Old 11-21-2007, 10:54 PM   #1  

Talking Steel Magnolias -- #45

Good Evening, Flowers! The wind is blowing like crazy, but no snow so far. A few claimed they saw snowflakes this morning, but I didn't. It is cold here tonight -- 21 degrees as I type. I made a trip to the grocery store right after school; I thought it would be standing room only but it wasn't bad. I tried to remember what we forgot last night so we'll see tomorrow when the cooking starts.

"Gma" -- I have never ever heard of cut up raw vegetables referred to as crudites! I guess I must have sleeping on that one! The rocking chair is cute! You can do the rocking horse next Christmas . . . hope you get a head with yours! I have my old rocking chair which my parents recovered for Jason. I just had it recovered again and Bob is refinishing the rockers. The lady who did the upholstery work said she had never seen one quite so big and sturdy. I'm hoping the grandkids will enjoy it.

Gloria -- The kids are going to the "other side" of their families. We were all together last weekend for Ian's birthday. He turned 5 today which doesn't seem possible. We are going to work in the basement and sort through boxes that are still sitting in the garage from last spring when we had water in the basement. I always have good intentions but never seem to get much done.

Susan -- I hope you are enjoying a nice visit with your Ohio friends!

We just got a notice that the assessor's office is going to make "inside the house" inspections next year, so I will get my bedrooms cleaned out or else!

Have an enjoyable Thanksgiving with your friends and family!

Jean -- from Iowa!
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007, 04:10 AM   #2  

Happy Thanksgiving Everyone!:

Last edited by gma22; 11-22-2007 at 04:11 AM.
gma22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007, 08:08 PM   #3  

Good Evening, Flowers! Another Thanksgiving has come and gone for all practical purposes although I know that some families will celebrate over the weekend. It was very quiet here. I've done a couple loads of laundry and worked in the basement a while. I found some old piano music that was my mother's. It is so brittle it breaks; I hate to pitch it but know I will never play it. Also found some of my music plus some of Beth's. Her's is going to the Good Will while mine is going back in a box! It was a cold and windy day in my corner of the world. We had huge lazy snowflakes falling most of the morning, but once they hit the ground they were gone. I'm glad!

I hope you all enjoyed a nice day today! Have a relaxing evening and a fantastic Friday tomorrow!

Jean -- in Iowa!
Old 11-23-2007, 07:03 AM   #4  

Good morning to you all! Hope your Thanksgiving was enjoyable. We have a nice time. Everyone got along, we played Pictionary Jr and had a blast with it. Just because you are an adult, doesn't mean you can draw! lol Lots of food and my fridge is stuffed with leftovers. Everyone will be here today for brunch, then we will probaby go out tonight so Jay can experience another bbq restaurant then they head home tomorrow. Jack and I were totally miffed though. I sat for about an hour after everyone had eaten then got up and started clearing the food table. Jack started to help me (thinking everyone would pitch in when they saw we were putting food away.) Well, the girls sat and gabbed and Jay and Thomas and Tom played Monopoly on the computer and Jack and I packed up all the food and loaded and washed all the dishes by ourselves. We put everything back by ourselves and I was washing the last pan and my dd says, "Mom, do you need some help?" I said, "It's all done now," and that was it. When they all left about half an hour later, Jay kisses me and says, "You know mom, you shouldn't have worked so hard. You should have waited and let us help clean up." I looked him straight in the eye and said, "Yeah and I would still be waiting!" It was the only glitch of the whole evening, but I guess you have to have at least one! I b*^ched to Jack about stuff when we were alone for about an hour then we went upstairs! lol

I was looking around on the online websites to see if they had any good sales and JCP had the needlepoint Christmas stockings that are monogrammed on clearance sale so I dove in and bought one for each kid and grandkid. I bought matching Christmas trees for Jay and Alicia with their names, matching Santas with Tom and Kelly's names, then 2 Christmas bears with Jackson and Thomas's names and saved 65%!!!! I also found a bunch of clothes for Jackson so will order them from Macy's some time today more than likely.

