - it doesn't help! Channel that energy into your planning, and figure out what works for you.

Last edited by 3Beans; 12-05-2007 at 02:46 PM.
3Beans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 11:15 PM   #12  
Happy Holidays!

So many great ideas, so little motivation. I am going to try planning a snack and see if that helps. I also think I am "hoarding" the majority of what I eat at supper time. I guess I always feel the less I eat the less I weigh! So I try not to eat too much...I'm working to change that thinking...don't want to end up with a worse problem with food than I already have...LOL

Thanks all for your suggestions! I really appreciate any ideas. Tomorrow is a new day so I'll see how it goes even though my cramps are killing me and final exams are in less than two weeks....stressed and TOM! ahh!
Old 12-07-2007, 07:17 AM   #13  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Hey! Good luck on your exams!

During times of high stress, it's sometimes better to plan to maintain weight rather than lose. That gives a little leeway. Of course, as soon as the stressful situation is over--that is, TOM and exams--then getting right back on track is a good thing!

Cheers!
Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 01:53 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 134/134/115

Height: 5'1

Hi Short1 I Have A Huge Problem With That Only My Problem Is Not Only Tom It Is Everyday. I Work An Odd Schedule On My Work Days And Go Back To A Normal Schedule On My Days Off. I Wake Up Several Times A Night And Snack. I Dont Even Realize I Do It Until I Wake Up On The Am And See Empty Wrappers In The Trash. I Have Recently Asked My Fiance To Hide All Of His Goodies And It Seems To Be Working So Far. I Have No Self Control!!! Oh...i Also Will Put The Goodies Up High On The Shelves So If I Want Them I Have To Climb On The Counter To Get The,. This Helps Me Because It Makes Me Realize I Dont Need A Snack That Bad!!!
rileysbabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 07:39 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 156/154/135

Chocolate gum is a good idea, but until that hits the market, try Sugar Free Fat Free Jell-O (only 60 calories) cups in Dolce de Leche or Jell-O 100 Calorie Snacks Packs in Devil's Food. In one of thes Jell-O varieties, they also sell chocolate mint... the mint actually kills my chocolate cravings while the chocolate takes the edge off

I completely understand the urge to kill- my fiance and I split up at the mall Tuesday night to get our errands done and, darling man that he is, he stopped at Godiva for goodies, Macy's for Frango mints and another local chocolate specialty shop for more... aaah! We brought home over 6 pounds of chocolate!!!
Lafayette is offline   Reply With Quote