South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 11-16-2007, 12:56 PM   #1  
doing it for real

S/C/G: 206/206/150

Height: 5ft7in

Default do you feel like this is something you can stick with?

or if you stray from the plan a little bit, do the pounds come piling back on?

I am thinking about trying south beach... mostly because I have tried a lot of different diets: calorie counting, weigh watchers, etc, with very little results. I am hesitant to jump in with both feet, only to feel like this isn't something I could stick with.

Is there any counting or measuring involved?

Have you seen the results you were hoping for?

Is it hard to stick to?

I know I need to read the book, but I want to get some ideas of what the diet is like even before I do that. Thanks for the help, ladies!
Piper129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 01:04 PM   #2  
HAPPY HEALTHY ME

S/C/G: 215.4/-/165

Height: 5'2"

Piper welcome! I have been doing South Beach since May 6 and in 4 months I lost 21lbs which I would say is a pretty steady pace. Yes this is very easy to stick with beacuse there is no calorie counting as far as measuring I wouldn't go over board on you portion size but do eat til you feel full. I feel that checking in here every day helps me stay on track. Good luck and keep us posted on your success.
GONNABE165 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 01:21 PM   #3  
Working on healthy

Height: 5'5.5

Welcome Piper!

I've been on SBD since 10/1 and have lost 20 lbs already. I've dieted since I was 12 so might be an expert (though I suspect I would need to be thin to be an expert So far I have found this to be the easiest diet to stick to. For me following the plan has actually reduced my eating frenzys. I tend to be kind of compulsive about food, especially late in the afternoon. With this plan I haven't had to fight that at all because, after the first week, it was gone. The mandatory snacks early on -really- helped too. This is also the first diet that hasn't left me hungry in the middle of the night. I actually have trouble eating enough some days, and if you look at my starting weight you can guess that isn't something that I've experienced a lot!

I do think it helps to like vegetables, especially the bulky veggies like greens and cabbage. In my case it helps that my sweetie is diabetic, so I was eating most of my bad carbs away from home.

My hope in choosing SBD is that it -is- a plan I can live with forever because anything less will just lead me to yet another diet failure.

This group is great too! The support here really makes a difference.
Cyndi
CyndiM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 06:01 PM   #4  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

South Beach has cured my pre-diabetes and revolutionized the way I eat.

I followed SBD strictly for about 4 months after the birth of my first child and now I follow my own diet but highly SBD based (I refuse to use artificial sweeteners and I am an endurance athlete, so there is some variation right there). And it is my "core diet". Right now I have been struggling with my eating so I am returning to phase I for a few days to work the kinks out.

Following SBD becomes easy over time. The one thing I would say is the book is not as up to date as the website. He has changed the diet and it is not all reflected in the book. Dairy and legumes are not as emphasized in the book as they are in the website. Portion sizes are also more covered on the website (not that you have to measure, but approximate sizes and if you have more meat, you ALSO have more veggies - it isnt a meat-extravaganza!) Hopefully you can supplement the book with 3FC and get all you need to know!

Last edited by ennay; 11-16-2007 at 06:04 PM.
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 06:53 PM   #5  
-

S/C/G: Size 16 to 18/Size 6/I'm there

Height: 5"3" Age: 55

Been "on the beach" for about 8 months now. Love it and don't plan on EVER going back to the way I used to eat. I feel a zillion times better and look a zillion times better (and younger) I plan on eating "old traditional food" that I love on Thanksgiving and Christmas ONLY ....the rest of the year it's SB!!

I love to cook and love to eat, so it's just perfect for me. My husband (who is a stick) also has loved what I've been cooking, so it's win-win.

As to your questions:
Nope, no counting.
results: down a few sizes, almost at my goal size.
VERY easy to stick to for me. The weight (in my case) has NOT come off very rapidly, but very steadily...sometimes it stalls, then boom a few lbs drop. I know not to get discouraged now when I hit a stall and that it comes off when it's good and ready to. I really don't think about it much any more. It's just the way I eat and it's habit now.

Last edited by femmecreole; 11-16-2007 at 06:58 PM.
femmecreole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 09:25 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 261/252/145

Height: 5'4"

I've been on the beach for almost 6 mos. now. I find it very easy to follow. It's a great way to eat, I feel like I eat very well and am not deprived at all. There is a learning curve, but once you get things figured out it becomes much easier. I think you will do best on the plan if you like to cook and experiment. I feel like lots of the changes I've made will be a permanent part of my life.
No counting or measuring. Just "normal" portions
Results: 40 lbs in five months
Schmoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 10:16 PM   #7  

Height: 5' 7"

I have been on the beach since middle of January and I love it- before I came onboard my sugar levels would drop and I would get the jitters and shakes- got tested but everything came back normal- but since I have been on the beach I have not had one episode of my sugar level dropping- I have lost 34 lbs so far- very slow and steady with plateaus but I don't really feel like I am on a diet it is a lifestyle and I have come to enjoy different foods and I feel great.
Pearlrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 01:11 PM   #8  
Angela

S/C/G: 203/195/185- mini goal

Height: 5 7

PearlRose Thanks for that post. I too have been having sugar problems but everything comes back normal. (sigh... It's not normal to have shakes and jitters!) Since starting SB last month I have not had one episode. I'm on the right track. Piper I'm new and the weight is what it is but I'm sure mine will catch up sooner or later. It's how healthy I feel right now. It will be harder if you don't like your
lostchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 07:31 PM   #9  

I feel that it is pretty easy to stick to. At first, it can be tough to "give up" the foods you've loved. Then you see the results, and it is easier and easier to make better eatting choices for yourself. I have a cheat once a week on saturday, which makes it a bit easier- I only give it to myself if I was good for the rest of the week (eating, excercising, etc)

Definetly give it a try, it's the best diet I've been on.
audrabolster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 10:35 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 222/=ticker=/150

Height: 5'7"

I find it very easy to stick with. Then again, I love veggies. I think SBD is only difficult if you don't like veggies. Eventually, you re-introduce things like bread and cereal, as well as, other carbs. The most difficult part of the diet is eliminating excess sugars. The funny thing is that once you are on SB for awhile when you try to eat something sweet, it's just too sweet. I had banana bread for the first time in a long time and I couldn't handle the sugar rush.lol The banana bread was home made.

Last edited by browneyedgirl77; 11-18-2007 at 10:38 PM.
browneyedgirl77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 10:49 PM   #11  
bnn

S/C/G: 127/117/110

Height: 5'1"

Just try it!! You have nothing to loose---except the weight. I never thought I could give up bread, pasta, etc for phase I & II being Italian and all but I did!!! I always used to do weight watchers and what a pain keeping track of points and when I think of all the points I use on p'nut butter, olives, cheese, and eggs (all goodies I love) and still loose the weight; I still can't believe it. I lost 15 lbs the first time on this diet last year. I did gain it back and to be honest it is my fault. I have 3 kids and I kept nibbling at their snacks and finishing their meals, so I'm not surprised that I've gained it back but I'm back on for 1 week and I plan NOT to cheat on Thanksgiving because I am so sure that I won't have to. (I will cheat on Christmas because I WANT to) and will be a few more lbs down by then. Let us know how you do if you decide to give this a try.
bnn is offline   Reply With Quote