Old 11-17-2007, 06:23 PM   #1  
Have you had The Surgery?

S/C/G: 510/225.4/199

Height: 69.09"

Default My 1/2 Marathon walk

My 2nd thread today (I'm an attn w***e!)

Last Sunday I participated in a 1/2 marathon. I had 2 goals:

1) To finish the even in less then 4 hrs so that I will receive my medallion and a free sweatshirt.
2) To not finish in last (I had a bad experience last year coming in last in a 5 mile walk for ADA)

In order to do a 1/2 marathon in 4 hrs, I must walk a comfortable 3.28mph. I had the route map, I had put on the 3 mile markers what time I would need to arrive there to be on schedule. Needless to say at the 1st 3 mile marker I arrived in 44 mins! For the remainder of my walk I stayed 15-20 mins ahead of schedule. I actually finished in 3:27 hrs. As I was approaching the Finish line, I was listening to Michael Jackson's Thriller (it was definitely a thriller night for me!!). Prior to that I played Heather Small' Proud (theme from Biggest Loser) 3 times on my mp3 player. When my results were recorded I was informed that I was awarded 2nd place for my age group (30-39)!!! And I ranked 135 out of 204 out of the walkers!!! If I hadn't used the porta potty the one time, and avoided a stretch or so, I could have came in 125th. At the 1st 5k marker (3 miles) I was actually in 1st place for my age group

My New Years resolution is to train for the next 1/2 marathon, and to register as a runner. As of right now I can run 5.0mph for 6 mins on the treadmill. I can crank it up to 6.0-6.5mph for a minute or two. My objective is to keep my endurance up and see if I can go an hour or so at 5-6mph. Practice, Practice, practice!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg trail of 2 cities .5marathon2.jpg (25.6 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg trail of 2 cities .5marathon.jpg (25.1 KB, 44 views)
FresnoBeeDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 07:06 PM   #2  
Nancy

S/C/G: 353/T/168

Height: 5'3"

Congratulations! You are totally inspiring!
NotTheCheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 08:19 PM   #3  
I CAN DO THIS!!

S/C/G: 360.6/335.4/140

Height: 5'7½"

That is fantastic! Congratulations!!
gina1221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 09:19 PM   #4  
No description available.

THat's awesome!
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 02:25 PM   #5  
MSer living healthy

S/C/G: 300/176/170

Height: 5ft 8in

Excellent work and congratulations on your acheivement one to be very proud of.
purpleorc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 03:06 PM   #6  
I'm a Loser ;)

S/C/G: SCG: 255/see ticker/160

Height: 5'9"

What an inspiring story!l!! Congrats!

Last edited by tamaralynn; 11-18-2007 at 03:07 PM.
tamaralynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 04:28 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

Congratulations!!
Sheila53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 09:54 AM   #8  
I AM healthy!

S/C/G: 270/196.2/135

Height: 5'4

Great job Fresno!
Jasmine31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 07:03 PM   #9  

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone that responded. Throughout this journey I never let my weight get in the way of my dreams. If you set out to do something, you can.
Old 11-28-2007, 07:58 PM   #10  
Escape from my fat suit

S/C/G: 290/210/130

You are sooooo inspiring!!!! I had my finals so I missed your post. What an awesome accomplishment for you!!! I am so proud of you.

You said you didn't let your weight get in between you and your dreams. I tried training for a half-marathon and did get up to 6-7 miles. Since the weight wasn't soming off fast enough, I stopped(I didn't realize how many calories I was eating).

If you have a free moment, mentally, what did you tell yourself to keep going? I wasn't decreasing my time fast enough so I quit...I have been slowly building up my tolerence level.

Did you train with other people or do it on your own? Were you permitted to wear an IPOD for the race? I'd be grateful for any tips or suggestions you could give me. Keep it up.
better health3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 12:18 AM   #11  

Let me go back a few months (July) if you don't mind. A co-worker, who has seen my transformation, who knows how active I have become (who also happens to be my #1 friend on MySpace) told me about this running/walking club that met on Sunday mornings. I contacted the person who organized it, and she welcomed me to join them. This group of people was/is training for a full marathon. It turns out this lady was also a personal trainer at a gym. One thing led to another, now I have my own personal trainer. Thats another discussion.

You asked what kept me going mentally? Call it OCD, or whatever, but here is what kept me going. In August there was a TV show called Fat March, A reality show that had overweight people walking 550 miles to Washington DC. Wheneevr I get tired on the walks, I think of these fat people, and they never stopped. That encouraged me to keep moving. Because of this show, I had googled it. I learned that when Stephen King wrote under his alias of Richard Bachman, he wrote a story called the Long Walk. This walk started with 100 teenage boys. There was only 1 winner. If you walked less then 4mph you got a warning. 3 Warnings, and you "bought a ticket" (you were shot dead by a soldier). I read this book at work. When I get on the treadmill, I don't allow myself to get below 4.0mph. I don't wanna die! I thought about that constantly during this 1/2 marathon.

