Weight Loss News and Current Events Discuss the latest weight loss news headlines and major events.

Old 11-21-2007, 03:39 AM   #1  
Geek and like it.

Location: i am neither greek nor athenian, but a citizen of the world.

Default thirty mins exercise a day not enough?

Thoughts on this, anyone?

http://media.www.utcecho.com/media/s...d-449972.shtml
Me23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 10:25 AM   #2  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I think that article or a similar one has been passed around (that particular article is 4 years old).

Yes it would seem that 30 minutes of daily exercise is less than ideal BUT I recently saw something where the average american gets 17 minutes of exercise per day. I'm not sure what factored into that average either so it may be lower than that.

So if you aren't doing any, then any amount of exercise is better than none and 30 minutes per day would be an amazing improvement for many people.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 10:34 AM   #3  
Geek and like it.

oops, didn't see the date on it - well, it's new to me
17 minutes? what, including *everything*?
Grim...
Old 11-21-2007, 11:07 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

I have an unwaivering faith that human beings will under shoot a goal almost every time. Especially, fitness goals. In fact I find the 17 minutes quite high sounding. But I suppose those of us who do exercise almost daily will bring that average up, as will having folks say it out loud.

Pessimism aside, if articles like these induce folks to exercise just a few minutes more ... it's good. In fact it would be a huge benefit to human kind if the average was 30 minutes, yes?
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 11:17 AM   #5  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Susan,

I was thinking more people would count things like grocery shopping or walking to their car as exercise, as I think that 17 min number is high as well.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 11:28 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

I remember when I first discovered fitday. I entered showering and towelling off
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 01:02 PM   #7  
Geek and like it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SusanB View Post
I remember when I first discovered fitday. I entered showering and towelling off
LOL!
See, that's called thinking positive
Old 11-21-2007, 01:39 PM   #8  
it's always something

From what I recall, they tried including housework and other normal activities in the 30 minutes and most americans still couldn't reach goal Plus, that 30 minute recommendation is generally for people at a normal weight that have never been overweight, who are just trying to do the minimum amount to stay healthy and try to ward off illness. Once you take weight loss and maintenance into consideration, we need a minimum of 60 to 90 minutes most days of the week
Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 03:09 PM   #9  
Rosebud

S/C/G: 30/Goal Met:L-XL/relosing some

Default More exercise ...

SUE ~ I know I'm a bit late commenting on this article, but a nurse friend recommends a minimum of 50+ minutes a day of walking becuz that's how long it takes to burn up an extra 200 C's daily! I thought the same as you

Guess I'd better get movin' and shakin' ...
Justwant2Bhealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 07:31 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 267/see ticker/139

The 2005 FDA Dietary Guidelines note the following:

To reduce the risk of chronic disease in adulthood: Engage in 30 minutes of moderate-intensity physical activity; above usual activity, at work or home on most days. For most people, greater health benefits can be obtained by engaging in physical activity of more vigourus intensity or longer duration.

To help manage body weight and prevent gradual, unhealthy body weight gain in adulthood: Engage in approximately 60 minutes of moderate-to vigorous-intensity activity on most days of the week while not exceeding caloric intake requirements.

To sustain weight loss in adulthood: Participate in at least 60 to 90 minutes of daily moderate-intensity physical activity while not exceeding caloric intake requirements.
lorilove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 11:56 AM   #11  
Eye of the Tiger!

S/C/G: 205/175/146

Height: 5'10

I don't know why there have to be so many rules for diet and weight loss, it just seems to confuse people. I do a 30 minute work out dvd and sweat my butt off "literally I hope." And I have changed my diet to where I am still eating the smaller portions of everything I ate before, and I am eating the fat free versions. I am losing weight and getting toned, I love it! 30 minutes seems to be enough for me, but I think that eventually I will be fit and need to up my work out. I think that when people put all of these rules for weight loss on themselves that they may be getting overwhelming and they give up because it seems like too much work. I tell my friends, 'any exercise is better than none'.
wannabeahotmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 04:38 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 267/see ticker/139

I don't think there are any rules - just lots of guidelines. Many of these guidelines are based on scientific research.

Weightloss is definitely personal. It is not so cut and dry that there is only one solution that fits everyone. If that were the case then it would not be a multibillion dollar industry.

Individuals need to consider all guidelines and adjust them accordingly to fit their lifestyle and personal issues. This is obviously what you have done.

I think weightloss success is based on an idividual being real with themselves and realizing there is no simple solution or quick fix. In general, people that say they have tried and can't lose weight in most cases are not good at figuring this out for themselves.

Lori
lorilove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 12:40 AM   #13  
Smartypants

Man maybe I misunderstood but I find that info highly depressing and discouraging... an hour a day to manage weight, and it has to be vigirous? Crazy. I guess I side with Lori... I just cannot accept this is a one size fits all thing. True, I am doing an hour a day - 2 miles every night with Leslie, but still... it makes me wonder - if the FDA, who should well know weight loss or maintenance is not a one size fits all, why they address it as such. Am I way off base here?
txangelgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 09:09 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 195/ticker/155

I know what you meen, Has anyone ever seen the movie/documentary by oprah, called " making the connection? In there she said to lose weight, you have to exersize in the "zone" for 60 mins 6 days a week. That seems a little out there. I personally think that if I for my activity level get at leST 30 -45 MINS 5 days a week Ill be happy for now, then when your body gets used to that, then step it up!! I think its different for each individual and their weight and there way of life. But im not an expert... So any other suggestions?
skinnyvanilly2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 07:16 PM   #15  
Working My Way Back Down

I agree that these are guidelines, and that they are not true for everyone. What really bothers me though is that the government puts them out there like an absolute, and many people assume that they need to do that from the get-go! They throw up their hands and don't do anything! The small steps program (or whatever it's called) is much better. Getting people to do anything more than they're doing now. Once they're in the habit of moving/exercising at any level, it's easier to convince them to add a little more rather than pronouncing "you must exercise 60-90 minutes a day!"
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote