General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 11-28-2007, 05:51 PM   #1  
I wanna be a loser, too

Height: vertically challenged

Default What Not To Wear - Do you watch it?

A few months ago my 2 friends and I had our annual "girls playing hooky" day. I was a little disappointed that they hadn't noticed my weight loss. I didn't say anything.

Well, I was speaking with one of them the other day and she remarked that when we were boarding the ferry from Fisherman's Wharf, they meant to comment. (I started beaming). Anyway, she remarked that I'm still wearing the same old tops, just better fitting pants. She suggested that I watch that show. She said the story lines won't be why I'm watching. I should watch until someone who has my body shape is on there and pay attention to that episode.

Do you watch it?
cbmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 05:53 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 188/ticker/130

Height: 5'3"

i love watching what not to wear. I think it gives people a great idea of body type and how to dress it. I think its a good show...i've always liked make over shows tough...check it out...
GatorgalstuckinGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 05:54 PM   #3  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

I've watched a couple - usually those with people who've lost a bunch of weight and now have no idea how to dress. My mom keeps threatening to nominate me...I don't think I do that badly, but I do have a relative lack of things that fit, so sometimes my clothes are a bit baggy.

It is interesting if you find one with a person who matches your body type...definitely get some good ideas.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 05:58 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 266 / 179 / 165

Height: 5'7"

Yeah, I watch it, and I guess what your friend is telling you is that you need to downsize your tops as well. After losing 34 lbs, I would say you definitely need to go down prob. 2 sizes on top. It will make you look sooo much smaller - trust me! i was wearing baggies for waaay too long and was shocked when I put on something smaller, how much smaller I actually looked. Baggy and extra fabric billows really do make you look bigger.
sportmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 06:01 PM   #5  
I wanna be a loser, too

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportmom View Post
Yeah, I watch it, and I guess what your friend is telling you is that you need to downsize your tops as well. After losing 34 lbs, I would say you definitely need to go down prob. 2 sizes on top. It will make you look sooo much smaller - trust me! i was wearing baggies for waaay too long and was shocked when I put on something smaller, how much smaller I actually looked. Baggy and extra fabric billows really do make you look bigger.
But they're so comfy! I had to get new pants. The others were literally falling off.

I have to watch out with tops. My chesticles need room.
Old 11-28-2007, 06:02 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

I LOVE it! And watch several times a week.

I agree ... I watch for small women, short women, sweatshirt women, long haired women, 40 somethings ...

So many gals here at 3FC talk about being top heavy with slender butts and thighs .... WNTW dresses that figure (very nicely) fairly often.
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 06:14 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 218/175/155

Height: 5'6"

I miss WNTW! We don't have a TV anymore so we only watch TV when we travel. I use to watch it all the time though. It's very informative and sometimes quite hysterical!
zenor77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 06:15 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 290/170/170

The show makes a big thing about wearing clothes to fit your shape and having a good 'foundation' over lumpy, bumpy bits. If your boobs are on the large size try V necks. Its amazing how much a bit of tailoring or semi-tailoring can improve your appearance.

Kitty
KforKitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 06:34 PM   #9  
I wanna be a loser, too

Unfortunately, I have got that menopausal mid section. I don't like to emphasize that. I guess I'll have to go spend some quality time in a tops section somewhere.
Old 11-28-2007, 06:40 PM   #10  
super geek

S/C/G: 185/151/138

Height: 5'9

Haha, chesticles.

Anyway, I've only seen like two episodes and find the women a little bit demeaning. I guess you have to be harsh to make people change though. A woman I babysit for has a What Not To Wear BOOK and I think it is wonderful. They really do cover a wide cross-section of bodies and dressing styles.
rocket pop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 06:40 PM   #11  
Captain Prescriptivism

S/C/G: 235/180/135

I've watched it a couple of times, but it's not really all that relevant for me because my body type is sort of weird (most of my weight deposits itself on my lower body and my muscles tend to be of a bulgy sort).
ImpalaHoarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 07:19 PM   #12  
It's never too late

S/C/G: 187.8/146.8/133

Height: 5'0

I love What Not to Wear! I do think sometimes while I'm watching the show that they should let people be who they are and not try to change them by their clothes, but I usually love how they transform people from beginning to end. I find that they have a wide variety of body types on the show, from the skinny skinny to the pleasantly plump. I tend to also like the show because they often have ladies on that are short as I am (4'11") and I like that they give tips on dressing a shorter, slightly overweight body because that is what I have. I think overall it's a great show.
NoVaVTFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 07:28 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 233/198/133

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocket pop View Post
...find the women a little bit demeaning...
I agree, and him too. I often watch the last half where they are shopping and doing hair and make-up. They do have great clothing tips.
settie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 08:13 PM   #14  
The Pink Champagne

S/C/G: 165/114/110

Height: 5'2"

I love that show!!! I've been begging my friends to send me on it....I promise them I wouldn't be offended!!
DGAdDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 11:35 PM   #15  
I wanna be a loser, too

I do feel that they should let her do her own make up. It's easy to see the transformation when somebody else does it. If they applied their own make up under the supervision of the expert, they might be able to pick up on all they are supposed to do.

Last edited by cbmare; 11-28-2007 at 11:36 PM.