Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 12-03-2007, 12:31 AM   #1  
mathlab

S/C/G: 224/163/145

Height: 5'3"

Question Losing inches instead of pounds

My weight loss has slowed significantly over the last 3 months - I've been sticking to my program, have varied my foods, and have upped the exercise (6 days a week, greater intensity). Mentally, I'm in a good place even though I'm losing only .2 - .4 lbs a week (instead of 1-2 lbs).

According to the weight and BMI tables, I have another 24 lbs to lose. I wear a size 8 and am feeling very healthy and strong.

The biggest changes these months have been in inches - just this month I lost an inch off my waist alone and people are saying that I'm looking much smaller. I've developed quite a bit of muscle definition (plus have a bit of saggy skin, but I can live with that).

Has this ever happened to you? What is going on? I'm looking forward to your words of advice and wisdom!
bethel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 03:17 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 307/lost 140+ lbs/125

You're doing GREAT!

I've lost 84 pounds to date, and I've also noticed some inches shrinkin' off of my body as well. Really, what you are experiencing is the natural order of things when you lose a ton of weight.

Keep up the good work!
teawithsunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 08:41 AM   #3  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

I am having trouble with this issue as well. The scale just bobs around. I haven't tracked inches, but my clothes feel looser.

I think sometimes our bodies have to "rearrange" themselves to get to the next level. I'm currently trying to change when I eat, how much I eat per meal, how much protein I'm eating, and so on, to try to see if I can't help--but otherwise, it's sometimes just something that needs to be waited out (and not go off plan).

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 09:52 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 213/ticker/125

Height: 5' 3"

Hi Bethel,

I'm the same height as you and close to the same weight. For 4 full weeks (5 of my Friday weigh-ins), I weighed 159. I considered that a "real" plateau. I was surprised that I didn't let it bother me. I just stayed on my plan and finally the 6th Friday (the one right after Thanksgiving of all things!), the scale went down 1 pound. The following Friday it went down another pound. Then, this past weekend, it went down another 1.5 pounds. So, I think my body was in a period of adjustment during the plateau. My clothes were fitting looser and I lost inches and now the scale is catching up. I didn't make any changes to my plan (figured it would be good practice for maintenance once I get there). Hang in there and the scale WILL move.
Mary from Maine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 12:30 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 188/ticker/130

remember this...muscle does weigh more than fat...so i think its great you've lost an inch. I'm currently in the same boat. I recently started a gym..and have not lost anything for 3 wks. However, i've lost an inch off my hips and 3/4 inch off my waist already since starting...my size 12 are almost hanging off me. So for me...yes its frustrating that the number hasn't changed...but when i measure myself..i'm estatic to know that i've lost inches. In reality who cares..its a number...you are loosing weight as proof thr the measurements. Just accept it...that's why i always try to measure myself when i don't loose wt but feel as if i've been doing well. That way i see the loss somewhere..maybe not in poundage...but heck if your clothes are fitting better..than obviously...you are loosing.

Last edited by GatorgalstuckinGA; 12-03-2007 at 12:30 PM.
GatorgalstuckinGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 12:38 PM   #6  
HAPPY HEALTHY ME

S/C/G: 215.4/-/165

Height: 5'2"

I feel your pain I am 5'2 and started out at 215 I now weigh 194.8(21lbs down) but I have lost 15 inches so I guess thats good - My motto is keep doing what your doing cause it will all catch up in the end. Good luck!
GONNABE165 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 01:37 PM   #7  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

You are gaining muscle at the same rate that you are losing fat. This is a happy thing! So many people LOSE muscle when dieting, a few manage to maintain muscle...to be gaining muscle is AWESOME

Remember BMI is only a rough guess that does not take body composition in to account at all. According to BMI, nearly every professional athlete is "overweight" and many are "obese". Arnold Schwarzenegger was "morbidly obese" when he was Mr. Universe with barely enough body fat to sustain life.

If you want a better measure of how healthy you are get your body fat tested.
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 07:34 PM   #8  
Mel

That's actually fantastic! As ennay said, you are losing fat at about the same rate as gaining muscle. This "golden period" of muscle growth doesn't last forever, so take advantage of it

When I first started lifting heavy rather than doing mostly cardio and circuit weight training, my scale weight sent up one pound in the first 12 weeks of the program I was doing, but I dropped from a size 8 to a size 4. My bodyfat dropped from 27% at my then goal weight of 135, to 20% at the same scale weight. I'm about the same height as you are. Having that muscle made it easier to take of more scale weight later when re-assessed my goal.

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 08:17 PM   #9  
Rennie

S/C/G: 228/Ticker/120

Height: 4 foot 11 inches

I seem to be pretty steady. Loseing all over it seems at the same time and about 1lb a week. Doesn't seem to matter if I exercise or not. Before I started exercising every day I was losing about 1lb a week. Now that I exercise everyday I am still losing about 1lb a week. Didn't really seem to change anything. Inches are coming off faster than lbs. Is that normal? I know I still have a lot of weight to lose. Maybe this will change as I get closer to goal?

Last edited by Shy Moment; 12-03-2007 at 08:18 PM.
Shy Moment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 10:24 PM   #10  

Height: 5'4

It has happened to me, I once did a diet and I GAINED 2 lbs in a week but lost 5 centimeters haha at first I got discouraged, but then I realized that it wasn't a bad thing

Are you exercising? If you are, then that might me the answer, muscles also weight and they are probably getting heavier, but that is a great thing!

You're doing great! Congratulations!
LondonAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 06:56 AM   #11  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Just to add-- muscle are more dense than fat. So, a pound of muscle takes up less space than a pound of fat. However, it takes awhile to build muscle--and it's not really possible to gain 2 pounds of muscle a week.

A weight fluctuation of a few pounds isn't unusual--but if weight goes up over time, then something about the plan needs adjusting. That's why it's helpful to track weight with a chart or other tool--you can see how things are going over a time span.

Really analyze your program! How much exercise, how often--how many calories (points, etc.) per day--and see if there are adjustments you can make. Have you been doing the same exercises for a long time? Maybe do something different. Are your foods too much the same every day? That can make a difference, too.

Good luck! And be happy!

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote