Old 10-23-2007, 03:45 PM   #1  
I'm a Weight Watcher Now

S/C/G: 200/165/144

Height: 5'3"

Default Major Hair Loss

I did low carb for 3 months and noticed my hair began to fall out rapidly. My doctor said it was the diet. I'm switching over to Weight Watchers now because I don't want to have really really thin hair. So, if any one on the diet is experiencing this, it is because of the low carbs. Vitamins wont help, it's just the diet. Some get it, some don't. Your hair wont completely fall out, it'll just get very thin.

Last edited by Mylifeinthemovie; 10-23-2007 at 03:50 PM.
Mylifeinthemovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 03:56 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 236/ticker/135

Height: 5'3"

I'm not low-carbing, but I am finding my hair is coming out quite a lot. I'm plateaued big time, but my hair is still falling out.
ChrissyBean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 04:37 PM   #3  
Reformed Quitter

S/C/G: 302/267/155

Height: 5' 8"

Boy! Do I know what you're talking about!

I suffered this problem too when I dropped 125 pounds in 5 months in 1993.

I even took a picture of my bathroom sink covered in hair to my doctor's office and he said it was nothing to be worried about... Probably because he was just so thrilled that I'd finally lost the weight he'd been talking to me about for so long...

Then, one night I was up late and heard Richard Simmons mention his own hair loss during an interview he was doing for one of his (diet/exercise) programs so I wrote him a letter - A few days after I mailed the letter he called me at work!

Richard Simmons was very kind as he explained that hair loss is caused by dieting when we don't take in the proper nutrients and PROTEIN our body needs.

Richard Simmons suggested I step up my protein intake (I ate more eggs, chicken, turkey) and it worked! My hair stopped falling out within 2 weeks and my brush was no longer full of hair. I was so confused by what happened before I spoke to Richard Simmons; after all, I told him, I'd never seen a bald anorexic, so why me?!

Are you taking a multi-vitamin? I take GNC's Women's Ultra Mega every day. I noticed right away that these vitamins give me lots of energy and stabilize my blood sugar throughout the day so I don’t have the cravings and hunger pains I had before I began taking them. The bottle also says they aid in the production of electrolyte replacement, and bone health with antioxidant support. It's also one of the few vitamins I've found that has timed release.

I also take a tablespoon of Flax Seed Oil with juice in the morning. Google these things to decide if it may help you too.

I hope I've helped!

Be well,

Janet

Last edited by CABunnyGirl; 10-23-2007 at 04:39 PM.
CABunnyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 05:24 PM   #4  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

Hair loss can happen on ANY diet...not just low carb! I have been on low carb for 3 and a half years...i have hair passed my waist and it is not thin. If anything the protein has tremendously helped my hair, nails & skin!!!
JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 02:19 PM   #5  
Hello Friend

S/C/G: 230/205/140

Height: 5'7"

I'ts true Hair loss can be caused by ANY diet, not specificly Lowcarb. My hair seems to by nicer and healthier when on a LC plan. I also take vitamins and get plenty of protien and good oils. It also improves my skin.
Puncezilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 06:32 AM   #6  

Rapid weight loss on any diet can cause this, as most everyone else has said. You won't go bald and your hair won't stay thinned out. What falls out will be replaced with new growth. I speak from experience. I had this happen last year. My hair is growing back. Funny thing, my new growth is actually curly! Go figure. So now I have more body to my hair than I did before. And I think the low carb helps my hair and nails to look better than ever... more protien in my diet!
alie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 09:28 AM   #7  
Lovin' Life

S/C/G: 300/too much/155

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mylifeinthemovie View Post
I did low carb for 3 months and noticed my hair began to fall out rapidly. My doctor said it was the diet. I'm switching over to Weight Watchers now because I don't want to have really really thin hair. So, if any one on the diet is experiencing this, it is because of the low carbs. Vitamins wont help, it's just the diet. Some get it, some don't. Your hair wont completely fall out, it'll just get very thin.
Mine did the opposite!! When I eat low carb, my hair is unbelievably full and for some reason, very very curly. You can actually see the new hairs growing in after about 3 weeks. Pretty amazing.

The more sugar I eat (especially wine) it falls out by the handfuls in the shower...scarry stuff!

Last edited by RobinW; 10-28-2007 at 09:29 AM.
RobinW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007, 08:14 PM   #8  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Same here Robin, my hair and nails got REALLLLY nice while low carbing....not to mention my joints didn't hurt.
Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 02:26 PM   #9  
KO
In Pursuit of Divatude!

I'm focussing on my protein again and definitely looking forward to less achy joints and a fuller mane
KO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 12:45 AM   #10  
KLK
Karen: La Cicciona

S/C/G: Sz 24-26 / Sz 12-14 / Sz 6-8

Height: 5' 4"

My hair thinned around my part during my initial weightloss in 2004 and it was very embarassing (to me, people I asked claimed not to even notice it), but it HAS grown back (about 80%). I've been on a low-carb diet for about 6 weeks and my hair seems fine so far. I think I am eating more calories this time around than I did in 2004 when I was on a low-fat diet, which might have something to do with my hairloss. I think I'm eating more healthy now than I did then (getting more vitamins, minerals, etc.)
KLK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 12:28 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 200/Ticker/135

Height: 5'5" / Low Carb WOE

I've noticed that my hair, nails and skin seem to all have improved since I began low-carb about 6 weeks ago. However, I am not only taking vitamins but drinking a LOT more water than I ever have.
snapless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 10:55 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 182/176/144

Height: 5'4"

I color my hair and it grows faster on low carb, high protien. Hello gray!

If your hair is coming out, try to add gelatin to your diet in some fashion. It helps hair and nails.

Take good care of yourself, pamper yourself with a good book, bath, quiet walks, meditation, yoga, good movie, massage (even if you have to hijack a chair at the mall)~ try to destress.

I am going to get a nice cup of tea and settle in for the night with a silly movie.

Take time to relax, you are beauiful with or without hair, nails, makeup, wrinkles, in sweats or an evening gown!
Squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 01:32 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 180/173/150

Height: 5'4"

for me hair loss is an inherited defect that i just have to accept...BUT! ever since i started the LCD, ive noticed my hair is a lot thicker and fluffier...YAY! that makes me very happy...so, take into consideration that there could be other influences causing the loss of hair...

FYI: the birth control pill caused me to lose hair like crazy! im not bald or anything, but it was still noticable...

Last edited by Shugy247; 07-12-2008 at 01:32 AM.
Shugy247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 03:02 PM   #14  
Kate113

S/C/G: 255/220/160

Height: 5' 8"

I started low carb about 4 weeks ago and in the past week I have definitely noticed hair loss. When I comb or brush my hair at least 20 to 30 hairs fall out. I hope this is just temporary. I'm confused though because I thought that hair was made out of protein so shouldn't your hair get stronger when consuming a high protein diet?
kate113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 03:25 PM   #15  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

The situation is temporary and its not just a characteristic of low carb dieting...but...of dieting in general. Basically, your body needs to adjust to your weight loss however, it should be a temporary situation. I personally have found that taking 5000 mcg a day of Biotin has helped tremendously.
JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote