Closed Thread

Old 11-12-2007, 07:20 AM   #1  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Default Active Folks Over 50 -- #4

Greetings! It seemed about time to begin a new thread.

Active Folks Over Fifty is a place to talk about fitness and healthy eating information as it relates to weight loss and/or maintenance--and also about any work, fun, hobby, or volunteer activites you're engaged in. In other words, the active part of your life!

Just a few guidelines for this thread:

- Raves about grandkids or ranting about your kids is out of bounds.

- Discussion of your illnesses, conditions, treatments, and medical procedures in general is also out of bounds on this thread. So is whining about old age!

- Positive stories of vacations taken, volunteer activities, or achievements at work or elsewhere are highly encouraged! As are recommendations for books, movies, lively discussions of weight related issues, etc.

Join in!
-----------------

Starting another week! How is everyone doing? I can't believe it's Veterans Day already--and by the way, best wishes to all who have served or are serving in the armed forces.

Do we have any veterans posting here?

I didn't do enough exercise in the last two days and need to get back on track. I allowed some home maintenance tasks to get in the way...

Cheers, everyone!

Jay
Old 11-12-2007, 08:52 AM   #2  
Onward and Downward

S/C/G: 285/215/1??

Height: 5'2"

Morning JAY . . . Our Remembrance Day was yesterday (the 11th day of the 11th month) . . . just goes to show, you learn new stuff all the time. I thought the date was the same everywhere (well, in the Allied countries) even though the name was different.
Old 11-12-2007, 10:01 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 202/ticker/135

My son was in Desert Storm. I am incredibly grateful that he returned safely.

We had company for the day yesterday. The man of the couple has been best friends with my DH since they were kids.

We barbecued. I did really well without too much effort. I selected my steak before cooking and went heavy on the grilled veggies and salad. My caloric intake was appropriate, I was satisfied, and I am sure no one noticed that I was eating differently, because I really wasn't. This is a major NSV for me!
Old 11-12-2007, 11:18 AM   #4  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

Meowee, it's Nov. 11th in the U.S., but today is the "holiday" from work.

Gail, I'm glad your son came home safely also. And good for you with the barbecue! That's how it's done--we can often eat the same foods, just adjust portions.

Jay
Old 11-12-2007, 07:23 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 328/see ticker/199

Height: 5-8

Well this is the first time back in a long time. We recently purchased an eliptical machine and it has me back on track with excersize and eating healthy once again. I am hoping it stays with me because I feel so much better when I move and not sit.
I have also been reading Dr. Phil's book The Ultimate Weight Solution . It has some wonderful ideas and steps to help you eat better.
Is anyone else out there reading it?

Bev
Old 11-12-2007, 08:02 PM   #6  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

RedHeadLongLegs!

I haven't read it. Would you recommend it? Can you give us an idea of what sort of tips he suggests?

Jay
Old 11-12-2007, 08:24 PM   #7  

Thanks JayE!

I have read about half of the book and it's so funny because he mentions things that aren't easy but they make so much sense. A couple I can remember now is taking all the bad foods out of the refrigerator and cupboards. If they are full of good things to eat then that's all you'll eat!
If you have trouble at the grocery store, let someone go for you, give them a list. He talked about walking in the house through the kitchen and eating a piece of cake while he talked to his wife making dinner. He would then go take his shower. He said he changed his routine by going into the front door, taking his shower and then going to greet his wife.
It is funny how we get into routines and don't realize the extra calories little habits have.
Those are a few of them I can remember now.
Bev
Old 11-12-2007, 09:50 PM   #8  

RedHead, welcome and thanks for the book recommendation. I will order it from the library and give it a read.

I put down self-stick vinyl tile in the secondary bathroom today. It is a small bathroom, but still a lot of work. I am already very stiff and sore. I must have gotten up from the floor a hundred times. I laid the tile on the diagonal just because I thought it would look cool - it does! As soon as my DH gets out of the shower, I am getting my a$$ in there to limber myself up a bit. I already took a couple of ibuprofen, so I should be all set.

All complaining aside, there is no way that I could have done the tile job before I lost weight. I think having gotten a little exercise in the last few months helped, too.
Old 11-12-2007, 10:09 PM   #9  
Maintaining :)

S/C/G: 215/117/120

Height: 5'4"

Hi all! Just checking in. Busy day with work, grocery shopping and church meeting. Finally got home at 9:45 p.m. I'm glad I got yoga in this morning at 5:30 - no aerobics tonight!

Gail - I have done the sticky floor tiles too. I think I was stiff for 3 days after we did the dining room and kitchen in one weekend - LOL

I haven't read Dr. Phil's book either. I listened to an excerpt of the audio version somewhere and it was full of good common sense reminders - lots of behavior modification and retraining your mind and body to avoid your trigger eating behaviors.

I got most of the ingredients I need for Thanksgiving today - except the perishables. I had a terrible time finding butternut squash - it took me 3 grocery stores to find it (and we only HAVE 3 in town). My victory for the day - I passed up the donuts in the break room! I didn't even open the box.
Old 11-12-2007, 10:46 PM   #10  
breakfast rebel

Height: 5' 4.5"

CountingDown - a hard time finding butternut squash? I have 2 I can send you, plus two other winter-type squashes I am finding a hard time using up! (from my CSA - I love the CSA for the most part....but....)
Today after slacking for two weeks I went to the gym and did 30 minutes cardio* - and 30 minutes Nautilus, with higher weights on any machine than I have done before.
*Asterisk on cardio because of something I probably am not supposed to write about on this thread - medication that slows everything down, so it is hard to really for me to get the heart rate up. I actually got up to 100 beats per minute for a few minutes which is so rare for me.
But this is NOT a complaint! I KNOW it is possible to lose weight even with the medication causing me to have a metabolic rate of a hibernating animal. And it just motivates me more. ("Oh, an obstacle? HA! NOT!) I will conquer my conquests, or whatever sayings there are for that. (Feet stamping in rebellion here.)
Hope everyone is having a good evening.

Last edited by Spinymouse; 11-12-2007 at 10:47 PM.
Old 11-13-2007, 08:25 AM   #11  
Onward and Downward

S/C/G: 285/215/1??

Good Morning everybody . . .

Glad to say that we still have nothing that needs shovelling -- the rest of Atlantic Canada (including more western parts of Nova Scotia) have definitely not been so lucky. Hopefully it will stay this way -- but I wouldn't bet on it.

REDHEAD . . . . . . so glad you could join us.

See you later, gang . . . keep things moving and shaking today . . .
Old 11-13-2007, 08:26 AM   #12  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

Hey Spiny, no problem with mentioning the heart rate difficulties--after all, you weren't whining, merely reporting! Now, if I were to start in on how sore I was for how many days after doing the Tae Bo video... that would be whining.

Jay
Old 11-13-2007, 01:53 PM   #13  

It's a beautiful day in the desert. I just got back from walking 2.5 miles. Now I have to get ready for work.
Old 11-13-2007, 07:02 PM   #14  

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome! I usually read a bunch of the threads and hardly ever post. I don't know what made me want to post here but I am glad I did!
Old 11-13-2007, 07:41 PM   #15  

Glad you did.

I ordered the Dr Phil book from the library. I was running out of inspirational reading.....From the reviews on amazon, it sounds like something you either really like or really hate. I like Dr Phil, so I'll probably like the book.
Closed Thread