Old 11-23-2007, 11:10 AM   #1  
I'm Big, God is Bigger!

S/C/G: 289/275/200

Height: 5'3"

Default What has happened? Need encouragement :(

I don't understand! I was doing sooo good. My real starting weight was 289lbs. and I got down to 262lbs. Now I am back up to about 270lbs. I know that I have not been watching exactly what I eat, but I definetly have not been pigging out like I used to. I am so frustrated. I know some women that are alot smaller than me and they could lose alot of weight on what I am eating. I actually did pretty good yesterday. Only had one peice of pie and it was sugar free. I am feeling so discouraged. Help!
rachelfern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 11:26 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Do not beat yourself up over this , you can start over. You need a sensible eating plan, one piece of pie day is not a healthy way to eat,even for non dieters. To lose weight you need to eat less and exercise and you will lose. Eating less does not mean eating only one meal a day. There are many good diet programs to help you in your desire to lose.It is OK to experiment til you find the one that works best for you. I have done many different diets and have found calorie counting works best for me.Calorie counting isreliable. flexible and free. Many are doing well on WW or South Beach and there are others, check them out. You need to be healthy for that little boy. Good luck.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 11:30 AM   #3  

I don't think she means she had one piece of pie as all her food for the day. I think she is saying she didn't pig out on Thanksgiving desserts.

What plan are you on if you don't mind me asking? If you aren't on a "plan", maybe you need to consider something structured. It is very, very easy to think you are doing better than you are with food choices if you are not keeping track. I am on WW and keep a food diary and count everything that goes into my mouth. Until I started that, I was where you are.

Keep the faith!
katmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 11:32 AM   #4  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

bargoo, I think rachelfern means she only had one piece of pie on Thanksgiving. And that's a good thing.

Rachelfern, good for you for catching yourself now, before you gain any more back.

It doesn't matter what anyone else "can" eat--the only thing that matters is what you can eat to lose weight or at least not gain. As you've just noticed, it's harder to do that than you might have thought.

Many 3FC members track their eating using FitDay or TheDailyPlate or some other online tool. But whether you use them or not, it really does help to track what you eat exactly. Many folks have found that "not watching exactly" what they eat means that they gain weight, until they have had some practice at it.

Good luck!

Jay

Last edited by JayEll; 11-23-2007 at 12:38 PM.
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 11:32 AM   #5  

Height: 5'8

Rachel, part of it is that our bodies adjust when we cut back on calories. I find it helps not to focus too much on the scale and instead, focus on the habits (exercise, portion control, etc.) It will eventually work if we just stick to it consistently. For example, I've only lost 5 pounds since May, even though I've been consistent, but I've started to fit into some size 14 clothes (down from 16) and a number of people say that I look like I've lost weight and are kind of suprised when I tell them the 5 lb no (they think it's more). And my cholesterol and blood pressure are lower. I got more consistent with weights/strength training during this time too, so I think I'm developing more muscle, which may account for some of the discrepancy. Also, I tell myself I didn't gain this weight overnight, I'm not going to lose it overnight either.

Last edited by nylisa; 11-23-2007 at 11:49 AM.
nylisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 11:44 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 254

Height: 5'9

what can you do for today..write something small,just a small step and stick to that plan today...if you pile on too much,if you beat yourself up,you most likely will not do well...

we cant throw our hands up and walk away from this,our "ASSets" are attached...it goes where ever we go...we can either shrink it or grow it...

what about taking a picture or two to kind of remind you of where you are,where you were and what you want...and weigh yourself...

but I do understand...the road here,was not that bad or scary,we let things slide,we enjoyed a party or two even a few pitty parties,but we got here,and getting it off now,is incredibly hard...its a personal journey that I was avoiding to begin with...but...I guess....like I said,I cant walk away,my life doesnt stop because I quit...ugh...I do feel your pain..

take a picture...write in your journal...write a book if you have to...just do something that makes you feel okay today..

Lannae
Lannae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 11:51 AM   #7  
I'm Big, God is Bigger!

Thank you all for replying so quickly! Yes I did mean that I had one piece of pie for Thanksgiving. There is no way that I could do a piece of pie a day. I am a diabetic. Wow that would kill me in no time!

I had been counting calories on thedailyplate.com. I absolutely love that site, but recently we lost our internet. My husband just got a job and hasn't had one since January this year. We just couldn't afford it anymore. I take care of my gma and she has internet though. With my husband's new job though we have a free membership to the local YMCA.

I know that my mom's side of the family does not have the greatest metabolism and I am sure I got it from her. In October of 2004 my mom had bariatric surgery.

My real desire is to get healthy to have another baby. and be healthy for them and myself.

Bargoo, I am not trying to make you feel bad, but Lincoln is my daughter and she is now in Heaven. Thank you very much for the thoughts though.
Old 11-23-2007, 11:56 AM   #8  
I feel fantastic!

S/C/G: 320/ticker/180

Height: 5' 10"

I'd highly suggest using one of the online food tracking programs. I used to think I wasn't eating a lot until I actually did start tracking my food. After about a week of tracking I understood why I was weighing as much as I was, it was a real eye-opener.

Exercising and reducing the caloric intake does work, I was one of those people who thought I'd never lose weight and I've managed to take off almost 60 lbs since Aug 1 of this year. Give tracking the calories on one of these sites a try, it's easy and it can teach you a lot about what you're doing that may be causing the weight to creep up on you.

Good luck and don't give up, you can do it!
Booskie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 12:36 PM   #9  

Rachel, I am so sorry, my sincerest apology.
Old 11-23-2007, 12:41 PM   #10  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

rachelfern, next time you can get on the internet, you could pay to download FitDay. It is not that expensive, and then you will have it on your home computer all the time and won't need to worry about internet access. Also, the downloaded version has some neat features.

I'm so sorry to hear about Lincoln.

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 01:00 PM   #11  
I'm Big, God is Bigger!

Thank you! I will talk to my husband about it!

I am going to put up a new siggy on so ppl can see my angel!
Old 11-23-2007, 03:00 PM   #12  

You could also keep track with a pen and a pad. A little $8 book calorie king book. You just have to hang in there and keep trying, I'm sorry for your loss, and I hope things improve in your life.
kimmieone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 04:20 PM   #13  

I use calorieking and the good old pen and tablet, so I can use it anytime and don't need to be at my computer.
Lincoln is a truly beautiful angel.Thank you so much for sharing her with us.I looked at some of your other posts and see that you have been thru a lot. My hope and prayer is that your future will be much happier.
Old 11-23-2007, 05:26 PM   #14  
I'm Big, God is Bigger!

Thank you very much! You can read her story and see plenty of pics of her.

http://lincoln-grace.memory-of.com
Old 11-23-2007, 08:53 PM   #15  
Focus

S/C/G: 296/ticker/199/

Height: 5'4

I just read about your little girl and looked at those pictures. She is one of the prettiest little girls I have even seen. I can only imagine what it would be like to lose a child. God is the only one that can help you get through this. I know you must have comfort in your heart knowing she is a heavenly angel....no more pain....no more tears. I know you will always miss her but God knows best!!!
Dumplin is offline   Reply With Quote