Lastly, the rules said not to wear a headset, or use a cell phone. I decided there was no way in heck I can walk 4 hours without music. I bought my Stilleto100 (portable Sirius radio) along and decided I would play dumb if I had to. Dozens of people were using their headsets, no one said anything. When Heather Small's Proud (theme from Biggest Loser) came on around the 10th mile, I replayed it 4 times. The lyrics are too powerful. As I approached the finish line I was listening to Michael Jackson's "Thriller":

cause this is thriller, thriller night
And no ones gonna save you from the beast about strike
You know its thriller, thriller night
Youre fighting for your life inside a killer, thriller tonight

Regardless of the meaning behind the song (MJ was inspired after watching American Wherewolf in London, and had the same director direct his video), I was very emotional as I heard these lyrics blasting through my headphones. I finished a 1/2 marathon! It was a THRILLLER!

Completing this marathon I had 2 objectives, to finish to get my medallion, and not to finish in last. Last October I did a 5 mile walk for ADA (Americans with Diabetes Assoc). I weighed 386lbs. There was a free lunch afterwords. There was a raffle as well. Paramedics would be on hand, etc. This was my 1st major event. I simply wanted to finish. It took me 2 hrs, and I finished last with a family. Prizes were already given away, crew was cleaning up the park, very little food was left. Paramedics were gone, it was very depressing. No acknowledgements. I later emailed and complained to the local organizer. I was told she would make me part of the next years walking committee (as she liked my suggestions). That never happened. I eventually got some kind of certificate in the mail thanking me for participating. Name is misspelled (I have it displayed at my station at work). I did not want to finish in last for this 1/2 marathon! I was far from that, finishing 135 out of 204
Old 11-29-2007, 06:54 AM   #12  
I AM healthy!

S/C/G: 270/196.2/135

Height: 5'4

Awesome story Fresno. I know what you mean about reading books and getting inspired. I love to walk and it has been a big part of my weight loss journey these past few years. Heck, it has been easier for me to walk 60-90 minutes a day 6 days a week than to cut back on cals at times. lol

I remember at times though struggling with giving up, depressed cause the weight wasn't flying off, etc. I read stuff online about the holocaust and how they had people who were starving on the death marches toward the end of the war.

I kept telling myself that if they could keep walking, then I could finish a 60 or 90 minute consitently, NO EXCUSES. KWIM?
Jasmine31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 07:24 AM   #13  
Made of Starstuff

Just fantastic! How exciting! WTG
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 07:44 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 225/198.2/150

Height: 5'5

Wow...your story is so inspiring! Thank you so much for sharing it. Sometimes, I wonder if people realize how much their stories impact others. I had a really bad day yesterday and I wanted to comfort myself with food so badly. Instead, I read through the goals and mini goals section. I read post after post until I could face the day without comforting myself with food. And I did! So, again....thank you!
missingmyerica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 12:00 AM   #15  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasmine31 View Post
Awesome story Fresno. I know what you mean about reading books and getting inspired. I love to walk and it has been a big part of my weight loss journey these past few years. Heck, it has been easier for me to walk 60-90 minutes a day 6 days a week than to cut back on cals at times. lol

I remember at times though struggling with giving up, depressed cause the weight wasn't flying off, etc. I read stuff online about the holocaust and how they had people who were starving on the death marches toward the end of the war.

I kept telling myself that if they could keep walking, then I could finish a 60 or 90 minute consitently, NO EXCUSES. KWIM?
I have the kind of job where during my free time I can read (or play handheld games, or talk, or whatever - I am an operator for the deaf). I am constantly reading about diabetes, nutrition, weight training, aerobics, weight loss success stories, etc. I've read Richard Simmons autobiography (although I can't stand the jerk), Jared from Subway, Cortney Rubin (a columnist for Prevention magazine, that had a article about her journey's). I pre-ordered PastaQueens half-assed book. I am always inspired and motivated by others. One of my few friends on MySpace (The Champ) was a walker on Fat March. For fun I have thrown in odd ball books, like that Stephen King book I mentioned. Right now I am reading Slash's autobiography (Guns 'N Roses). I am expecting a few books from Amazon, such as Your Body's Many Cries for Water, I love recommendations, and because of a poster here on 3FC, I ordered "How To Cook Everything: Simple Recipes for Great Food" as well (a few ladies at work love this book!) I just got finished reading (only bought it for comedic purposes!!!) Kevin Trudeau's "The weight loss cure they don't want you to know about". I am in the process of highlighting several statements, and I will be reviewing this book sometime this next month (it is by far the FUNNIEST book I have EVER read!)