Everyone have a nice day and the rest of the weekend!
Faye
Old 11-23-2007, 03:28 PM   #5  

Good Afternoon, Flowers! Today seems like it should be Saturday. The sun is shining brightly but it is cold and windy outside. Our last tree is finally giving up it's leaves and they are landing on the deck. I've been doing more laundry and paper sorting today. If it weren't for the election and junk mail we wouldn't get much mail that's for sure.

"Gma" -- I would be upset about not getting any help either! They should have told you and Jack to go to the livingroom and put your feet up while they did the clean-up! I don't know why, but when the kids are here Bob can be oblivious to anything in the kitchen. I have to ask him to fill the glasses or set the table, etc. He's good help before they get here so I shouldn't complain. It just seems like the food is ready all at once and the kids want to eat NOW! Beth and Amanda are good about helping to put away and clean up after we eat. Since there are no babies to rock any more I can help too. I'm glad you got your Christmas stockings. I have two Advent felt calendars; one I made and the other my mom made after Beth came along and the two fought over the one calendar. I am tempted to give them to the grandkids this year but yet would hate to see them abused since they are "old." I'm thinking about getting my cards out and addressing them, then again maybe not. I'm feeling lazy and I really need to get busy.

Have a nice day 'rest of the day' and a super Saturday tomorrow!

Jean -- from Iowa!
Old 11-24-2007, 06:40 AM   #6  

Good morning gals! The kids got here at 10 am and all of them stayed all day. We went out for bbq at lunch and it was horrible and then to PF Changs for dinner, which was really good. I have tons of food in my fridge and Jack and I won't eat all of it. Kelly took some home, but all in all I
imagine stuff will end up getting thrown out eventually. We are doing leftovers today that is for sure.

Jay and Alicia will come by early this morning as they are heading home. They decided not to stay until tomorrow as Jay has to be back in Chicago on Monday morning and Alicia has to work early on Monday so has to take the baby to day care. We enjoyed seeing them and we will see them again in a month.

Here is a pic of the two kids and Jack. Thomas loves that baby and Jackson likes him too. Jackson is a really sweet tempered baby and even when he gets fussy isn't an all out screamer, though Alicia says he can get that way. It was fun having him here. We enjoyed having Thomas too as we don't see him a lot either.

All in all the holiday was very enjoyable, but as with holidays there is always the clean up part! lol

Have a nice weekend.
Faye

Last edited by gma22; 01-28-2008 at 06:15 AM.
Old 11-24-2007, 11:53 PM   #7  

Good Evening! We just got home a little while ago. We made it a 12+ hour day and I am tired. We did stop at Target and did some more Christmas shopping. It seems like the more I get done the more I think of to do. We stayed at my "mom's" longer than we intended but had a nice visit. She is glad to be home and it was nice to see my "sister" and her husband from AZ. Tomorrow is our afternoon to work at Santa's Castle so I won't get much done around here. The tree may go another week without getting decorated. *sigh* "Oh well!"

"Gma" -- Cleaning up is the worst part about having company. No matter how organized or how much extra help there is, it is still a chore. I know what you mean about pitching the leftovers . . . they only taste "good" for so long. The picture of the "boys" is a good one! Jackson is really growing fast. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Hope you all have an enjoyable Sunday. The long weekend flew by for sure!

Jean -- in Iowa!

Last edited by Jean; 11-24-2007 at 11:54 PM.
Old 11-25-2007, 07:11 AM   #8  

Good morning all! Hope your weekend has gone well so far.

Jean: Long day sounds like. Glad your mom is doing well. I know you had to be worried about her. At least you got some shopping done for Christmas. I still have Jackson's stuff to get. Thomas's 5 books should be here next week sometime than I have all his stuff and just need to wrap it.

We did absolutely nothing yesterday except laze around. I have to get some stuff done today and get the "company" stuff put away like the high chair they never used! I want to get the paper plates and such put away and all that. We just didn't do anything yesterday at all.

It sounds like it is raining outside, but maybe I am imagining it. I haven't let Fortune out yet as he is still eating so I don't know. It was sure cold here yesterday and will probably be quite chilly today. I sometimes feel like I am in a cocoon since I don't leave the house much.

