Old 11-28-2007, 10:11 PM   #1  
1/2 Marathon May 15 2011

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'0"

Default who watched oprah today? (nov 28th - wednesday)

So what do you all think of Bob Greene? Have any of you tried his book/diet?
I've heard many mixed reviews.

The "big losers" were amazing. I wish she spent a little more time talking to each of them.

Dana
Charbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 10:16 PM   #2  
One life, live it well

S/C/G: 304|ticker|160

Height: 5'6½

I was so busy in my office working, but I had it on in the other room, so I overheard most of it. It sounded like all of them took a VERY reasonable and healthy approach to their tremendous weight loss. No magic pills. Lots of hard work. A few times I had to run out and see what a 200-300-500 pound weightloss looked like. It's on again at 9pm, so I'll try to sit and watch it then.

(Note to self: laptop on christmas wish list!)

Last edited by Nori71; 11-28-2007 at 10:17 PM.
Nori71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 11:07 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 254

Height: 5'3"

I listened to it with my headphones while I was at work. The stories were certainly inspiring but they didn't seem to go into too much detail about how they did it. I think it comes back to "diet, exercise, and self worth". If you go to her website you can read more about each person and see their before and after pictures.

I haven't tried Bob Greene's diet (not the latest one anyway) but I've browsed through the book and didn't feel like there was anything I didn't already know. But, Oprah endorses him and he's most certainly helped her lose her weight. I think the positive side of Bob Greene is he brings in the emotional piece of losing weight. He asks us to dig deeper to find out what causes us to overeat or desire food in the first place. That seems to be a different approach from other diet books where it's all about diet and exercise.
julzchiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 11:55 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 307/172/153.5 (half of SW)

Height: 5'8''

I MADE my boyfriend DVR it because he refuses to ever watch Oprah. I'll watch it this weekend when I'm over there and he's sleeping
HarpoChicoGroucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 06:21 AM   #5  
Masterpiece in progress

S/C/G: 279/206/167

Height: 5'8"

I tried one of Bob Greene's recipes( there are some for free on Oprah's website), and loved it.. it was the Fireroasted Shrimp ? , it is one of my favorites.
Cheryl
hellokitty81668 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 06:34 AM   #6  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Hi there Charbar. I was wondering how you were doing just the other day. We'd love to hear from you more often, so please pop in every now and then - or even more.

I taped the show, but for some reason it cut out on me after about 45 minutes. I watched it when I got home from work last night and was eating my snack. Shhhh. Don't tell Bob Greene. He says no eating after 7 pm or so and not to eat in front of the tube. Well it was about 9:30 pm. Eating late at night doesn't affect my weight one little iota.

Anyway. I think she went too fast with them also. But I think she wanted to squeeze a lot of them in there. More motivating for those watching, to actually see that so many people CAN actually lose large amounts of weight without surgery. I would have liked to hear more about their plan. But from what I can tell, they pretty much did what many of us do around here. Healthy foods, in small amounts scattered throughout the day. And exercise. No new revelations. But that doesn't surprise me. Cause in the end, that's what it always boils down to - eating less (and healthier) and moving more. I do believe from listening to them, that the all important VITAL step came about first, - that they got sick and tired of being fat and miserable, felt as if they were living in a prison a couple of them even said, and had had enough and just couldn't take it any longer and therefore they made the commitment to change their lives. To get their lives back. And they did just that! It was wonderful to see. I'm so happy for each and every one of them.

Oh and weren't those 5 sisters adorable? That was so nice to see and so rare.

Last edited by rockinrobin; 11-29-2007 at 08:08 AM.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 06:46 AM   #7  
I AM healthy!

