Old 11-21-2007, 04:43 PM   #1  
Sandra

S/C/G: 230/195.0/145

Height: 5'4"

Default Has anyone tried a low protein diet??

Hi there ~

Has anyone tried a low protein diet and how has it worked for you? I lost 20 pounds doing the old fashioned portion control and healthy choices and was losing approx. 1-1 1/2 pounds per week. Then I started a new program where the diet is very low protein. It is fairly easy (with some willpower) as I am a huge red meat fan (mmmmmm... steak on the grill). The exercise I'm doing is all cardio so I don't have to worry about needing the protein for weights or anything. The weight is coming off fairly fast and I'm just concerned about the weight flying back on when I re-introduce proteins.

Any thoughts??
OneLastTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 06:57 PM   #2  

Aren't you concerned about losing muscle mass? You might want to do some light weight training and not restrict your protein, just eat quality protein like chicken breast and fish. Plus protein keeps you full.
kimmieone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 07:12 PM   #3  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Well it depends on what you call low protein? Your body only really needs about 5% of your calories from protein but if you are exercising, pregnant or breast feeding, it should be a bit more than that. About 15% of my calories come from protein, plant based protein. I also do various types of exercise including weight training.

The weight really wouldn't pile back unless you don't practice portion control and/or count your calories.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 07:22 PM   #4  
Sandra

Well.... The only protein I get right now is from milk. I'm not too worried about my muscle mass right now as I am thinning down. My current exercise is all about cardio and the only "weight" I lift (or use) is my own body weight during floor exercises. I never thought I'd do a quick fix/fad diet but I feel really good physically and mentally so I'm wanting to stick with it. I definately plan on sticking to portion control and healthy choices once I reach goal and re-introduce protein so hopefully I won't gain it right back.

THANKS ladies!!
Old 11-21-2007, 07:36 PM   #5  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Do you know how much protein you are getting in your diet though? Are you only drinking milk? What other foods are you eating? I am confused Mostly because a lot of foods have protein even if they aren't meat.

You might want to put your food into fitday to see how much protein you are getting.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 11:27 PM   #6  
Sandra

Nelie ~
I think I'll try the Fitday thing and see how everything looks on there.
THANKS!
Old 11-23-2007, 11:48 PM   #7  
Finding My Bliss

S/C/G: Fit & Fat!

Height: Tall & Strong, Baby!

Nelie beat me to it! You are most likely getting protein from a variety of foods, unless you are only eating artificial and fake foods. How much milk are you drinking? The general recommendations for adults is around 50 grams of protein a day (this varies based on many factors, naturally).
SoulBliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 12:03 AM   #8  
Sandra

I am getting 20 oz. of Milk a day... the other foods consist of fruits and vegetables. That's it. Plus a serious kick-butt vitamin with extra of all 11 Vitamin B's.
Old 11-24-2007, 12:10 AM   #9  
Finding My Bliss

Well, thats about 20 grams there! Are you eating enough calories? What are you eating, is what we all want to know I think! Post a typical day, if you want assistance.
Old 11-24-2007, 02:42 PM   #10  
Sandra

It's a crazy diet... I'll warn you. It has a holistic approach using asian/american philosophy and has 3 main parts. Accupressure, chi gong breathing and diet. The diet consists of two milk days, then two veggie/fruit days, then two milk days, then two veggie/fruit days and so-on. No matter what day it is, you only eat between noon and 6pm. You can drink any non-calorie drinks 24/7. On milk days you drink 20 oz. of whole milk (that's it), they are essentially a fasting day. On veggie/fruit days you eat 1 1/2 lbs. of veggies and two fruits. There are a few things here and there to help out if you need it.... like a teaspoon of honey if you feel shakey (low blood sugar), the multivitamin, etc. It's MD oriented and I'm doing it under the MD's watch. I get fat, protein & sugar from the milk, vitamins, minerals & sugar from the veggies and fruits. I feel great. I'm just worried about it coming back on when I reintroduce lean proteins at goal weight.

THANKS ladies ~

Last edited by OneLastTime; 11-24-2007 at 02:42 PM.
Old 11-24-2007, 03:09 PM   #11  
Finding My Bliss

I am glad to hear you are being monitored (because fad diets aren't wise) but I wonder how a medical doctor would be in support of such an imbalanced, extreme way of eating. Weight gain is inevitable when a "normal" pattern of eating is reestablished after a fad diet.

I love acupressure and Chi Gong though!
Old 11-25-2007, 09:27 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

I would also be concerned about an MD who would be okay with a plan such as this...

Your body needs protein though, regardless of whether or not you lift weights. You still have to worry about losing muscle mass, even when you are slimming down.

Back in the 70's and 80's it was common for people to try to lose weight quickly, and then worry about toning everything up AFTER the weight loss. In the past 20 years though, it has been shown to be healthier, and more beneficial, to tone up your muscle DURING weight loss...that way you are already fit and firm when you hit your goal weight.

Doing fasting days of only milk, and days of only fruits and vegetables will cause you to lose muscle mass over time...which is what you want to keep. You want to lose fat, and keep your muscle mass, because the muscle is the firm, fit part of the body. You need it...and for a shapely fit body, you have to have it.

Obviously we are all individuals, and you can do what you please...but I wouldn't follow a plan such as this-simply because I exercise to increase my muscle and lose fat-not the other way around.

Good luck to you
aphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 11:44 AM   #13  
Sandra

Thank you ladies ~
Ya, it's a crazy program. I really appreciate your input and suggestions. I'm going to give it some time to see how I feel. I do want to be thinner but I really want to be healthy so I'm going to pay attention to how my body feels (which I'm usually pretty in tune with). Thanks again!!!