Well, I best get going. I have to get on top of things this morning!

THIRTY DAYS TIL CHRISTMAS!!!
Faye
Old 11-25-2007, 06:47 PM   #9  

Good Evening, Flowers! It was a sunny but windy day in my corner of the world today. We skipped church today. I evidently was really tired when I went to bed last night. I didn't set the alarm thinking I would wake up at my usual time and it was after 7 when I did look at the clock. It is rare for me to sleep that late. We worked at Santa's Castle from 1 - 4 this afternoon. It was pretty steady, but not near the crowd they had yesterday. I suppose people who had to travel visited yesterday and left town today. I have laundry going and tree decorations scattered around the livingroom. That might get done tomorrow night . . . maybe. Bob brought the boxes up thinking I wanted to do it this morning.

"Gma" -- It is work having company no doubt about it! I hope you got everything put away today. You had every right to be lazy yesterday. I am NOT ready for it to be Monday tomorrow! We have three weeks of classes left in the semester, a day of review for semester exams, three days of final exams, a make up day, and then it is "Winter" vacation time! I still call it Christmas vacation and so do the kids. We get one day short of two full weeks and three weekends.

Hope you all have a marvelous Monday tomorrow! Another week begins and the countdown 'til Christmas is on. Have a nice evening.

Jean -- in Iowa!

Last edited by Jean; 11-25-2007 at 06:47 PM.
Old 11-26-2007, 08:24 AM   #10  

Good morning all! Well, another beginning to the week. Jack will be off tomorrow as he has a doctor appt and he has to go out to Millington to get more barrier rings for my bags as I am out and it is the only thing that works.

Well, Memphis is again the fattest city in the country. Big surprise considering the food here. I hope that this next year I may be one of those that is no longer one of the fatties.

Jean: Sometimes we just need the extra sleep. Jack and I sat and watched a couple of back to back Christmas movies that were really cute then I crashed and fell asleep only I tossed and turned all night long so I am kind of tired this morning. It is really hard for me to sleep on my back and I can't sleep any other way until after the surgery again. Sleeping on my side or tummy will pull at the bag and cause it to come loose. Sometimes I sleep fine on my back, but a lot of times it causes me to have sleep apnea and "snort" a bit.

It poured down rain all day yesterday. We went out to eat for lunch and the minute we left it started to pour so of course we got wet before getting into the restaurant. It was a pleasant lunch, but I only eat about half what I have now.

I guess I better get going and start getting some small chores done. They don't do themselves!

Have a great start to the week!
Faye
Old 11-26-2007, 12:09 PM   #11  

Good morning, ladies! We seem to be having some crazy weather - 78 degrees on Thanksgiving, Friday is was 47 degrees, right now it's 62. We had a bit of rain on Friday evening.

Jean, I listen to books on tape while I walk - keeps me entertained and I often walk even more because I allow myself to listen to the tape only while walking. Got to have the carrot to keep me on track.

We had a great visit with out friends. She wanted to go shopping on Friday - of course, Stan's dialysis provided me with a great out. So her husband went with her. They left at 10 pm on Thanksgiving night to go to Prime Outlets which opened at midnight - and got back at 4 pm on Friday! Ate some turkey sandwiches and went to bed and slept until Saturday morning. I hate to shop at any time and you cannot pay me to go anywhere near the stores on Black Friday ... I set the alarm so I could be at Walmart by 7 am yesterday because I needed some medical supplies for Stan and groceries.

Faye, you need to be like me - if no one volunteers to help clean up, I assign chores and dare them to say no. Usually when it's time to get up from the table I say something like "okay, let's get the food put away and clean up and then we can sit and enjoy the rest of the day." I can't believe they left you to clean up after you have been so sick.

We have enough turkey left for one more meal, a few cranberries and that's it - I try not to cook too much anymore because Stan is iffy on eating. Some days he eats all that isn't nailed down, others the best he'll do is an Ensure.

