Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 11-18-2007, 07:40 PM   #1  

Default Im hungry ALL the time.

This cant be normal! Today was one of the worst, but mostly..I feel hungry constantly..I havent eaten bad because of it, I stay away from the stuff that I shouldnt eat, and I eat the stuff that I should...but I eat all my "good" stuff because Im SO hungry. Im getting afraid that im not doing something right...am I not eating the right stuff?

Today I had a bowl of oatmeal for breakfast, Fruit and cottege cheese for lunch, an orange and an apple when I got home..nothing I eat has satasfied me, and its driving me nuts..I want to cry, cause all I want to do is eat..I havent had dinner, but Ill probably have lentil soup or something.

Does anyone else have this problem? Is there anything special that you do. I drink water all day, that doesnt help my hunger..I try to eat 3 meals, plus 3 snacks...

I just dont know what to do, and Im afraid Im going to give in and start eating to much, and the wrong things again.

Last edited by makinthechange; 11-18-2007 at 07:44 PM.
makinthechange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 07:46 PM   #2  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

Have you thought about getting some more protein in your day? Oatmeal is very low, the cottage cheese helps, but having protein with each meal and snack can do fantastic things to eliminate hunger. My current favorite breakfast is to take 2 slices of light wheat bread (45 cals per slice), soak them in 1/2 cup egg beaters mixed with some cinnamon, and cook it as french toast. Delicious and enough protein to keep me really satisfied.

Was the cottage cheese fat free? I've also found that sometimes if I have absolutely no fat in a day (like your menu shown above), I get hungry. Small amounts of healthy fats are good for you, and help to keep you satisfied also.

In winter, a cup of tea sometimes satisfies me also. It is warm and somewhat filling and comforting.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 07:58 PM   #3  

usually I have my smaller meals for breakfast and lunch because Im at work and I can sign up for a salad or fruit and cottege cheese, but the only other options they have are bad for me..its easier for me to eat something higher in fat, or more substance for dinner cause Im home, and Im going to want to eat it anyways...so I usually save my semi bigger meal till Dinner, I know thats backwards,but I dnt eat anything super bad, and I dont eat past 6:30.
Old 11-18-2007, 08:05 PM   #4  
Moderating Mama

It is OK to eat your bigger meal at dinner, but it won't help any with your hunger. Can you bring in your own food for lunch at work? Or special request not-so-healthy things to be healthier? I know that if I am low protein throughout my whole day, I end up hungry hungry hungry. Anything you can do to get more protein will help keep you satisfied.
Old 11-18-2007, 08:13 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 209/209/160

Height: 5'9

I'd be hungry too with a meal plan like that! Do you have a fridge at work? You could bring in some protein from home (grilled chicken breast or boiled eggs) to supplement your lunch and some snacks too: low fat yogurt, rykrisp or wasa crackers to have with peanut butter, chopped veggies and hummus. You're eating quite a bit of fruit, and that's ok, but you should try to add protein to them to help you to stay full and think about subbing some of your fruit for veggies. Veggies are often preferable to fruit--lower cal and higher fiber, so you can eat a larger volume and feel fuller. It might be worth shaving a couple of hundred calories off dinner to prevent this starvation throughout the day!
baffled111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 08:20 PM   #6  

S/C/G: Slow but steady

Height: 5' 11"

I agree with Amanda on all of the above.

The only thing i would add is adding some fiber. I eat LOTS of fiber. Makes me fill fuller for longer.

With the foods you listed above, i would be starving too. I cant eat stuff like oatmeal and cottage cheese without starving 5 minutes later. They have a little protien and fiber but not nearly enough, plus they have a lot of carbs. The snacks you mentioned are healthy, but carbish too. Try having some peanut butter with that apple. Then you will get protien, fiber, some healthy fat, and it will give your tummy somthing to digest. Or how bout some light wheat crackers with some laughing cow cheese? YUM. Or light string cheese?

I would definately make an effort to bring a lunch. And if you are going to have a fruit, add a protien to it.

For breakfast if i eat oatmeal i am starving a couple hours later. So how bout a Kashi cereal? I eat Kashi Go Lean Crunch with fresh blueberries or strawberries at 6:30 a.m. and i am not hungry til noon....seriously. That cereal has some serious protien and fiber. Which gives you major staying power. If you cant get it at work and you have to eat at work, take it with you and keep it at work. That is what i used to do all the time.

Hope this helps.

EDIT ADDED: Ditto to baffled as well. We posted at the same time i think.

Last edited by Get n healthy; 11-18-2007 at 08:21 PM.
Get n healthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 08:20 PM   #7  

Im so scared that if I eat more of something of substance, Im going to go crazy and eat a lot..my self control isnt that great..in some ways I feel like not eating stuff completely helps me so i dont lose control.
Old 11-18-2007, 08:43 PM   #8  

Height: 5'6"

If you're eating a bunch of diet foods, or fat free foods, they are purposely unsatisfying. Anything with the words "less sugar, less whatever, diet" mean that there's not enough of stuff in there to satisfy you. I've done a test before. I ate a diet version of something next to the regular version. I ate less of the regular version cause I didn't have the lingering feel of "I want more..."