S/C/G: 270/196.2/135

Height: 5'4

Thanx for the cliff notes Robin! lol Exactly what happens here EVERY DAY.
Jasmine31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 08:06 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 261/252/145

Height: 5'4"

I watched a little of it, and DH came in and watched some too (surprisingly). It was inspiring, but a couple of them lost it very fast (200lbs in a year??). Also, DH was appalled that the doctor remained seated while those women had to stand there and talk and that he didn't stand and offer his seat. He thought it was very rude. lol
Schmoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 08:26 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 225/198.2/150

Height: 5'5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmoodle View Post
Also, DH was appalled that the doctor remained seated while those women had to stand there and talk and that he didn't stand and offer his seat. He thought it was very rude. lol
Your husband and I must think alike because I was thinking the very same thing! I wish they could have spent more time with each person too.
missingmyerica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 01:33 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 257/219/145

I was most shocked by the 200 lb. loss in one year...at first I thought that can't be possible just by healthy diet and exercise, then thought of the people on biggest loser and they lose over 100 in the few months on the show, some of them anyway, so it is possible. Just amazing, blew my mind!

It was very motivational for me because I realized that if someone barely able to walk can take off 500 lbs...I definitely can take off 100! It just will take me longer, probably. I looked at the website where they said details on their plans would be provided, but all I found were pictures with repeated bits of what was said on the show. The only concrete plan I found was WW. I just wanted to know exactly what took off 200 lbs. in a year!!!
Purplefirefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 02:03 PM   #11  
3 + years maintaining

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purplefirefly View Post
I was most shocked by the 200 lb. loss in one year...at first I thought that can't be possible just by healthy diet and exercise, then thought of the people on biggest loser and they lose over 100 in the few months on the show, some of them anyway, so it is possible. Just amazing, blew my mind!

It was very motivational for me because I realized that if someone barely able to walk can take off 500 lbs...I definitely can take off 100! It just will take me longer, probably. I looked at the website where they said details on their plans would be provided, but all I found were pictures with repeated bits of what was said on the show. The only concrete plan I found was WW. I just wanted to know exactly what took off 200 lbs. in a year!!!
When you start out at such a high weight, the weight DOES come off faster. When "they" say you shouldn't lose more then 1 -2 lbs a week, they are pretty much talking about people that aren't morbidly obese. Eating just a "normal" amount of calories and adding in exercise, for many, not all, morbidly obese people will usually result in higher losses per week. Perfectly safe, provided they are highly nutritional foods and therefore getting in their daily requirments.

Everybody needs to find a calorie allotment that is right for them however. Losses will vary greatly from person to person.

Last edited by rockinrobin; 11-29-2007 at 02:05 PM.
Old 11-29-2007, 04:07 PM   #12  

Height: 5'5"

Our two Robins (RockinRobin and Robin41) both had a pretty quick pace. RockinRobin with 154 pounds in 10 months and Robin41 with 90 pounds in six months. So, 200 pounds a year is certainly doable for some. I know that I would be going much more quickly if I had the same discipline as either or these two. and it's especially gratifying to see that RockinRobin maintained a pretty steady clip even into the lower end of the scale (and if I were a bettin' woman, I would guess that Robin41 will continue to do so as well). I also know that even though my pace is slower, I am not disappointed with being 60 pounds lighter in six months.
LaurieDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 04:33 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 278/see ticker/150

Height: 5'4

It's on my tivo
Smiling_Sara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 08:44 PM   #14  
3 + years maintaining

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurieDawn View Post
I also know that even though my pace is slower, I am not disappointed with being 60 pounds lighter in six months.
Well, helllooooo of COURSE you shouldn't be disappointed. You should be ECSTATIC!!! Those are great numbers. Losing 60 lbs is an incredible accomplishment - at any rate. Many, MANY people would be beyond thrilled to lose 60 lbs period, yet alone in only 6 months. When it comes down to it, it's just so important that we do it, whether it takes 6 months, 12 months, 18 or 24.

And yes, the key to my so called speedy weight loss was discipline and consistiency. And starting out with a BMI of 56.
Old 11-29-2007, 08:54 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 257/219/145

rockinrobin, I just looked at your before and after pics...WOW!!!! You look so amazing. You give me hope.
Purplefirefly is offline   Reply With Quote