General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 11-24-2007, 11:06 PM   #1  
Work in progress

S/C/G: 165/ticker/120???

Height: 5'2"

Default When is it acceptable to quit?

Hey guys,
a non-diet question today. I just started a part time job two weeks ago. Every day has been a nightmare. I am not getting the proper training, people generally seem to hate it there, and my managers don't have any clue what's going on. The job doesn't mean anything to me... it's just a regular, run-of-the-mill part time cashiering job to help pay the bills while I am in school. We aren't desperate for money though... my question is... if I quit now, would that just be completely unacceptable? I mean, I am miserable... I cried the other day because I hate it so bad. But, I feel like a loser if I quit after only 2 weeks. My last job I had for 4 years, and would have stayed longer if I didn't have to move (so I am not someone who usually jumps around from job to job.) I want your oppinions. Stay and try to see if it gets better or go and find something else that I like better?
LittleMoonRabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 11:18 PM   #2  

If you don't need the money -- walk away -- give a week's notice and start looking for something else. Life is too short to be miserable!!
shelby897 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 11:26 PM   #3  
Let's do this!

S/C/G: 210/149/140

Height: 5'6.5

I had a job with a nationally syndicated radio show.

The conditions were so atrocious that I left after 2 weeks. Didn't even give a proper notice. Just an email to my boss.

One jerkwad does not a career make (although I'm sure he likes to think that he has that sort of power)

I moved on to way bigger and way better things. Like Shelby said, life's just too short. I stuck with a job I hated for 16 months because I was afraid of quitting. Never again.
junebug41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 11:28 PM   #4  
Weight Loss; Control Gain

S/C/G: ?/?/130

Height: 4'11"

Quit now, even if you do need the money, becuase those sort of jobs are everywhere. I have had some crappy jobs too, but this one sounds like a real doozey, if they are not going to put time in money into training you, then how can you ever feel good about working there. Quit, quit, quit!
It's okay to do what you want, don't worry about what other people think. Don't feel guilty about it, don't think twice.
Just my opinion.
vixjean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 11:44 PM   #5  

Height: 5'8"

Usually when you start a new job there is a 'probationary period' of a set amount of time (3,6,12 months). Based on my experience in the "real world" (I am a teacher now, and there is NOTHING 'real' about this job! ), the employer AND the employee have the option of terminating employment without notice. That is what the period is for - to make sure the job is a good fit for everyone...I say if you truly don't need the money then leave...leave now!!!

Best of luck to you!

Last edited by Tonia; 11-24-2007 at 11:44 PM.
Tonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 12:28 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 283/253/190

Height: 5'9"

Quit. You owe them nothing.
Lifeguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 05:07 AM   #7  
I have less blubber!

S/C/G: 207/203/160

Height: 5'3"

I say if you are unhappy, quit. My very first job was at McDonalds, and I absolutely hated it. They threw me in there like I was supposed to know everything already, no one was friendly..I just felt lost. I stayed there whole days LOL. I have since found other jobs that I have kept longer, but nothing really keeps my interest long LOL. I usually find jobs that only need me for a few months.
sockmonkey70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 09:06 AM   #8  
ugggg.....

I say quit too--look for a job at a place where the employees seem happy and get along. No job will be perfect but if everyone is miserable, it's not going to get anything but worse!!
jules1216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 09:16 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 190/189/156

Height: 5'10"

Hi! Although, yes, you technically don't owe them anything, you should step up and be the professional one and give proper notice. They did pick you over other applicants and this job may mean nothing to you, but maybe it could've if it was the right fit. You never want to burn your bridges anywhere as it's a possibility the current manager or co-worker could turn up in your life again elsewhere and you want to leave the best impression.

Go to the manager, have a talk that you're not happy due to "x, y and z" and that you'll be leaving on a certain day. I'm still a believer in 2 weeks (10 business days) so that they can find a replacement. You'll have left on decent terms and maybe they can learn from your point of view. At least you'll have said your peace and was thankful for the opportunity.

No matter what, it was a learning experience, right? Good luck!!
aymster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 09:48 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 294.5/276/190

Height: 5'2"

I agree with the previous post, if you give 2 weeks notice, then you will have worked there for one month. This looks better on a resume than quiting after 2 weeks. Also if you leave in a business-like manner, it will look better for you when you job search again. Employers do look a job history and do ask former employers for feedback. Good luck.
chicpanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 09:56 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 195/see ticker/145

Height: 5'7

I agree with everyone else, quit. I felt the same as you until I was with my boyfriend, I was miserable and he said why are you staying and I realized I was only staying because I felt bad for leaving them. I then realized that wasn't good enough reason to stay. Other people interviewed and it will be no big deal. If you can stick it out put in two weeks if you can't just quit.
Rhighlan86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 11:00 PM   #12  
Blonde Bimbo

S/C/G: 250+/144/135

Height: 5' 4"

Definately give notice and quit. Sticking out a job you hate isn't doing you OR them any favors. No matter how hard you try, if you truly hate a job, it's going to come through in how you do your job. And what looks worse? Quitting a job after just a couple weeks (or a month with the notice), or staying and having a future employer get negative feedback on your performance from them?
almostheaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 11:45 PM   #13  
One day at a time

S/C/G: 220/191/186

I say quit too! Been there done that and I did quit after two weeks, no notice or anything. I let the guy know what was going on and apparently he didn't care so...I am a firm believer in being happy with your job especially if you don't need the money.
FrouFrou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 01:20 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 218/175/155

Height: 5'6"

Give notice and quit! If you stay you'll end up being stressed out all the time and too much stress can effect your health. So I say, for your own sanity, definitely quit.
zenor77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 07:33 AM   #15  
Made of Starstuff

As everyone else has said, QUIT. Depending on the type of person you are (and I'm this type of person) give them a week of notice. At a cashiering job this is plenty of time. I wouldn't say "Just don't show up" because no matter how bad the job is someone is counting on you to be there. But, a week is long enough for them to know, but short enough that you can live through it.

There are plenty of other stores out there that are much more pleasant. Best of luck!
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote