Old 10-23-2007, 09:03 AM   #1  

Default ? for Beach-goers with high cholesterol

Hi everyone,

I've used SBD successfully after each of my 2 children were born. However, the youngest is almost 3 now and the weight has crept back to the tune of 25 - 30 lbs. To make things more complicated, this time around I've been informed that I need to watch my cholesterol.

I've been working with a low cal high fiber plan for about a week but I still want to look into doing SBD again.....the thing is all that cheese and all those eggs.....OY!

I know Dr. A sais his plan improves cholesterol and if I follow it correctly and switch to egg beaters, stay with light cheese only and lean meats (there goes my fave SBD meals....steak and eggs.....a burger with a salad) that is probably correct.

BUT I would feel better hearing it from someone else, you know, someone who has actually improved their cholesterol on SBD and is a real person not a promotional blurb in the diet book.

Thanks in advance for any stories or input, I really appreciate it!

Cathy
CAR73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 09:54 AM   #2  

When I first started on South Beach, my cholesterol was 246, my triglycerides were very high and my good cholesterol was low. Even though I have not managed to lose all the weight that I should, my cholesterol is normal and has been for years by staying on South Beach.

I still occasionally eat eggs but I eat Eggbeaters more often. I eat lean meats. I eat oatmeal for breakfast almost every morning and that is felt to help cholesterol. The olive oil has helped raise my good cholesterol.

You can make burgers with lean meat. Just look for a lean cut of meat with your steak. This way of eating truly does work for helping your cholesterol.
Barb0522 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 11:53 AM   #3  

Thanks Barb!
CAR73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 02:06 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 261/252/145

Height: 5'4"

I did not have high cholesterol, but my husband did. Although he is not purely on South Beach, he kind of follows it with me and eats what I cook every day, and I cook the same meal for everybody. His cholesterol is much better now, almost normal.
You can still have those things you like. As Barb said, egg beaters, lowfat cheese, lean steak, lean hamburger or ground chicken or turkey. He only likes things that taste good and hasn't had a problem with any of these.
Schmoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 08:05 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 155/141/138

Height: 5'7"

My doctor put me on SBD due to higher than normal blood work numbers (cholesterol, glucose, triglicerides, etc) last fall. Six weeks after being on SB all of the numbers were down into the preferred range. It does work.

I followed the plan - 2 weeks at Phase 1 (with a Thanksgiving Day cheat ) and then right into Phase 2 - lean mean, veggies, whole grains, fruit, low fat dairy, and real eggs. If I wanted a type of cheese and could not find low fat, I bought what I needed (only) used it and choose a different recipie for the next week. Real eggs are a "cheap" food and I did not want to replace them with an egg product, I occasionally use one egg white to every whole egg.

Ally
amasam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 06:09 PM   #6  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

I do watch my cheese and usually use eggbeaters as well. I consider most cheese like nuts - small lowfat portions a couple times a day, not "ALL THAT CHEESE".

I eat oatmeal and exercise A LOT and have brought my weight down well in to the healthy zone and FINALLY after 15 years of high cholesterol I have normal cholesterol.
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 06:20 PM   #7  
Finding My Bliss

S/C/G: Fit & Fat!

Height: Tall & Strong, Baby!

I'm not a "Beacher" but just wanted to say it's really nice to read that so many have been able to healthfully regulate their BP, blood sugar and cholesterol with diet and lifestyle!!!
SoulBliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 11:43 AM   #8  
Angela

S/C/G: 203/195/185- mini goal

Height: 5 7

I can't say I've mastered it but I'm trying and the "beach" has been such a blessing.
lostchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 10:59 PM   #9  
Pregnant w/PCOS

S/C/G: On Hold

Height: 5'4

I know this is an older thread but wanted to chime in. This is my second time doing SBD the right way. I have PCOS with insulin resistance along with other issues like high cholestrol. My number was 305 before I started SBD the first time and was down to 270 a few weeks later.

This was eating eggs, cheese, and the works. I am cheap so eggbeaters wasn't in my budget
LoveMySgt is offline   Reply With Quote