Old 12-04-2007, 10:26 AM   #1  
is recommitted

S/C/G: 338/see sig/150

Height: 5'6"

Default May I have permission to beat myself up?

I seem to enjoy inflicting self torture. Why else would I stuff myself full of fatty, salty, greasy foods, waking up with a complete bellyache the next morning and up almost 4 pounds? Can I please beat myself up now for being such a coward? I could have insisted... "No appetizer please." Even more, I could have insisted, "Let's just stay here and I'll cook something." Or at the very least, I could have insisted for a take home box when the food arrived and I was no longer hungry.

Last edited by rakel; 12-04-2007 at 10:31 AM.
rakel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 10:34 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 261/252/145

Height: 5'4"

No, no permission granted. Make yourself a nice cup of tea and forgiveness.
Schmoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 10:39 AM   #3  
Heather 2.0

S/C/G: 290/281/139

Height: 5'8"

Denied. Orders are to pick yourself up, dust yourself off, drink lots of water today and make good food choices TODAY.

These days happen. It's how you approach the NEXT day that counts

Last edited by HeatherAngel; 12-04-2007 at 10:39 AM.
HeatherAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 10:42 AM   #4  
No description available.

Agree. Be kind to yourself. Who is perfect? No one I know! You can use it as a learning experience and try to think about what you can do that NEXT time to make a different choice.

Hugs to you.
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 10:44 AM   #5  
is recommitted

You guys are already putting smiles on my face.

*stands up straight*

YES MA'AM(s)!

Going to get some water and my multivitamin now, MA'AM!

Last edited by rakel; 12-04-2007 at 10:51 AM.
Old 12-04-2007, 10:50 AM   #6  
One life, live it well

S/C/G: 304|ticker|160

Height: 5'6½

Yeah, I have to agree with the others on this one!! At least you're here the next day and ready to do it right. It really doesn't help to be emotionally hard on yourself. It's about owning up to what you've done. Being accountable for it. Learning from it. It's done, you did it, you feel horrible, you move on.

P.S. I've ofter wanted to bottle up that awful "bellyache" feeling. Just so I can remember it...how bad it feels. Just to help me remember.
Nori71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 11:31 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 227/219.5/150

Height: 5'5

No, you may not have permission to beat yourself up...would you ever give someone else permission to beat you up? Would you really expect us to?

And the gain probably isn't as bad as four pounds...if you are on track for the rest of the week, you may not get a net gain at all...look on the sunny side!
House_of_Mirth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 11:38 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

No beating up allowed! Nice thing about dieting is you can start over again anytime!
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 11:41 AM   #9  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Sure you may bet yourself up, in fact you should beat yourself up IF you would attack not only a stranger, but your family and best friends if you saw them in the same position. Push'm to the ground, kick'm in the guts, call'm nasty names. Then, when you get out of prison for aggravated assault, if you haven't lost weight on the crappy institutional food, you can get on with your life and weight loss plan.

Or you can skip all the first part. and do it the less painful way.

All kidding aside, don't ever forget that weight loss is extremely difficult, and are bodies and minds (and sometimes it seems our families, friends, and the whole world) fight us every step of the way. If you beat yourself up, you've wasted energy that could have been used to make changes. Give yourself the advice that you would give a friend who asked. Come here, talk to us, we all understand; and if you need more concrete, in-person, weigh-in, walking-buddy support, consider a group in your community. There are probably several, and you can try most if not all of them free before deciding. TOPS is inexpensive, Weight-Watcher's is well-known, OA follows a 12 step addiction model, and First Place is a Christian group.

Best Wishes
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 12:01 PM   #10  
Nicole

S/C/G: 261/226/140

No. No violence allowed here.

Rakel, yesterday is over. You can't do anything about it now - just concentrate on making today the best day you can.

You can do it - I know you can!
nicolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 12:09 PM   #11  
Masterpiece in progress

S/C/G: 279/206/167

Height: 5'8"

Don't beat yourself up. just start again and don't give up!!!
cheryl
hellokitty81668 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 12:13 PM   #12  
Made of Starstuff

Coulduvs Shoulduvs Woulduvs. Can't change yesterday. Can prevent today from becoming all about yesterday.

Salt = Water retention! It's very unlikely you're up 4 lbs worth of fat in one day.

Drink your water, move around, make those good choices right this moment! You are not the sum total of one poorly chosen meal. You'll feel better in a few hours. (But not too tight in case you're still feeling queasy.)
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 01:08 PM   #13  
is recommitted

A weight loss support group in my area sounds like a good idea. I'll have to look some up in the area and see what I can find. I could use something to occupy my time (other than you know, working) where maybe I could make some new friends to boot!

I'm feeling better already. My dad called earlier and I told him I lost 30lbs instead of ... whatever it was... 27? I'm not claiming it because it was just a day and we'll see what happens tomorrow. When I got up this morning I did not have much of an appetite, but after an hour or so I ate some yogurt just because I knew I should have something, not really because I was hungry, but by around 12:40 I was really hungry, so I'm working on a pretty large salad ... so far at around 280 calories for the day. I'll probably have a serving of pistachios once I'm done with the salad too, that is, if I'm not stuffed!

YUM! Good food

I hope you all know that I was joking about beating myself up...but not joking about being frustrated.

Last edited by rakel; 12-04-2007 at 01:09 PM.
Old 12-04-2007, 01:14 PM   #14  
MSer living healthy

S/C/G: 300/176/170

Height: 5ft 8in

I think all of us would be beating ourselves up at one time or another when we did not make the best choices regarding food we all do it. The key is to get right back on the wagon, don't beat yourself up and continue on making healthy choices. Use it as a learning experience, not one to beat yourself up about. Now that you have made an error in judgement try not to make that same error again.

If i don't make the right choice for a meal I still try and stay healthy for the rest of the day. There is not one of us here I think who may have fallen off the wagon or made a bad food choice the key is to hop right back on and not make it an excuse to eat junk foods.

Look how far you have come on your journey you are doing so well and giving yourself a present the best one in the world to be healthier and fuel your body with good wholesome foods.

Keep up the good work that you have done, I know you can do it as you have done so well. Good luck with the rest of your weight loss journey and reaching your goals.
purpleorc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 01:42 PM   #15  
is recommitted

I don't usually make a mistake and say, "what the heck!" and pig out, I don't really binge that often, and to be honset I haven't really done that since I started. Not to say I haven't eaten well over the calories I intended for the day or even if I didn't go over my calories, the quality of some of the food. It can be difficult to see the positives so I'm trying to work on those more, instead of getting easily discouraged.

It's amazing that I've made it this far. The old me would have given up by now.