Also, if you are heavier, then apples, bananas, fruit and the healthier foods aren't going to satisfy you if you're used to eating more. Also...you need foods that fill you up. So...I guess I would recommend eating some real food, just less of it.
Gamerchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 09:10 PM   #9  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by makinthechange View Post
Im so scared that if I eat more of something of substance, Im going to go crazy and eat a lot..my self control isnt that great..in some ways I feel like not eating stuff completely helps me so i dont lose control.
What do you mean by something of substance? Do you mean like chicken breasts? Or carbs?

Do you count calories? That's what keeps me in check. That's what sets my portion size. I also try to make just enough food for what I will be eating at that one sitting. I don't do well with extras, so making just enough for that one meal also helps to keep me in line.

You might want to try adding in some protein based, single portion snacks. Like a fat free/sugar free yogurt. I add in 1/4 cup of Fiber One cereal to boost the filling power and the nutritional value.

You might want to try bringing along some veggies as snacks also. Baby carrots, grape tomatoes, string beans, a clemintine, grapes. You can put them in little baggies and eat them throughout the day. They're low in calories, but very filling.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 09:18 PM   #10  

Im a vegetarian...so I dont do chicken breats anyways..maybe I need to start bringing snacks to work with me or something. I just had lentil soup for dinner..2.5 grams of fat, and 130 calories...that filled me up for now, but I know it wont last. I eat pretzils a lot to lessen the hunger...

whats "a clementine"
Old 11-18-2007, 09:21 PM   #11  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

A clemintine is in the orange family. It's tiny and about 30 calories.

Those snacks I mentioned is what I nibble on throughout the day and I tell you it really keeps me full and satisfied. They're much more nutritious and filling then pretzels. Maybe with the lentil soup you could have had a nice big salad. Do you eat fish? Tuna and salmon are very good protein sources.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 09:25 PM   #12  
Moderating Mama

130 calories isn't a lot to fill ANYONE up for much time, no matter how much fiber and protein it is. If you are working with 1300 calories a day, for example, you'd eat that amount of calories TEN times a day! If you are eating 3 meals that size, plus 3 snacks half that size (with size referring to calories), you're only eating at most 800 calories a day. It simply isn't enough to keep your body going!

You might want to check your calories for a few days. Maybe you're losing control because you aren't eating enough calories to keep your body happy. It is HARD to not be hungry under 1200 calories per day.

Pretzels are, basically, empty in terms of keeping you full...all quick-burning carb. Something with some protein and fiber would probably keep you full a lot longer. Maybe a bowl of fiber one with some soy milk or some other fiber/protein combination would work for you.

Last edited by mandalinn82; 11-18-2007 at 09:31 PM.
Old 11-18-2007, 09:43 PM   #13  

I think that I just need to rethink this whole process. Ive been losing, and good..but I had a diet buddy(a friend of mine) who I thought knew what she was doing, and she had me and her eating no more then 10 grams of fat a day...is that not enough? we werent even counting calories...and no sugar...etc..so I have this idea in my head that if I eat over 10 grams of fat Im cheating.
Old 11-18-2007, 09:57 PM   #14  
Moderating Mama

Different approaches work for different people. For me, 10 g of fat a day, and not counting calories, wouldn't work at all. I make a whole wheat french bread with absolutely no fat or sugarin it...and about 1200 calories per loaf. I could NOT have a free pass to eat that bread, because I lose weight by keeping my calories at a reasonable level. Also, your body needs a certain amount of fat to function. Throughout my weightloss, I averaged probably 20-25% of my total calories from fat.

I would really recommend that you try a tool like FitDay to see what you are eating in terms of calories a day. It might be eye opening! Certainly if you aren't eating enough calories, that'd explain the hunger!
Old 11-18-2007, 10:02 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 209/209/160

Height: 5'9

Ok, no, no, no, no! We need a serious re-evaluation over here!

Oatmeal for brekkie, fruit and cottage cheese for lunch, more fruit and then 130 cals of lentil soup for dinner? This is a recipe for disaster!!! You're starving yourself and that really is counterproductive for weight loss.

10 grams of fat is only 90 calories from fat a day (a gram of fat has 9 calories, protein and carbs have 4). In a 1200 calorie diet, that's about 13% of calories from fat--you can probably go as high as 20-25% without incident. But fat grams are relative. More important over all are your actual calories consumed and expended.

I recommend calorie counting. Go sign up for an account at Fitday or the Daily Plate and start tracking what you eat. Depending on your height, weight and age, you should be able to lose on between 1200 and 2000 calories a day. There is no good reason for you to be eating so little, really! It won't help in the long run (especially if you're driven to eating something as nutritionally void as pretzels to keep starvation at bay!) No starving!!!
baffled111 is offline   Reply With Quote