Have a good day!
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 08:40 PM   #12  

Good Evening, Flowers! Bob is at a meeting so I am home alone this evening. I should start my cards, wrap some gifts, and do some much needed ironing, but it is more fun to sit and chat with you. It was a beautiful day in my neighborhood; a bit chilly this morning but I didn't have to wear my outer jacket after school since I wore a wool pant suit jacket today. I love this weather . . . no wind today!

"Gma" -- I was tired yesterday and I think it was because we were gone all day on Saturday. It's a good 2 1/2+ drive to my mom's and most of it is good old two lane highway with a stretch of interestate towards the end. It is deer season here and they are really spooky since the farmers have cleared out the fields. We saw several dead ones along the way. Bob can spot them in the ditches better than I can -- I must admit I tend to sleep in the car, at night, for some reason. I am not a back sleeper so can imagine how restless you must be trying to sleep that way.

Susan -- I'm with you on shopping. No one could pay me enough to battle the crowds on Black Friday! We don't do very well with left overs and Bob is better about them than I am. I'm not much of a meat eater and don't really care for turkey so he is eating that. I can do the salads and veggies ok. I'm glad you had a nice visit with your friends. I like your plan of assigning clean up chores.

I do need to put in another load of laundry. Have a nice evening and a terrific Tuesday tomorrow!

Jean -- in Iowa!
Old 11-27-2007, 09:21 AM   #13  

Good morning to you all! It is nice and sunny today, but a bit chilly. Of course it IS almost December!

Susan: I like listening to books on tape or CD when I walked too. It takes up the time and if you don't allow yourself to listen to it at home only when you walk and you get a book you really want to "read" you get out and do your walk and then some. It is a great way to get in your exercise everyday. I have still not progressed to walking a lot outside, but I really do miss it. I just have to get myself into a routine.

Jean: Deers are so unpredictable. I know, as I hit one two years ago and tore up the whole front of my car! He came out of nowhere and boom. Luckily, he didn't get hurt even though he tore up my car. We have a couple more meals than the rest of the food goes out. Jack takes it for lunch, but I haven't eaten it much. My dd took a lot with her so we don't have tons of waste.

Jack has a dr appt this afternoon so he is home today. I am going to go with him so I can find out about my meds. I got an email from my mail order prescription plan and they are sending my prescriptions back to me because they could never get the dr to provide the extra info. I am now about out of meds and the dr can't even find time to make a phone call and give them a # they need. It irks me so I am going in with him and find out what the heck is going on!!!!!

Jack and I were going to go out and get Jackson's toys this weekend, but we may just order them online and have them shipped directly to their house. We have to take Kelly's gifts for him and I don't know how big the boxes will be and we have to take the rocker and all our bags etc. We have lots to get done before then so we have to figure it all out.

Well this isn't getting morning chores done so I better get to it.

Have a good Tuesday!
Faye
Old 11-27-2007, 12:13 PM   #14  

Good morning ladies!

Speaking of deer, we are inundated with them here. A couple of years ago, my boss was riding his bicycle along Colonial Parkway and a deer ran out and hit him! Deer was fine. Boss ended up in the hospital with internal bleeding and needed surgery for that an on his rotor cuff. Local paper ran a story about the man who was run over by a deer.

Another nice day today - nearing 70 degrees. I have more buds on my rose bushes. Guess Al Gore would say it's due to global warming!

Faye, we finally rented "Ratatouille". It was really cute.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 11:03 PM   #15  

Good Evening, Flowers! We ate an early supper and I promptly fell asleep in front of the TV. Two hours later the cat woke me up when she came to sit with me. I sure didn't get anything done towards Christmas tonight! It's almost time to head off to bed!

"Gma" -- You are smart to have Jackson's Christmas shipped to his house. He won't know the difference and it would save a lot of space in the trunk for other stuff.

Susan -- It was 12 degrees this morning when I left for school! The sun was out but it didn't warm up much during the day. I'm ready for spring! The deer running over your boss was funny even though he was hurt and ended up in the hospital. I feel sorry for the deer when they crash through store windows and run through the store.

I need to fold a load of towels and then I'm heading to bed. Have a wonderful Wednesday tomorrow!

Jean -- in Iowa!