Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 11-22-2007, 01:01 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 220/148/140(ATM)

Height: 5'2" on a good day

Default Gaining Weight While on a Diet

Hey guys!

I'm new here admittedly, I've been reading the forum for the past week and, suffice to say, you guys are an inspiration. So far I was happy with dieting, but seeing th c25k crowd really made me want to get off my *** and /do/ something! However, doing something caused a bit of a problem I am confused about.

Ahem, anyways, well, I did do something. I am currently on the 3hour diet at home. The food is wonderful, I am steadily losing 1 pound a day before smoothing out to nearly half a pound a day. That is still rapid and sufficient for me.

Yesterday I did the first C25K run - it was wonderful, I was tired, sweaty but felt /good/, like I could do the rest of it. Unfortunately as a way to um, congratulate myself, I had an extra snack - a non-fat vanilla yogurt. When I weighed myself today however, I gained a pound! I figured the yogurt was bad, but really, gaining a whole pound?

Could messing with my diet that simply really affect my weight loss? I figured my first day of exercise would at least help burn off the yogurt. Did any of you went through that? Figured out what was the problem? Or should I stop weighing myself everyday? (although, weighing myself everyday usually tells me if I am messing up or not, like today.)

Any help, advice, or even stories of similar anomalies and situations would be incredibly helpful! Thanks!
DesertTabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007, 01:27 PM   #2  
Maintaining :)

S/C/G: 215/117/120

Height: 5'4"

Oh, yes - the scale is very fickle. I can be POP (perfectly on plan) and see the scale go up. So much of our weight is water. Water is necessary for many of the processes you are asking your body to do more of these days - burning fat, building muscle, flushing toxins, etc. Consequently, you can't trust that pesky scale to give you accurate fat loss information.
You did great! The yogurt was not 3500 calories - which is what you would need to eat to gain a lb.

If you are going to weigh yourself daily, get ready for a roller-coaster ride. Because that scale will bounce up and down and drive you crazy if you let it!

Last edited by CountingDown; 11-22-2007 at 01:28 PM.
CountingDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007, 01:40 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

There are many reasons why our weights flucuates from day to day and even during the day.

Fluid balance is perhaps the most common. One pound is only less than half a liter of water.

Yogurt is a wonderful healthful food. Unless you ate 1 pound and then stepped on the scale ... that's not it.

There are a couple of good rationale for weighing yourself everyday, but to judge your calorie intake from yesterday is not one of them.

More than likely you are just suffering the vagarities of the human body. It's really better to judge appropriate weight loss over a more extended period of time.
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007, 01:54 PM   #4  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

Yes - the body changes day to day. It is unreasonable to expect your scale to go down each and every day. Water in your body, from eating too much salt to being dehydrated to TOM, can make a huge difference in weight. A one day variation is nothing to worry about, so relax.

Congratulations on starting an exercise program! Try not to worry so much about the scale. If you stay on plan, it will submit eventually, even if there are a few blips along the way.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007, 01:55 PM   #5  
tamIam

S/C/G: size16/size14/size10

Height: 5'7"

I'm one of those people who could simply not weigh myself everyday. I worry way way too much.I think I'd start to judge myself too critically if I did. Worrying about a pound here or there as a result of water or whatever the case is, sort of takes away from the big picture for me. This is a long long process so I just can't be bothered to worry about one day to the next. A week would be more reasonable for me, but that's only my little two cents.
greeneggsandtam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007, 02:19 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 220/148/140(ATM)

Height: 5'2" on a good day

Wow, thanks for the great replies guys! Suffice to say that helped me out a lot and eased some of my fears; I've been on and off the wagon for most of the year (but at least I kept the weight mostly off when I was off the wagon.)

Admittedly I check my weight everyday mainly cause A) I get over-excited (Ooooo! How much did I lose /this/ day?! - I'm such a kid sometimes, I swear.) and B) It helps to keep me motivated. I noticed that the reason I gained so much weight was perhaps due to my fear of TEH SCALE! ...Ahem, apparently I am still afraid of it (as this post can attest) but I am slowly trying to conquer it.

Thanks again guys! Hearing that I need to eat 3500 calories to gain a pound did make me blush about this post. Ahem, guess I was panicking a bit too soon! I am just so excited about this diet. But! Even more motivation to keep on runnin'!
DesertTabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007, 02:22 PM   #7  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Hey!

You might want to read ennay's excellent Sticky post on why body weight fluctuates:

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=115826

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007, 03:33 PM   #8  
Finding My Bliss

S/C/G: Fit & Fat!

Height: Tall & Strong, Baby!

All the best things have been said already.

I don't own a scale. Perhaps after I get closer to my goal, I will get one, but for now I weigh in only once a week. Works for me!
SoulBliss is offline   Reply With Quote